• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Donald Trump the most successful/accomplished first term President in decades?

CanadaJohn

Canadian Conservative
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I'm no fan of President Trump's style/persona and certainly wasn't supportive of him for the Republican nomination, but let's look at the record, objectively, ignoring the media generated background noise and his insatiable need to react to it and see what he's done in his first 17 months in office:

* nominated and got approved a conservative justice to the Supreme Court to retain the balance on the court that existed previously.

* promoted and passed legislation to reduce taxes, particularly corporate tax rates that were previously the highest in the G20 and are now among the lowest.

* eliminated many job killing regulations enacted by the Obama administration, coupled with his tax changes, that have seen US job growth and unemployment rates at their best levels this century

* goaded and prodded many his NATO cohorts into increasing their defense responsibilities and contributions to the joint safety of the group.

* approved job growth and economic boosting projects like the Keystone and Dakota pipelines and moved to bring an end to the ban on drilling for oil in ANWR.

* perhaps most importantly, unlike all of his predecessors, has moved to bring about movement on the part of North Korea to end its hostilities with South Korea and have a meeting of the heads of state of those two countries and the US to move towards the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula and bring North Korea into the 21st century and out of the group of rogue nations.

There are other accomplishments that could be listed, but just this list is remarkable, in my view, for a President who has been under attack from the left and the MSM from day one. If he keeps up this pace, he may be looked upon as one of the greatest US Presidents of all time.

No, he is not.

Trump was not my first choice either and I didn't vote for him in the primaries, but I'm also impressed with his accomplishments, despite the perpetual headwind, rhetoric and general hatred from the Left.
I'll add to your list how impressed I am with the focus on our nation's sovereignty, respect for our borders, our opioid epidemic and gang problem.

I'm no fan of President Trump's style/persona and certainly wasn't supportive of him for the Republican nomination, but let's look at the record, objectively, ignoring the media generated background noise and his insatiable need to react to it and see what he's done in his first 17 months in office:

* nominated and got approved a conservative justice to the Supreme Court to retain the balance on the court that existed previously.

* promoted and passed legislation to reduce taxes, particularly corporate tax rates that were previously the highest in the G20 and are now among the lowest.

* eliminated many job killing regulations enacted by the Obama administration, coupled with his tax changes, that have seen US job growth and unemployment rates at their best levels this century

* goaded and prodded many his NATO cohorts into increasing their defense responsibilities and contributions to the joint safety of the group.

* approved job growth and economic boosting projects like the Keystone and Dakota pipelines and moved to bring an end to the ban on drilling for oil in ANWR.

* perhaps most importantly, unlike all of his predecessors, has moved to bring about movement on the part of North Korea to end its hostilities with South Korea and have a meeting of the heads of state of those two countries and the US to move towards the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula and bring North Korea into the 21st century and out of the group of rogue nations.

There are other accomplishments that could be listed, but just this list is remarkable, in my view, for a President who has been under attack from the left and the MSM from day one. If he keeps up this pace, he may be looked upon as one of the greatest US Presidents of all time.

WTF??? C'mon john. You used to be better than to buy into Trump propaganda. Half of those things are not unique to trump.

as far as the OP

still to be determined...not even halfway through his admin yet

but nice to see you posting CJ....hadnt see you around in a while

;)

WTF??? C'mon john. You used to be better than to buy into Trump propaganda. Half of those things are not unique to trump.

Why don't you address the points, refute them, prove them wrong or add something other than shaming someone for recognizing objective FACTS?

FACTS are not propaganda. See, this is the problem with the Left and why you'll get killed in the upcoming elections. Everyday Americans can feel what Trump is doing for our country and your party and candidates have nothing but a "Hate Trump" platform.

It's pathetic. The Left hates Trump more than the love America.

Why don't you address the points, refute them, prove them wrong or add something other than shaming someone for recognizing objective FACTS?

FACTS are not propaganda. See, this is the problem with the Left and why you'll get killed in the upcoming elections. Everyday Americans can feel what Trump is doing for our country and your party and candidates have nothing but a "Hate Trump" platform.

It's pathetic. The Left hates Trump more than the love America.

Repeated enough times, facts can for sure be propaganda and I already pointed out how these "successes," at least half IMO, or more are not unique to Trump in any way.

Now just think of what he could do if he didn't have a bunch of establishment opposition Congressmen working against him.

1. Obamacare gone, unleashing our health care industry and health insurance industry.

2. Construction of the wall in progress, reducing illegal immigration, drug traffic and increasing security against terrorists.

That's just two good things we COULD have if the Congressional Elites were not joined at the hip to rich multinational corporations and their globalist agenda.

So, because I believe, honestly, that President Trump is more accomplished that many of his predecessors in the short time he's been in office, I'm somehow a lesser person? You don't dispute my partial list and yet dismiss it. We'll see how the American people react in 2020 and beyond. I would have previously been shocked, but now not surprised at all, if the man is a successful two term President.

Nope, not even close, much of what you listed either was not something he did himself but the work of others, or did not have the impact you believe such as the pipelines and drilling.
I would also add that any balanced critic would include their failures, mistakes and downsides.

Last edited:
as far as the OP

still to be determined...not even halfway through his admin yet

but nice to see you posting CJ....hadnt see you around in a while

;)

Thank you sir - all the over the top Trump derangement and hatred on this site and in the news in general has been a little off putting for me so I've been around less and far less interested in politics. Take care and have fun.

Is Donald Trump the most successful/accomplished first term President in decades?

No, but he is an orange fool.

Thank you sir - all the over the top Trump derangement and hatred on this site and in the news in general has been a little off putting for me so I've been around less and far less interested in politics. Take care and have fun.

i try to stay out of those threads

Trump doesnt affect my life much....as i wont let him

another couple of years, and he will be gone...and another yet partisan President will take his place i am afraid

so i will work more on the local scenes...get done what i can....vote for the guys who i think can make a difference to my grand children

and enjoy the sunset years of my life as i near retirement....

getting too old to get all fired up over something i cant control anymore

:mrgreen: :peace

No, but he is an orange fool.

And to think, I'm pretty sure, you'd be one of the first people on this site who would be screaming bloody murder if anyone critiqued President Obama based on the colour of his skin.

So, because I believe, honestly, that President Trump is more accomplished that many of his predecessors in the short time he's been in office, I'm somehow a lesser person? You don't dispute my partial list and yet dismiss it. We'll see how the American people react in 2020 and beyond. I would have previously been shocked, but now not surprised at all, if the man is a successful two term President.

You may believe it, but I don't believe that list accurately portrays his Presidency or his "accomplishments." I'll give him the jobs numbers, and partial credit to NOKO. But that's about it. I feel any other Republican would have done the rest, even jobs. We'll see if the jobs really matter in the age of most scandalous President in history.

Obama had two and didn't need the Senate to break the filibuster rule to do it.

* promoted and passed legislation to reduce taxes
ARRA passed under Obama which cut taxes on all Americans.

* eliminated many job killing regulations enacted by the Obama administration
And Obama enacted many necessary regulations to protect Americans. Call it a wash.

that have seen US job growth and unemployment rates at their best levels this century
Which only continued the trend which first began under Obama's first term and built through his second.

Obama's first term saw Osama Bin Laden brought to justice for the murder of thousands of Americans. I'd say Obama wins this one.

Which has (at least in the case of Keystone) been shown to provide no real long-term boost to America, but does provide a threat. On the other hand, in Obama's first term, our country went from losing 700,000 jobs a month to gaining an average of 150,000 jobs a month, as part of a trend which saw America experience its longest consecutive streak of job gains.

perhaps most importantly, unlike all of his predecessors, has moved to bring about movement on the part of North Korea
All he did was enact sanctions which had already begun under the Obama administration. :shrug:

Also, the United States in Obama's first term worked with the UN to levy sanctions against North Korea as well.
to end its hostilities with South Korea and have a meeting of the heads of state of those two countries and the US to move towards the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula and bring North Korea into the 21st century and out of the group of rogue nations.
Except that has not happened yet, so you cannot claim it is something Trump has done. :shrug:

There are other accomplishments that could be listed
Your "accomplishments" are something Trump did less of than Obama (SC justices), things that all he had to do was sign his name, continue job growth which began under Obama and things which haven't happened yet.

I think you should list your other accomplishments. Because it seems pretty obvious that, using your list here, Obama had a more successful first term. Granted, Obama had four years of a first term and Trump is only in his second...but you're the one making the argument.

If he keeps up this pace, he may be looked upon as one of the greatest US Presidents of all time.
:lamo

No, he will actually need to accomplish something which doesn't rely on the past administration or an extra friendly Congress for that to happen. Also, he will need to be cleared of any wrongdoing in other matters related to the election, a condition which appears increasingly unlikely.

At the end of the day, from a Presidential action standpoint (ignoring the lies, hatefulness, possible criminality, etc.), Trump has been fairly run of the mill. Every President has some foreign policy thing they work towards and want to rest their hat on. Every two term President will deal with ups and downs in the economy. Every Presidents takes some kind of action with regards to regulations that they prefer. None of that has made Trump special, nor has he been overly lax in that way.

But the idea he's been the most successful first term President is just rather silly, as he's not even the most accomplished first term President in the 2010s (with noted caveat of only being in his second year an important factor).

Last edited:
You may believe it, but I don't believe that list accurately portrays his Presidency or his "accomplishments." I'll give him the jobs numbers, and partial credit to NOKO. But that's about it. I feel any other Republican would have done the rest, even jobs. We'll see if the jobs really matter in the age of most scandalous President in history.

Talk about believing propaganda - geeze - "most scandalous President in history" - really? - not even in my lifetime - two you might consider greats are easily as or more scandalous, those being Kennedy and Clinton. But hey, the MSM loves your devotion to the cause.

Trump is still a lying POS of ripped off disabled Veterans, and not once did he offer an apology. The man is what he shovels on a daily basis.

And to think, I'm pretty sure, you'd be one of the first people on this site who would be screaming bloody murder if anyone critiqued President Obama based on the colour of his skin.

****, people have been doing that for years. However, to clarify, I don't support discrimination against orange people. I'm just pointing out that he is, in fact, orange.

****, people have been doing that for years. However, to clarify, I don't support discrimination against orange people. I'm just pointing out that he is, in fact, orange.

Actually, you said he was an orange fool. You felt the need to qualify your derision of the man based on your view of the colour of his skin. I thought President Obama did many foolish things, and pointed them out, but never felt the need to qualify his foolishness by calling him a black fool. But to each their own. It is somewhat hypocritical though that many who frequently bleat about "racial" discrimination are the very ones who base judgements on the superficial.

Yeah, because ORANGE is now a race :roll: I notice you guys can't comment on his honesty (or lack of it) anymore, that's what is hilarious. You guys back a pathological liar, yet not so many years ago complained at Obama's lies all of which in 8 years was less than Trump's first year.

Talk about believing propaganda - geeze - "most scandalous President in history" - really? - not even in my lifetime - two you might consider greats are easily as or more scandalous, those being Kennedy and Clinton. But hey, the MSM loves your devotion to the cause.

Nope lots of stuff aren't even being reported. It's just stormy, stormy, stormy. Which is bad.

• I don't think a candidate should be intimidating pornstars for telling "fake stories". Do you?
  • All the great people he hired have since been fired
  • All the rest are yes men or crazy
  • He tweets like a troll
  • His business is all but a money laundromat.
  • His brand has zero value.
  • He pisses off our allies w/stupid things
  • He coddles up to dictators and calls them either great men or honorable.
  • All the people he has hired are crazy or just as corrupt as he is
  • His lawyers are leaving him or under investigation
  • He is under investigation by Congress, the FBI, and the DOJ.
  • He watches way too much TV and golfs too much to actually accomplish anything important
  • He flip flops on everything.
  • He is a bully and a troll.
  • He has attacked the FBI and the press for conducting fake investigations and fake news reports
  • He believes in insane conspiracy theories and promotes Fox News.
  • He is tone deaf and his personality unstable
  • He has dozens maybe hundreds of conflicts of interests
  • He has enriched himself from the Presidency.

And worse of all he has told over 3000+ lies and never corrects himself for spreading false information, despite it all being at his fingertips 24/7.

Last edited:
Actually, you said he was an orange fool. You felt the need to qualify your derision of the man based on your view of the colour of his skin. I thought President Obama did many foolish things, and pointed them out, but never felt the need to qualify his foolishness by calling him a black fool. But to each their own. It is somewhat hypocritical though that many who frequently bleat about "racial" discrimination are the very ones who base judgements on the superficial.

Yes, he is an orange fool. He proves that almost every time that he opens his mouth.

Obama wasn't the most effective president, and he didn't do a great job selling his policy priorities. However, he read books and could form a coherent sentence in English.

Do you have a basis for your claim? I certainly never claimed that orange skin delineated a race. But nice try.

You compared the actions against Trump with someone commenting about Obama's skin color. Obama's skin color is due to race, Trump's is due to excessive bad spray tanning so there is no valid comparison to be made between the two instances.

Back
Top Bottom