• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is FOXNEWS fair and balanced?

Is FOXNEWS fair and balanced?

• Yes, they present both sides of issue

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • No, they definatly slant toward conservative news

Votes: 50 66.7%
  • I don't watch FOXNEWS

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • They used to be very conservative, now they are fair and balanced.

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
Pacridge said:
when the Hannity and Comb's Show first came on the air he told a USA today interviewer who asked him: "So you're the liberal on the show?" he responded "Well, actually I'm quite moderate"

Most Liberals say they are moderate. They think their views are mainstream.

Most 'liberals' are moderate. The liberal is all but gone from modern American politics. Perhaps you should answer this question: If liberals exist in some good nuber today, than you must be able to explain to me what a liberal is. So, what is a liberal?

Fox has one liberal that they show every single day. His name is Alan Colmes. He looks like a squirrell, and who do they pair him with. A conservative who people think is handsome, is dominative, and always argues. If you ever decided to see how much each speaks, Alan speaks 33% for them and Hannity does the other 66%. And when Alan does speak, it is little comments like "Well, I don't think" that nobody listens to. Fox also trotts out liberals who are on their payrolls so that they can give a moderate view and then be yelled at by the other guests. Now, is that balanced? Hell no, and it sure as hell ain't fair.

I only watch it when O'reilly has someone on that I want to see, the most recent example Ward Churchill who he proceeded to call unAmerican and an asshole (which I partly agree with but it isn't right to call someone that no matter their beliefs...).

Whatever, just my take.

gypsy0032 said:
I had to vote "no". I think Foxnews is as far right as CNN is left.
Fox is part of the Neo-CON death squad! None of the Neo-CONS will be satisfied until America as it was is no more! You remember back when we were FREE? :applaud

Jack Dawson said:
Please list the FOX lies! Be Specific

Well, why don't we try ALL the statements of "As someone put it"...that is essentially a lie on any network because they are just stated opinion with no basis of support for it. When they introduce that as a talking point, it just evolves. And to people lying, I don't have time to even list all the ones that Bill O'reilly has done, but I will go the last episode of his that I watched. It involved UCSD broadcasting a sex class on the closed circuit tv. That station is paid for by the students, yet, O'Reilly continually stated that it was paid for by the taxpayers, and even when confronted about the fact it was not, still held to that. Talk about a bold-faced lie.

The above two posts illustrates the negativity and ludicrous thinking that has captured some minds. Churchill said it best: If you are young and are not liberal you have no heart, if you are old are not conservative you have no brain.

Churchill was not a very good leader. He managed to hold off the Germans for a year at the expense of his own people, who starved in some cases thanks to his sending all he money to the war effort. He was voted out of office in '44! I wouldn't trust anything he says at face value, unless you sincerly respect the guy. And please tell me how there is anything smart about being a conservative. Is invading a country on the premise that 'they might' have WMDs smart? Is it smart to call a war in which 17,000 civilians have died 'humanitarian'? Is it smart to lie repeatedly about SS in front of public audiences? They certainly seem pretty dumb to me.

:drink What Fox News doesn't tell you! They never talk about the fact that the New CONservatives are actually the old big spending Democrates of the 70s. They don't talk about how the RepuliCONS are now the party of big Government. The only difference is that the old Dems. raised taxes to pay for it, and the new Repubs. put our unborn children in debt to pay their way!:drink

Jack Dawson said:
The above two posts illustrates the negativity and ludicrous thinking that has captured some minds. Churchill said it best: If you are young and are not liberal you have no heart, if you are old are not conservative you have no brain.

so instead of rebutting anything I say, you resort to quoting a "proverb" to say that I will see the light when I am older. Well, two words, GROW UP. If you are concerned about other people, you are a liberal, and if you are concerned about yourself, you are a concervative. If you want equality for all and no more special treatment, then you are liberal; if you want more for yourself and "equality" for yourself, then you are a concervative.

ShamMol said:
If you are concerned about other people, you are a liberal, and if you are concerned about yourself, you are a concervative. If you want equality for all and no more special treatment, then you are liberal; if you want more for yourself and "equality" for yourself, then you are a concervative.

:lol: :monkey

If you are concerned about other people, you are a liberal, and if you are concerned about yourself, you are a concervative. If you want equality for all and no more special treatment, then you are liberal; if you want more for yourself and "equality" for yourself, then you are a concervative.

Interesting. If I were to try to define the differences it would be the same paragraph above with liberal and conservative switched.

Its amazing how folks just try to draw a distinct line between liberal and conservatives. There really is not one. I find you agreeing with conservatives more often then you would acknowlegde and find many conservatives doing the same on the liberal side.

But still the proverb remains true. Many ideas that are considered liberal today, in 30 years will be conservative because the folks with those ideas have aged.

vauge said:
Interesting. If I were to try to define the differences it would be the same paragraph above with liberal and conservative switched.

Its amazing how folks just try to draw a distinct line between liberal and conservatives. There really is not one. I find you agreeing with conservatives more often then you would acknowlegde and find many conservatives doing the same on the liberal side.

But still the proverb remains true. Many ideas that are considered liberal today, in 30 years will be conservative because the folks with those ideas have aged.

I think there are vast differences between conservatives and liberals. I think what you're hit on is most people tend to be moderates. While the money funding either movement comes from the extremes. Hence what ends up being put up out in ads represent those with the funding. IMO this is, in part, what has lead to the polarization of our nation.

I assume the proverb you're referencing is the afore mentioned Churchill quote? Personally, unlike the previous poster, I'm a fan. However the quote regarding liberal and conservative doesn't take into account that ideals have somewhat changed since Churchill's time and he wouldn't likely recognize many of the postions either side is taking in relation to the respective movements.

You manage to prove over and over and over again you have no FACTS to back up your statement that Fox News LIES.

Pitiful, pitiful name calling and nothing else. And by the way your fancy talk does not impress anyone but your self. For you to take effective 'shots' at me like "grow up', will only be effective if I give you permission. First of all you are the juvenile because you can NOT be specific on your claims that Fox News lies and secondly I don't give you that permission.

Jack Dawson said:
You manage to prove over and over and over again you have no FACTS to back up your statement that Fox News LIES.

Pitiful, pitiful name calling and nothing else. And by the way your fancy talk does not impress anyone but your self. For you to take effective 'shots' at me like "grow up', will only be effective if I give you permission. First of all you are the juvenile because you can NOT be specific on your claims that Fox News lies and secondly I don't give you that permission.

Who are you referring to?

that's a good point, and why don't you check my first post in this topic, i pointed out just one example.

That proverb is such an old example of the division that it is outdated.

Last edited:
From the "Project For Excellence in Journalism."

"Fox news anchors and reporters injected their own opinions into 73% of the networks stories about Iraq last year."

"In contrast, 29% of the war reports on MSNBC and 2% of those on CNN included the journalists own views."

Remember....Watching FOX makes you stupid.

Hoot said:
From the "Project For Excellence in Journalism."

"Fox news anchors and reporters injected their own opinions into 73% of the networks stories about Iraq last year."

"In contrast, 29% of the war reports on MSNBC and 2% of those on CNN included the journalists own views."

Remember....Watching FOX makes you stupid.

Did they distinguish the difference between the "opinion" section of the show with the reporting section? They may be flawed in thier analysis as we can expect opinions in the applicable segment.

Pacridge said:
I think there are vast differences between conservatives and liberals. I think what you're hit on is most people tend to be moderates. While the money funding either movement comes from the extremes. Hence what ends up being put up out in ads represent those with the funding. IMO this is, in part, what has lead to the polarization of our nation.

I assume the proverb you're referencing is the afore mentioned Churchill quote? Personally, unlike the previous poster, I'm a fan. However the quote regarding liberal and conservative doesn't take into account that ideals have somewhat changed since Churchill's time and he wouldn't likely recognize many of the postions either side is taking in relation to the respective movements.
Perhaps this is the Churchillian quote that is being considered, since it contains references to liberal, conservative, and thirty years:

"Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has not heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains."
- Sir Winston Churchill

To slightly bend a line from the Shaw character, Professor Henry Higgins, "I think he's got it! By George, he's got it!"

I love Fox News because it is very right slanted, but I believe I need to hear both sides of an issue before I choose what to believe.

Of course they slant to the right but I'm not sure I know any other news station that does.

I think PBS and NPR (to a lesser degree) are pretty balanced. When I say PBS I mean The News Hour with Jim Leher.

Re: Is FOXNEWS fair and balanced? HAHAHAHA

Pacridge said:

So, watch Fox all you want. Enjoy it. Embrace it. Love it. Just don't believe it.

I am totally with you on this. Any person that watches Foxnews and believes they are seeing actual news are day dreaming.
The only way a person can avoid the abuse of right wing politics or left wing is by watching poison from both sides. Heck! I hate Foxnews with a exciting "plaisir" but I still watch it. And to be sure I was not brain washed, I flip the channel and watch ( OH YES YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT: EuroNews) or some more left oriented news channel. After a couple of lies from the right and left. Any person would feel better infromed, because if a lie is repeated by totally different (when talking about their ideology) you can be sure you are getting some truth.

By: Atlas

Back
Top Bottom