• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is declining American patriotism a good thing?

Is declining American patriotism a good thing?

• Total voters

Ahlevah

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A new Gallup poll just came out with what I thought were some troubling conclusions:

Since the 2003 peak, all major subgroups have shown significant declines in the percentage saying they are extremely proud to be Americans. The largest decline has come among young adults, from 60% to 34%. In 2003 as well as today, young adults rank among the subgroups least willing to say they are extremely proud to be Americans.

Young adults today are also one of the few subgroups that are significantly less likely to be patriotic than in January 2001, before the 9/11 rally effect. At that time, 51% of 18- to 29-year-olds were extremely proud to be Americans. Because no one who is 18 to 29 today was in that same age group in 2001 or 2003, the trends in patriotism among young adults could be evidence that those in the millennial generation are less patriotic than young adults in generations that preceded them. And that generational change may help explain why there has been further decline in patriotism among all U.S. adults over the last three years.

New Low of 52% "Extremely Proud" to Be Americans

Let's get rid of the 4th of July then except for old conservatives. It will be just another work day for liberal Millennials. ;)

Last edited:
A new Gallup poll just came out with what I thought were some troubling conclusions:

Let's get rid of the 4th of July then except for old conservatives. It will be just another work day for liberal Millennials. ;)

Perhaps they see America's wars are about Big Money and resources, and definitely not about freedom Not our freedom nor freedom for those we invade. Perhaps they see the shift of wealth to the .01% and are discouraged by that. Perhaps 24% either unemployed or not looking for non-existant work discourages them. Perhaps militarized Police forces discourage them. Perhaps the Mass Media propaganda discourages them. Perhaps they are wising up faster than their seniors did. Circumstances, smoke and mirrors, and the Internet.

It can't help that some folk's instinct is to punish those they don't approve of.

I suppose it is a lot easier than actually doing something as a nation to earn pride and respect.

I think a lot of old conservatives confuse nationalism with patriotism...

I don't like when patriotism is mindless, as in when some people defend everything the country (read: government) does and says. The notion that questioning our government's actions is somehow unpatriotic is itself unpatriotic, IMO.

That being said, I do feel that we are losing our patriotic pride too much.

Blind, rampant, almost evangelical-like patriotism is rather dangerous.
Can be quite obnoxious and arrogant too.

In order to be proud of one's country, the country must be doing things that generate pride.

What has the USofA done in the last decade or so that's worthy of such pride?

Conversely, when a country does some rather crappy and embarrassing things, pride is eroded.

What has the USofA done in the last decade or so that's less than stellar, or even shameful?

There are certainly good things most countries do, and there are some bad things most countries do.
Which outweighs the other in terms of the USofA?

I think it's a good thing that citizens of the US have lofty expectations, and it's also a very good thing that they'll express their disappointment when it's warranted.

There's plenty of good reasons for plenty of people in the USofA right now to think "we" could be doing a lot "better" as a country.

How proud should we be of our current political situation?

Polls that include "extremely" are BS.

Isn't "work day for Liberal millennials" an oxymoron?

In order to be proud of one's country, the country must be doing things that generate pride.

What has the USofA done in the last decade or so that's worthy of such pride?

Conversely, when a country does some rather crappy and embarrassing things, pride is eroded.

What has the USofA done in the last decade or so that's less than stellar, or even shameful?

There are certainly good things most countries do, and there are some bad things most countries do.
Which outweighs the other in terms of the USofA?

I think it's a good thing that citizens of the US have lofty expectations, and it's also a very good thing that they'll express their disappointment when it's warranted.

There's plenty of good reasons for plenty of people in the USofA right now to think "we" could be doing a lot "better" as a country.

How proud should we be of our current political situation?

Making SSM legal in all states, protecting the rights of homosexuals, assuring abortions rights, allowing corrupt politicians to get away with criminal activity?? Oh wait, what was the question again?

I am a patriot. I am getting old also, but I am hardly a nationalist. I see the wrongs that US Government does overseas, and the wrongs it does to the average citizen.

With that said, America is still the place for me and I will ride it out all the way into the hand basket.

Making SSM legal in all states, protecting the rights of homosexuals, assuring abortions rights,

These things are worthy of generating pride. Freedom. Less government intrusion.

As for the corrupt politicians...that erodes pride for sure.

What's the difference, in your mind?

Honest question. I think many would have differing definitions of this comparison.

Well ultimately its a bit of a semantics argument. However, nationalism to me has an emphasis on national unity, particularly cultural unity. For example, a nationalist would love what they saw as American culture, American identity, what they see as American heritage, and often see a divine superiority in their nation and its culture. A patriot loves his country but more on the basis of its values and its land.

With our school system they only thing that keeps people under fifty from hating America is decent parents. I live in Mexico and sometimes people from the U.S. ask me if Mexicans hate America. My response is that the only two groups who seem to hate America are university students in Mexico and U.S. ex-patriates in Mexico. Honestly, most students visiting from the U.S. are so clueless they don't understand the question.

When the flag is raised or lowered on the Alameda there is usually a band playing the national anthem. Mexicans without exception stand and salute. Me? I stand and remove my hat. Some U.S. citizens complain about me standing for the Mexican National Anthem. A few have said, "We don't stand for our National Anthem."

"Right. It's patriotism and courtesy. Two things you don't understand."

It's a shame so few politicians are Americans.

I think a lot of old conservatives confuse nationalism with patriotism...

Those two terms are synonymous.Its that to globalist/internationalism degenerate scum the term nationalism/patriotism are bad things.

Nationalism | Define Nationalism at Dictionary.com
spirit or aspirations common to the whole of a nation.
devotion and loyalty to one's own country; patriotism.

excessive patriotism; chauvinism.
the desire for national advancement or political independence.
the policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one's own nation viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.
an idiom or trait peculiar to a nation.
a movement, as in the arts, based upon the folk idioms, history, aspirations, etc., of a nation.

Patriotism | Define Patriotism at Dictionary.com
devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty.

A lack of patriotism is a bad thing.

Proper patriotism should be critical and seek to right wrongs within our republic. It's not just all "Murica, **** Yeah!" Some people seem to make that mistake.

Mindless, unquestioning jingoism isn't patriotism.

Those two terms are synonymous.Its that to globalist/internationalism degenerate scum the term nationalism/patriotism are bad things.

Nationalism | Define Nationalism at Dictionary.com
spirit or aspirations common to the whole of a nation.
devotion and loyalty to one's own country; patriotism.

excessive patriotism; chauvinism.
the desire for national advancement or political independence.
the policy or doctrine of asserting the interests of one's own nation viewed as separate from the interests of other nations or the common interests of all nations.
an idiom or trait peculiar to a nation.
a movement, as in the arts, based upon the folk idioms, history, aspirations, etc., of a nation.

Patriotism | Define Patriotism at Dictionary.com
devoted love, support, and defense of one's country; national loyalty.

This seems exceedinly difficult for you. Clearly the poster was referring to the 3rd defiinition despite your attempts at obfuscation.

Word games won't cut it, sport.

A lack of patriotism is a bad thing.

Proper patriotism should be critical and seek to right wrongs within our republic. It's not just all "Murica, **** Yeah!" Some people seem to make that mistake.

Mindless, unquestioning jingoism isn't patriotism.

The screamers tend to send the pendulum way past the point of equilibrium.

You say this like 'extremely proud' is a good thing. I know that's the point of indoctrination but isn't it encouraging that it's not working?

Countries rise and fall.
Being a proud Roman is rather meaningless today.
I'm a proud Earthian. :2razz:

You say this like 'extremely proud' is a good thing. I know that's the point of indoctrination but isn't it encouraging that it's not working?

"Extremely proud" is nothing more than an affirmation of extreme love, and love in this case is a good thing.

Ground_Zero_Spirit.jpg

It depends on what you mean by patriotism. Mindless "rah rah" "America, f*ck yeah!" nonsense? Yes, it's best if that goes away. It needs to be replaced with a more realistic, pragmatic view of what America actually is, what our problems legitimately are, and how we can actually solve them without playing the "we're America, we're perfect" nonsense that I've seen from the ultra-patriotic.

Being not a nationalist does not make one "not a patriot".

You mean like Patrick Henry?

Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace²but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

https://www.history.org/almanack/life/politics/giveme.cfm

Back
Top Bottom