• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is declining American patriotism a good thing?

Is declining American patriotism a good thing?

• Total voters
Being not a nationalist does not make one "not a patriot".

America is more than a nation. It's an ideal, and one worth defending. When the day comes in which no one thinks it's worth defending, they will deserve whatever fate becomes them.

America is more than a nation. It's an ideal, and one worth defending. When the day comes in which no one thinks it's worth defending, they will deserve whatever fate becomes them.

America is a country with culture(s). Many countries have the same thing, that's not exceptional.

A new Gallup poll just came out with what I thought were some troubling conclusions:

Let's get rid of the 4th of July then except for old conservatives. It will be just another work day for liberal Millennials. ;)

Nothing terribly wrong with taking off the rose colored glasses.

It depends on what you mean by patriotism. Mindless "rah rah" "America, f*ck yeah!" nonsense? Yes, it's best if that goes away. It needs to be replaced with a more realistic, pragmatic view of what America actually is, what our problems legitimately are, and how we can actually solve them without playing the "we're America, we're perfect" nonsense that I've seen from the ultra-patriotic.

Introspection and self-examination is a probably a good thing, but an orgy of incessant self-flagellation is counterproductive. People who think that's good should move to Europe where they've turned it into an art.

Nothing terribly wrong with taking off the rose colored glasses.

Agreed, but the question is what do you see when you do? Where some see nothing but evil I see a lot of good. The world is certainly a better place with the U.S. than it would have been without it.

Agreed, but the question is what do you see when you do? Where some see nothing but evil I see a lot of good. The world is certainly a better place with the U.S. than it would have been without it.

No place I'd rather live, but blind patriotism... ugh.

Where some see nothing but evil

I know not one single person who thinks/believes such a thing. Not one.

I do know some a-holes who insist that many feel that way, but they are just ignorant and hateful idiots.

Perhaps they see America's wars are about Big Money and resources, and definitely not about freedom Not our freedom nor freedom for those we invade. Perhaps they see the shift of wealth to the .01% and are discouraged by that. Perhaps 24% either unemployed or not looking for non-existant work discourages them. Perhaps militarized Police forces discourage them. Perhaps the Mass Media propaganda discourages them. Perhaps they are wising up faster than their seniors did. Circumstances, smoke and mirrors, and the Internet.

Perhaps they are too dumb or uneducated to realize that their right to stomp on the flag was given to them by those who don't believe in stomping on the flag.

I love my country. I love it enough to fight for it. I love it enough to defend it. I love it enough to work to preserve it. Does that mean I dont see flaws in the PEOPLE in this country? Nope...I get it. We are a flawed people. But the Country still offers great opportunity. The Country offers great promise. The Constitution still defines the rights of citizens and the restrictions on government. We may have to remind government of that. Some dont see the promise. I get that but thats not because of the Country...its because of people and usually...people in their own genetic line. Some people dont appreciate it but usually those that dont are spoiled ****s that were handed everything and appreciate nothing.

Declining Patriotism is a horrible thing. At some point it may weaken us to the point that the freedoms and opportunity put in place 240 years ago become threatened.

The kind of Patriotism that defends the wars in Libya, Syria and Iraq is wrong. We have not been attacked by these Nations. We are killing beaucoup Muslims and acting like it is OK and a defense of our "Freedoms," don't ya' know? If these actions represent Nationalism or Patriotism then they are both bad. If they represent a grand delusion to conceal the control of resources by CORPORATISM that has no allegiance to Nation, only currency, then that issue needs to be addressed.

Perhaps they are too dumb or uneducated to realize that their right to stomp on the flag was given to them by those who don't believe in stomping on the flag.

That makes no sense. If the people who gave us the freedoms we have didn't believe in stomping on the flag they wouldn't have added all the freedoms to the constitution that they did. Or can you show me where the people who founded this country and who actually gave us the freedoms didn't believe in stomping on the flag?

Flag Burning and Free Speech - WSJ

Yet the best historical evidence suggests Messrs. Bork and Grassley are mistaken. The Framers fully understood "freedom of speech, or of the press" to include symbolic expression as well as verbal expression.

But on this issue history and logic point in the same direction: From the late 1700s on, American law has recognized symbolic expression and verbal expression as legally and constitutionally equivalent. "Speech" and "press" in the First Amendment don't just apply to words or printed materials. The First Amendment protects symbols, paintings, handwriting and, yes, flag burning.

That makes no sense. If the people who gave us the freedoms we have didn't believe in stomping on the flag they wouldn't have added all the freedoms to the constitution that they did. Or can you show me where the people who founded this country and who actually gave us the freedoms didn't believe in stomping on the flag?

Flag Burning and Free Speech - WSJ

You missed my point. I for one don't believe in stomping on the flag. I do however, believe in your right to do so even though I think doing so is a despicable act. I served my time protecting both our rights.

I'm the suspecting the founders had similar thoughts.

America is a country with culture(s). Many countries have the same thing, that's not exceptional.

It's not our just our culture that makes us exceptional. It's the whole package.

Polls that include "extremely" are BS.

Isn't "work day for Liberal millennials" an oxymoron?

only to regular morons

A new Gallup poll just came out with what I thought were some troubling conclusions:

Let's get rid of the 4th of July then except for old conservatives. It will be just another work day for liberal Millennials. ;)

i like the 4th of july but it was a regular worck day for me becase i had worck

Back
Top Bottom