• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is God male or female?

Is God a male or a female?

• Total voters

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The answers to your question are respectively "neither" and, if you want to get technical about things, "male."

It is "neither" because God is ultimately a sexless incorporeal spirit of limitless power and intelligence.

That being said, however; it should be pointed out that Christ was, and according to most theology, still is, a man. Therefore, God can, technically speaking, be said to be "male" in nature rather than female.

The answers to your question are respectively "neither" and, if you want to get technical about things, "male."

It is "neither" because God is ultimately a sexless incorporeal spirit of limitless power and intelligence.

That being said, however; it should be pointed out that Christ was, and according to most theology, still is, a man. Therefore, God can, technically speaking, be said to be "male" in nature rather than female.

What does Jesus's gender have to do with God's gender?

Doesn't the Bible refer to him as Him repeatedly and describe Him as a male?

Deep subject.

Let's see. Women have periods, babies, menopause...

I'd guess male.

Are you implying that since women give birth and men do not that God is female?

What does Jesus's gender have to do with God's gender?

Jesus is the second persona of the Holy Trinity, and therefore God.

Doesn't the Bible refer to him as Him repeatedly and describe Him as a male?

With male pronouns, yes. Again, however, given the fact that God is a spiritual, rather than physical being, this doesn't really mean much of anything.

pull up its skirt and give it a look?

Jesus is the second persona of the Holy Trinity, and therefore God.

With male pronouns, yes. Again, however, given the fact that God is a spiritual, rather than physical being, this doesn't really mean much of anything.

I thought that the Trinity was Father, Son (Jesus) and Holy Spirit. Doesn't that mean that Jesus IS God? Then what is the Father?

Neither. God is not a person. Any description that attaches personal attributes to God are just very vague analogies that allow man to imagine *something*, at least a remote glimpse of God, but the analogy should not be mistaken for reality. God is incomprehensible by definition, as the comprehended (man) can never fully understand the comprehending (God).

It is my belief that God sent countless messengers or prophets to mankind, who founded new religions or rather "updated" old ones. Among others, Abraham, Moses, Krishna, Zarathustra, Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed and Baha'u'llah were such divine prophets sent by the one and only God, and accordingly, all of the religions they founded are equally true. Differences in these religions are due to the necessities of a fallible, developing mankind in different stages of its development.

That's a fundamental teaching of my religion, so I have to conclude that all those seemingly conflicting images of God and metaphysical explanations in these different religions are equally true, and where we perceive unreconcilable differences, we either don't try hard enough to concile them, or hit the barrier of our limited fallible human understanding.

The different religions are just looking at the same reality from different perspectives. Likewise, God is not anymore a person than He is a force, a principle or a manner of thinking.

To be the creator, God would have to be a hermaphrodite. I don't mean that to be snarky, just realistic. The odds are the God doesn't look a whole lot like you do.

Neither. God is not a person. Any description that attaches personal attributes to God are just very vague analogies that allow man to imagine *something*, at least a remote glimpse of God, but the analogy should not be mistaken for reality. God is incomprehensible by definition, as the comprehended (man) can never fully understand the comprehending (God).

It is my belief that God sent countless messengers or prophets to mankind, who founded new religions or rather "updated" old ones. Among others, Abraham, Moses, Krishna, Zarathustra, Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed and Baha'u'llah were such divine prophets sent by the one and only God, and accordingly, all of the religions they founded are equally true. Differences in these religions are due to the necessities of a fallible, developing mankind in different stages of its development.

That's a fundamental teaching of my religion, so I have to conclude that all those seemingly conflicting images of God and metaphysical explanations in these different religions are equally true, and where we perceive unreconcilable differences, we either don't try hard enough to concile them, or hit the barrier of our limited fallible human understanding.

The different religions are just looking at the same reality from different perspectives. Likewise, God is not anymore a person than He is a force, a principle or a manner of thinking.

I have thought much the same... very good explanation though.

If God was a snake wouldn't we be following Lucifer? ;)

that or Thulsa Doom (extra credit if you get the reference without google)

good point-order up some apples

I thought that the Trinity was Father, Son (Jesus) and Holy Spirit. Doesn't that mean that Jesus IS God? Then what is the Father?

They're all God, technically; just different aspects of him. "God the Father" is God as he appears in heaven, in his purest form. "God the Son" is God's earthly avatar and link with humanity. I'm not entirely sure what the Holy Spirit signifies, but I think it has something to do with God's all encompassing presence throughout creation.

All are distinct entities which somehow make up the greater nature of one complete being.

How exactly all of this works is completely beyond me. I'm pretty sure that I just completely butchered the explanation I provided above anyway. :lol:

To be the creator, God would have to be a hermaphrodite. I don't mean that to be snarky, just realistic. The odds are the God doesn't look a whole lot like you do.

Why would a deity need sex organs at all?

Last edited:
Why not start with whether there is such a thing as God?

that or Thulsa Doom (extra credit if you get the reference without google)

good point-order up some apples

I knew it! I looked anyway to verify... but it's James Earl Jones in Conan. I wasn't positive so I looked, DAMN IT! :lol:

I was bored. Tried it with a "Turtle" too... nothing definitive there either. ;)

glad to know in case I get the urge to do either I won't bother ... btw, don't try it with a bear ... I used to have a cousin who tried it ...

I was bored. Tried it with a "Turtle" too... nothing definitive there either. ;)

most tortoises-the males have concave lower shells (fits on top of the lady tortoise) while the females are flat (more room for eggs)

that scene in the first conan film where JEJ turns into a python was massive cool

Back
Top Bottom