• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Democracy Always a Good Thing?

Democracy is only good when a country is at the top of it's games, so a foolish leader won't ruin everyting with some bad choices...

Look at Germany, the UAE, and other nations that developed quickly under dictatorship....

Hitler "Give me ten years, and you will not recognise Germany."

He did some radical things that made the country into a superpower... bartering goods, etc..

He's driving his country's economy off a cliff, assaulting reporters and vandalizing media, and destabilizing the entire continent.
how is he destablizing the whole region? just because he doesn't agree with the USA

Synch said:
Democracy is only good when a country is at the top of it's games, so a foolish leader won't ruin everyting with some bad choices...

Look at Germany, the UAE, and other nations that developed quickly under dictatorship....

Hitler "Give me ten years, and you will not recognise Germany."

He did some radical things that made the country into a superpower... bartering goods, etc..

And despite all the bad things that went on in the Soviet Union, they had unprecedented economic growth until the 1970s. Really quite remarkable for the time. Zero unemployment, free education at all levels, national health care, social security...

Kelzie is quite right, under Stalin the industrial growth was higher than any other nation, for quite a while, I don't think the increase has still been matched today. Also under Stalin, Russia was turned from feudalistic state undergoing capitalist transition, into one that was further advanced than the US in some areas, and in about 20 yrs. And that was through the purges, the Great Terror, and WWII. Also if I recall some things I've read, under Brezhnev, the ave. rent of an apartment for 6 months, with heating was $5, the ave. plane ticket from Kiev to Vladivostok was $15. And though the ave. Soviet citizen usually didn't have as much income as a US citizen, their needs were set to lower prices, much of it free, the US is vulnerable to market competition, no matter what commodity, the USSR set lower prices on needs, higher on luxuries.

Last edited:
Kelzie said:
So what do you guys think? Is democracy always a good thing?

that depends on whether or not the majority of the people are right.

Back
Top Bottom