• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is free will an illusion?

Is 'free will' an illsuion?

• Of course

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • It's real

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
Maybe the duality isnt even needed in this debate. Hard determinism isnt something i think we can prove with a huge amount of certainty without a hefty amount of ad hockery. I take a soft deterministic approach.

Can't we say that hard determinism exists in everything in this world with the exception of humans?

Can't we say that hard determinism exists in everything in this world with the exception of humans?
I dont know if we can even say that without a major amount of ad hockery.

I dont know if we can even say that without a major amount of ad hockery.

No clue what that means, but does anything in nature, besides humans, act with free will?

No clue what that means, but does anything in nature, besides humans, act with free will?
I dont believe humans have libertarian free will nor does anything. I just dont believe in hard determinism either.

It does matter...Jehovah God wants us to love Him from our own free choice, because we understand that our Creator wants only what is best for us, not because He programs us to...
Once again, an omniscient god negates the possibility of choice.

5a355acd6bf9aefcee758ea724837a7f.jpg

Once again, an omniscient god negates the possibility of choice.

How so? Could not such a God set an environment for a species which enabled free choice?

(For what reason I cannot imagine)

How so? Could not such a God set an environment for a species which enabled free choice?

(For what reason I cannot imagine)
That's only possible if God was not omniscient.

You have not explained your submission, you merely repeated it.
I've explained how an omnipotent, Omniscient god negates the possibility of free will many times now. Those are necessary qualities to logically negate free will.

I've explained how an omnipotent, Omniscient god negates the possibility of free will many times now. Those are necessary qualities to logically negate free will.

Oh, you won't ansewer. Then stay out of my thread. Thanks.

Oh, you won't ansewer. Then stay out of my thread. Thanks.
I did answer but you simply don't get it. Here, I'll make it as simple as possible: omnipotent God sets everything in motion with full knowledge of how things will go and turn out. Therefore we are unable to choose or do anything to alter that. Everything is predetermined.

Isn't everything?

If God is omnipotent and omniscient, then yes.
He is so bored being all powerful that he has to forget and slum as a mortal to enjoy anything.

I did answer but you simply don't get it. Here, I'll make it as simple as possible: omnipotent God sets everything in motion with full knowledge of how things will go and turn out. Therefore we are unable to choose or do anything to alter that. Everything is predetermined.

This is a false premise. A God that is omnipotent could simply do carve out to keep himself purposely unaware.

Sorry, you fail.

This is a false premise. A God that is omnipotent could simply do carve out to keep himself purposely unaware.

Sorry, you fail.
Then God would not be omniscient, which makes free will possible.

Then God would not be omniscient, which makes free will possible.

Your logic is ****ed up.
You can know everything and not resource that knowledge if you choose.

Your logic is ****ed up.
If God knows everything, then God knows what will happen in advance. We are unable to alter that in any way.

Your logic is ****ed up.
I'll tell you what if ****ed up: God is omniscient, God knows everything before it happens. Yet, God loves you and only want the best for you, but if you f*** up you go to hell, now God knew before hand you would F-up and knew before hand that God is going to sent you to hell, I guess you could call that "not resourcing knowledge".

I'll tell you what if ****ed up: God is omniscient, God knows everything before it happens. Yet, God loves you and only want the best for you, but if you f*** up you go to hell, now God knew before hand you would F-up and knew before hand that God is going to sent you to hell, I guess you could call that "not resourcing knowledge".
Exactly. A God that seems surprised and disappointed when we mess up is rather odd if said God already knew we would mess up. The God of the Bible is a logical contradiction.

Back
Top Bottom