• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is FOXNEWS fair and balanced?

Is FOXNEWS fair and balanced?

• Yes, they present both sides of issue

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • No, they definatly slant toward conservative news

Votes: 50 66.7%
  • I don't watch FOXNEWS

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • They used to be very conservative, now they are fair and balanced.

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters
All I have to Say is:

CBS statment:

"As broadcasters, we aim to ensure that our national viewing audience is reflected in our programming and our people.

We recognize that a work force comprised of a wide variety of perspectives, viewpoints and backgrounds is integral to our continued success.

This is not a campaign, but rather a fundamental way of doing business at CBS, and we continue to be steadfast in our goal to become more diverse and more representative of the public we serve."

-Leslie Moonves
Co-President & Co-Chief Operating Officer, Viacom
Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, CBS
www.cbsdiversity.com

So anyone think these guys are fair! :rofl

KansasMeg said:
I think PBS and NPR (to a lesser degree) are pretty balanced. When I say PBS I mean The News Hour with Jim Leher.
Wow, I am back...don't know why i left...

I see that the actual news portions of NPR to be very straight forward with very little commentary (except on monday when coki roberts, you know, that woman from tv, comes in and gives her views which are actually quite accurate in analysis...but i digress). the other stuff is just...wierd and usually liberal if they express any political views at all. I love however, one show on NPR, which i don't know if it is a california thing or not...Left, Right and Center, which has all the perspectives and no parties-which is the true way to debate in my opinion.

PBS i don't honestly watch that much because i get my news in the morning from NPR, but when i do, i find it is pretty fair. Now one place where NPR can be considered liberal is in what stories they cover. They don't go always for the major stories but instead choose to focus in on the little guy, the person who is affected by government action, whether it be democrat or republican...it brings a different perspective which i appreciate.

I think that basically, Fox News is fair and balanced in their reporting. Even if I'm wrong and there exists a slight right tilt to the organization, it is no worse than the left leaning CNN, CBS, ABC, or NBC. Fox does a good job of bringing about debate and full coverage and even though many on the staff are conservative, you also have liberals such as Greta Van Sustern, Juan Williams, Geraldo Rivera, and also Independents such as Bill O'reilly(and yes, he is independent). Maybe I am a little biased because I do trust the network a little more and prefer their brand but I am trying to be objective.

What does it matter? All media outlets are slanted one way or another. It is up to us to gather as much info on any given topic and see though the BS and make up our own minds. Anyone who gets their info from just Fox (or CNN for a left view) is myopic, close minded, stupid, can't see the forest for the trees, or just plain evil. When discussing any given topic the loser emerges when they refuse to answer a simple yes or no question. Don't base your view on someone else's data but on right or wrong. In the end there is no gray area. So get the rights view from O'riley and the lefts from Bill Moyers. The real answer is usually somewhere between them.

FOXNEWS is anything but "fair and balanced", I personally think they are almost all extreme right-wing, colmes is a bit moderate, but he hardly gets a chance to talk. O'reilly is the worst, along with ann coulter

There is no chance in my opnion that Fox News is balanced, and I happen to be a conservative myself. I think that it's stupid that they claim to be fair and balanced when the only show with a semblance of a liberal is Hannity and Colmes, in which case Colmes does not matter. Or, as Al Franken put it, "HANNITY AND COLMES" :rofl

Also, it pisses me off when all I hear is how liberally biased everyone else that's not conservative is, when in fact, their rival, CNN, is much more balanced than Fox News. Ugh.....oh well.

neccy60 said:
There is no chance in my opnion that Fox News is balanced, and I happen to be a conservative myself. I think that it's stupid that they claim to be fair and balanced when the only show with a semblance of a liberal is Hannity and Colmes, in which case Colmes does not matter. Or, as Al Franken put it, "HANNITY AND COLMES" :rofl

Also, it pisses me off when all I hear is how liberally biased everyone else that's not conservative is, when in fact, their rival, CNN, is much more balanced than Fox News. Ugh.....oh well.
Well said! :applaud

C-Span and all of it's sequels are still in my opinion the most balanced way to go. You get the message straight from the horses mouth, or @#$ depending on how asinine the topic/speaker. :stooges

WKL815 said:
They have Geraldo. He's insane...ly liberal. They have Juan Williams on all the time. And I know he's not a liberal's favorite liberal, but they have the honest Alan Colmes. Then there's a couple of regulars on Fox News Watch on the discussion panel whose names I can't remember.

I will admit that I LOVE FoxNews and they definitely make me happy.

But the beautiful thing is that I am not sure whether it's because they are slanted to the right, or just not horribly slanted to the left like everyone else!

Ha! I get giddy just thinking about it!

You mention Alan Colmes. About that... Colmes one of the tools that Fox News uses as a facade to support their slogan "Fair and Balanced." They're brilliant enough to recognize that without presenting the image of both conservative and liberal views (while the left is left far in the minority in terms of air time), they will lose the remaining credibility they have as a valid news channel. However, when you flip on Hannity and Colmes, who do YOU think the real center of attention is? Hannity is outspoken and large (literally), while Colmes may be found in the Encylopedia Britannica under "Timid Churchmouse"! The point is, Fox News deliberately directs your attention to listen to Colmes say one thing, and Hannity to rip it apart. Watch a documentary called Outfoxed , it details the conservative foundations and present biases found on Fox. You know, we have to question ourselves as to why we need so many new channels. Is one news more correct than the other? That's the way they would have it, it seems.

-Aeschines

I've actually enjoyed catching some of C-SPAN. At least they don't have all those hyper-active graphics on some of those other news channels. Despite it's "boring" reputation, it can be very entertaining if you tune in at the right time. ;)

akyron said:
That is not a documentary dude.
I haven't seen it, but from the people I have talked to, it is very straight foward about the fact it hates fox, but that its sources and facts are pretty much true. That would lend itself to be at least informative if not a documentary.

teacher said:
What does it matter? All media outlets are slanted one way or another. It is up to us to gather as much info on any given topic and see though the BS and make up our own minds. Anyone who gets their info from just Fox (or CNN for a left view) is myopic, close minded, stupid, can't see the forest for the trees, or just plain evil. When discussing any given topic the loser emerges when they refuse to answer a simple yes or no question. Don't base your view on someone else's data but on right or wrong. In the end there is no gray area. So get the rights view from O'riley and the lefts from Bill Moyers. The real answer is usually somewhere between them.

Best post on the thread.

Who really cares if Fox News is biased. I will grant that I usually chuckle when I watch it because of it's slant, much in the same way I'll fume when I read Times editorials because of their slant.

Know what that's an argument for? Not complaining about Fox News, but for watching more than one damn news channel.

Or, ideally, not watching ANY news channels, but rather getting your news from other sources.

Fox news is the #1 news channel BECAUSE it provides a slanted news that is sometimes so refreshing from the overwhelmingly liberal press.

Rupert Murdoch :thumbdown one of the top 3 neo-conservatives in the world, a real problem with what is wrong with this country

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom