• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Donald Trump a decent man?

Is Donald Trump a decent man?

• Total voters
For the record, I never voted that Trump is a decent man.
My position is that a president does not need to be a decent man in order to lead the country.
Personally, I believe that Trump can behave like a real ***hole and not care about other people.

How can someone be an effective leader of people / government without a moral compass through which to filter tough decisions? Isn't such a person doomed by definition?

Here is a little something on that subject: Must the president be a moral leader?

Do you have any examples of great leaders that were not decent men?

Last edited:
I don't know anything about those topics and could not care less.

He believes in law & order. And that is my main concern.

Gads! Just think of BLM controlling the Justice Department starting in January.

A nightmare is coming true.

Trump does not believe in anything except Donald Trump. His "law and order" rhetoric is just his latest attempt to get campaign traction. There is actual no evidence that Trump actually believes in law and order. In fact, he has routinely acted as if he were above the law. Hard to believe in law and order if you don't follow it yourself. No, "law and order" as a "policy" when you refuse to subject yourself to law in order is right out of the authoritarian playbook. Trump love's running plays from the playbook: create fear and promise to attack the boogeyman that is the root of this largely made-up fear with force. He does it over and over, and it seems to work on his malleable sycophants.

Trudy Rubin: Trump follows autocrats' playbook | Columnists | journalstar.com
Trump’s Moves Are Right Out of the Authoritarian Playbook
Law and Order Politics: A Gateway to Authoritarianism – MIR
The Four Elements of the Autocrats’ Playbook | Verfassungsblog
So you want to be an autocrat? Here's the 10-point checklist

Thinking that BLM is some type of boogeyman to be feared just shows that it works on some people.

Last edited:
Problem is, YOU think they are slinging mud for no good reason. But it's not just far-right libtards who are speaking out... I'm talking about life-long Republicans who are truly ashamed of him.

You, Jay Patriot, are wearing orange-coloured glasses.

I will forever be tainted with the curse of not disliking Trump as much as you do.

How can someone be an effective leader of people / government without a moral compass through which to filter tough decisions? Isn't such a person doomed by definition?

Here is a little something on that subject: Must the president be a moral leader?

Andrew Jackson
Napoleon
Julius Caesar
Stalin

I had typed out a longer response to your post only to lose my connection. Oh well. In any case in the short version I just wanted to thank you for a good read (article cited). I saved it to my files.

I don't know anything about those topics and could not care less.

He believes in law & order. And that is my main concern.

Gads! Just think of BLM controlling the Justice Department starting in January.

A nightmare is coming true.

Sorry, thought you lived on this planet...

Andrew Jackson
Napoleon
Julius Caesar
Stalin

So you put Stalin on the list of great leaders, eh?

I'll think about the other ones. I'm not sure I would want any of them leading America, but I appreciate the list.

I will forever be tainted with the curse of not disliking Trump as much as you do.

It's not a curse. And stay positive -- you could always get psychological help! Tell me... how's your healthcare plan? You know, the one that Trump was supposed to unleash in: 2017, 2018, 2019, June 2020, July 2020, August 2020, now September 2020!!! I hope you're not waiting with baited breath!

You're my new "likes per month" hero! Keep on pummeling brother!

I know, right? "Look how many likes I get" as a debate strategy was cringe-worthy by 6th grade where I grew up. :lol:

Andrew Jackson
Napoleon
Julius Caesar
Stalin

So your list of indecent men that were great leaders is substantially comprised of autocrats (including Jackson) and dictators. The problem with a dictator is, that by definition (at least by American values), its an abusive relationship. Its almost like saying that a dad that whips his kids is a great dad. It just seems oxymoronic.

More importantly, it runs contrary to the inalienable rights so well articulated in the Declaration of Independence; for which vast quantities of American blood has been shed. I am troubled that you would even suggest these people were real leaders, let along good ones. I actually find it inconsistent with American values, therefore un-American.

So your list of indecent men that were great leaders is substantially comprised of autocrats (including Jackson) and dictators. The problem with a dictator is, that by definition (at least by American values), its an abusive relationship. Its almost like saying that a dad that whips his kids is a great dad. It just seems oxymoronic.

More importantly, it runs contrary to the inalienable rights so well articulated in the Declaration of Independence; for which vast quantities of American blood has been shed. I am troubled that you would even suggest these people were real leaders, let along good ones. I actually find it inconsistent with American values, therefore un-American.

Based on your article linked in post #277, a great leader can and must sometimes make decisions that would be considered unacceptable by a citizen but, in a statesman, those same decisions may be appropriate for the good of the nation. And there lies the rub of Trump.

He told the nation that the C-virus is no big deal when he knew that it is a big deal. Ostensibly, he defends himself with the argument that he hoped to avoid creating panick in the nation. We know this is not true. He sought not to calm the nation but to confuse the nation. In my lifetime, we have never had a POTUS rely so heavily on the politics of fear. He is happy to speak in the most hysterical of terms about the so-called immigrant threat, he rallies his fans with the most inflated and distorted characterizations of demonstrators and lies happily about the dangers of democratic policies , the health benefits of Hydroxycloroquine -to name just a few of his falsehoods. Wow, now he says Corey Booker is out to destroy the suburbs!? Dog whistle, anyone?

His indecency has no silver lining; no redeeming virtue.

Based on your article linked in post #277, a great leader can and must sometimes make decisions that would be considered unacceptable by a citizen but, in a statesman, those same decisions may be appropriate for the good of the nation. And there lies the rub of Trump.

He told the nation that the C-virus is no big deal when he knew that it is a big deal. Ostensibly, he defends himself with the argument that he hoped to avoid creating panick in the nation. We know this is not true. He sought not to calm the nation but to confuse the nation. In my lifetime, we have never had a POTUS rely so heavily on the politics of fear. He is happy to speak in the most hysterical of terms about the so-called immigrant threat, he rallies his fans with the most inflated and distorted characterizations of demonstrators and lies happily about the dangers of democratic policies , the health benefits of Hydroxycloroquine -to name just a few of his falsehoods. Wow, now he says Corey Booker is out to destroy the suburbs!? Dog whistle, anyone?

His indecency has no silver lining; no redeeming virtue.

Excellent post.

If you think that D.T. is a decent man, you may also think that the moon is made from green cheese.

My "NO!" just now was the "NO!" number 100. :)

My "NO!" just now was the "NO!" number 100. :)
That just means you’re late to the party. Try to make it on time next poll and maybe you can be #1.

The number of people voting in this poll is extremely suspicious.

Seems like a coordinated attempt at something.

Liberals are up to no good.

Back
Top Bottom