• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is declining American patriotism a good thing?

Is declining American patriotism a good thing?

• Total voters
Then move there, no one is twisting your arm. If there's nothing special about America to you, then go to a country that is special. Stop telling the rest of us that where we live isn't special.

Ahh I see. "Murica love it or leave it"! "There is no room for anyone that has a different opinion than I! This is Murica!"

Okay... And many other countries share similar atributes as well...

Don't know about you, but I swam. ;)

I'm talking about people who literally did nothing at all. They just got spit out on American soil and think they should be proud of that fact.

I used to be pretty patriotic. I was proud to be American. I was proud of our country.

I no longer am. I am ashamed of what this country is, and what it has become. I find most Americans to be ignorant, self centered assholes.

This is pretty obvious: they are proud because they remain true to themselves in the face of adversity; homophobia despite having declined substantially is still a thing.

What's obvious is you set one standard for national pride and then lower the bar for gay pride. Americans have largely stayed true to themselves as well in the face of and through adversity, including disease, a revolution, a civil war, two world wars, and assorted economic panics and depressions too numerous to mention.

Then move there, no one is twisting your arm. If there's nothing special about America to you, then go to a country that is special. Stop telling the rest of us that where we live isn't special.

“I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions.”
― George Carlin

I'm ashamed we elected the worst racist in my lifetime to the White House, twice, with Barack Obama but it certainly wasn't my fault.

Speaking of foolish positions ...

I used to be pretty patriotic. I was proud to be American. I was proud of our country.

I no longer am. I am ashamed of what this country is, and what it has become. I find most Americans to be ignorant, self centered assholes.

Would you like directions to the nearest airport?

I know where the airport is. Would you like to come remove me?

Why would I do that? Your opinion doesn't matter to me, and you seem to be the one who is so disappointed with America. You shouldn't need my help.

Yes, they ran into the towers because it's their job, but they raised that flag because they love America. Sorry you think acknowledging that is "brainless exploitation." Thanks for your participation. :2wave:

You realize there are people who pledge their lives to defend you and your freedoms, not because of the city or state you live in but because of the country you live in? I'm sorry you don't appear to appreciate that.

I never said I didn't appreciate it. I see we're inventing positions to argue against now.

I'm talking about people who literally did nothing at all. They just got spit out on American soil and think they should be proud of that fact.

Oh, I thought we were talking about people being proud of America?

Pride and shame in one's country != pride and shame in oneself.

There is no meaningful justification for pride in oneself for being a citizen of the United States unless achieving that citizenship featured some kind of material adversity.

What nonsense. Pride in your country has nothing to do with pride in yourself. I realize there are those who understand neither and would tend to think they were the same.

Oh, I thought we were talking about people being proud of America?

This thread is all over the place. I was talking about people who are proud to be an American, regardless of what America does (although I suppose we should be talking about the United States specifically since America refers to a lot more than just that). It's like people who are proud to be white. What the hell did they actually do to be white? What action did they take? Your skin color is an accident of your genetics, it is ridiculous to be proud of an accident of genetics.

Perspective.

I used to be pretty patriotic. I was proud to be American. I was proud of our country. I no longer am. I am ashamed of what this country is, and what it has become.

Pity. Did you think all of those stories about slavery and Indians being marched across the American South in the dead of winter were false or what? Unlike Jeff Daniels' Will McAvoy, I was never under the illusion that America had ever existed in some sort of blissful state of perfection, where it (presumably always) "stood up for what was right." I was fortunate in having professors who did a good job of pointing out the country's enegmatic "bad" qualities while also articulating its "good" qualities that positively tipped the scale, IMHO. Americans are only human, but what they created in improving the human condition is unique among human civilization and is to be admired, not scorned.

It's like people who are proud to be white. What the hell did they actually do to be white? What action did they take? Your skin color is an accident of your genetics, it is ridiculous to be proud of an accident of genetics.

You've got it wrong. White people aren't proud to be white. Many of them wallow in something called "white guilt." Black and gay people are the proud ones.

You've got it wrong. White people aren't proud to be white. Many of them wallow in something called "white guilt." Black and gay people are the proud ones.

Why would anyone be proud of an accident of genetics? That's stupid.

Back
Top Bottom