• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is God real?

:shock:

Something that drives me crazy is when faith-based people claim that science is trying to disprove God. When the truth is actually the oposite. Everything that I've studied has shown that science is very much working towards proving the existence of God. The problem is the term "God" is so ambiguous and loose. It's just a word describing a mystery. A mystery that science is working towards solving. Sure, they may not discover the answers next week, next year, or the next thousand years...but does that mean they should just stop searching? No. The only way to get answers is to work through the mystery.

Another thing is when faith-based people say that Scientists or science-based people, "act like they have all the answers." Hmmm...I have not seen this evidence. Science works with probability and theories. Those two ideas are not definitive answers. They are processes in which a scientist uses to search for answers.

Now, from a faith-based person's perspective (someone who doesn't look for truth, but assumes they have it already) I can see where these people would get the impression that science-based people think they have all the answers. The majority of these faith-based people only see what the wanna see. Isn't that the definition of faith anyhow? That which they imagine to be true?

I am a spiritually/scientifically curious person. I have hope that there's something out there beyond myself or the world around me. However I do not believe it. In order to believe something, I would need proof. Proof equals Belief. Faith equals Hope.

-WiseRufus

Comrade Brian said:
yeah, whatever

If God is so perfect he wouldn't have created people with flaws to mess things up, and that still wouldn't answer the question Who created God or Gods?

Read Genesis for an honest answer to why men have flaws. God had no beginning. Before you scoff at that, explain how matter could have created itself out of nothing and exploded, resulting in an orderly process. Absolutely ridiculous.

JustBob said:
Read Genesis for an honest answer to why men have flaws. God had no beginning. Before you scoff at that, explain how matter could have created itself out of nothing and exploded, resulting in an orderly process. Absolutely ridiculous.

:doh
It's about fifty thousand times less ridiculous than saying that The Invisible Man, who lives in the sky...created everything. At least the "matter" idea has a little thing called evidence.

JustBob said:

I already read Genesis, I can't answer your question cause I don't know which I already stated, but who or what created god then?

Comrade Brian said:
I already read Genesis, I can't answer your question cause I don't know which I already stated, but who or what created god then?

Why does everything need a genesis? Isn't it enough to know that God exists...OR would you have someone who has a limited understanding, try to explain to you about a God that exists outside of time...

Comrade Brian said:

"For something to exist, It must be created." this is a physical law that cann't be applied on The God .

Let's imagine a dialogue between 2 blind dolls moved by strings connected to a man's fingers :

1: can you tell me how the human beings move ?
2: They move by themselves .
1: Without strings ?
2: Yes
1: I cann't understand how something can move without strings .
2: This is because you move only by strings and your whole world moves by strings, So you can't imagine a world without strings .
1: Can you prove it ?
2: It depends on 2 items: 1st is your faith in human being, they tell us that they move without strings so if you're sure that they don't tell lies so you should believe them and be convinced . The second is that if they're moved by strings like us you can also say that their movers are also moved by strings by higher movers......and so on till you must reach the superior mover who moves autonomously without strings .

I can say that human beings are blind dolls who can't imagine that The God was not created .

Ok so something created the universe, why does that have to be a god, why can't it be a greater universe, or some greater dimension, that we have no knowledge of or can't comprehend. And then beyond that some graeter dimension. And this goes on an infinite number of times. Why does it have to be a higher being or a creator or something. Why does it have to be the universe and then bam the creator. Maybe there is an infinite, boundless creator, but its just as possible as the idea of a greater universe, or a different dimension. There's no way to prove it.

nkgupta80 said:
Ok so something created the universe, why does that have to be a god, why can't it be a greater universe, or some greater dimension, that we have no knowledge of or can't comprehend. And then beyond that some graeter dimension. And this goes on an infinite number of times. Why does it have to be a higher being or a creator or something. Why does it have to be the universe and then bam the creator. Maybe there is an infinite, boundless creator, but its just as possible as the idea of a greater universe, or a different dimension. There's no way to prove it.

How about there just might be some things that we never will no... Belief in a creator stems from seeing what is, and knowing that it wouldn't be that way without some form of intelligent design...

thats just what i am saying. There's somethings we just will never know. Maybe there is an intelligent being that created us, but theres no way of knowing that it ends there. We just can't guess, so there's no right or wrong view.

nkgupta80 said:
thats just what i am saying. There's somethings we just will never know. Maybe there is an intelligent being that created us, but theres no way of knowing that it ends there. We just can't guess, so there's no right or wrong view.

You can know...

Anyone can know...

All they have to do is ask God to make Himself real to them...

And whats he gonna do, show himself? give you a sign? perform a miracle? talk to you?

If he did, he sure as hell didn't for me.

Don't get angry... He will show Himself, simply ask, and don't doubt...

oh haha i wasnt angry.

sorry i dont believe in a personal god you can talk to

nkgupta80 said:
sorry i dont believe in a personal god you can talk to

If anyone has ever had a real conversation with their god, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us?
A stranger on the bus...
just tryin to make his way home.

;)

Tashah said:
What if God was one of us?
Just a slob like one of us?
A stranger on the bus...
just tryin to make his way home.

;)

Dr Evil did not write that.

If God were one of us, then would this mean we're all God?

alex said:
If anyone has ever had a real conversation with their god, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

He told me that I should kill my neighbour.

Montalban said:
He told me that I should kill my neighbour.

You wouldn't be David Horowitz (Son of Sam) perchance?

"just kidding?"

Tashah said:
You wouldn't be David Horowitz (Son of Sam) perchance?

I thought that if I said "President" some people would think that I was being serious, and I'd get into all sorts of trouble from two different governments.

I actually can't stand this of American stand-up comedy, where a comedian comes out and says "Only kidding" at the end. How stupid are people that they see a comedian and he has to point out that he's making jokes? Or that age-old method of having a drummer behind him beat to the punch-line so you know when to laugh.

David Letterman* modified this to do some kind of air punch so you know when it's okay.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic

*Who's so stupid, I don't watch him anymore. I saw him years ago when "Crowded House" played. The singer/song-writer is a New Zealander, the bassist, and drummer (who has since died) are Australian, and filling in, they had an American guitarist.
At the end of the session, Letterman goes up to the wrong one (you guess which) to do a fake "G'day mate" to him!

There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
But you'll never see the end of the road
while you're traveling with me...​

;)

Tashah said:
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
But you'll never see the end of the road
while you're traveling with me...​

;)

I will continue my one man campaign against stupid American comedy.

(Some American comedy is intelligent and/or funny; viz The Simpsons, and the improptu mayhem on "Who's Line is it Anyway")

Does God exist...interesting question.

The answer is as simple as this: Who cares? People are happy believing in something. The existance of God could never be proven...or disproven.

There are some interesting arguments, though:

"'I refuse to prove that I exist' says God, 'For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing'"

"If God did not exist, we would have to make him up"

In short, don't bother thinking about it, because in the end you'll find that it doesn't make a difference one way or another. Maybe that's a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom