• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Covid that serious of a danger?

Was the disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I'm afraid, Benjamin Franklin's often overused quote may be meaningful in this case: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I feel the country should've practiced "some" protective measures against spreading this disease, not this hodge-podge mess. But have we really purchased a significant amount of security to offset the misery and cost of the long term damage done by the shutdown, social distancing, and other measures?

"You know, putting a national lockdown, stay at home orders, is like house arrest. Other than slavery, which was a different kind of restraint, this is the greatest intrusion on civil liberties in American history," Bill Barr said.

Though this is uncomparable to slavery, in any fashion, it is becoming an incredible intrusion on our liberties. The big question is, was this disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions? Many think not and many do.

probably not. only a million people have died in a little over six months.

America did far too little far too late and that's why it's suffering so much worse than every other developed country. Too many brain dead Trump cultists pushing conspiracy theories about masks being fake and the virus a democratic hoax. We did this to ourselves.

probably not. only a million people have died in a little over six months.

You know others are going to counter with comments like, "each year, 1.35 million people are killed on roadways around the world, yet we don't stop driving."

You know others are going to counter with comments like, "each year, 1.35 million people are killed on roadways around the world, yet we don't stop driving."

38,000 people die in the USA per year from vehicle accidents.

200,000+ have died in 7 months from covid19.

I'm afraid, Benjamin Franklin's often overused quote may be meaningful in this case: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I feel the country should've practiced "some" protective measures against spreading this disease, not this hodge-podge mess. But have we really purchased a significant amount of security to offset the misery and cost of the long term damage done by the shutdown, social distancing, and other measures?

"You know, putting a national lockdown, stay at home orders, is like house arrest. Other than slavery, which was a different kind of restraint, this is the greatest intrusion on civil liberties in American history," Bill Barr said.

Though this is uncomparable to slavery, in any fashion, it is becoming an incredible intrusion on our liberties. The big question is, was this disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions? Many think not and many do.

Given that at the time we needed to flatten the curve and buy time for hospitals to get ready, then yet. You can't have freedom if you are dead and you have less freedom if you are permanently harmed.

And there's been an estimated 600,000 deaths from influenza since 2010.

Given that at the time we needed to flatten the curve and buy time for hospitals to get ready, then yet. You can't have freedom if you are dead and you have less freedom if you are permanently harmed.

I had secondary pneumonia from covid for over a month and I had it for 3 months in 2009 from the swine flu. A lot of people just aren't taking the covid that seriously because it's mostly deadly to a small percentage of the population.

I had secondary pneumonia from covid for over a month and I had it for 3 months in 2009 from the swine flu. A lot of people just aren't taking the covid that seriously because it's mostly deadly to a small percentage of the population.

That is because we are a very entitled culture.

So it all comes down to numbers. The less, no big deal.

IMO? No, it was a massive over-reaction.

What should have occurred was a valid threat assessment.

People were frightened by news of the rapid spread of CASES.

Then, thanks to a lack of understanding, several "leaders" made major mistakes based on false assumptions, as with those governors who ordered Covid-19 cases to be housed and treated in senior care/nursing home facilities.

That drastically increased the initial death tolls...and led to the subsequent fearmongering and the economic shutdown.

IMO we now have enough information both from here in the USA, and from elsewhere around the world to assess the real threat.

So far we know that those at highest risk are the very old (65 and older with increasing risk above 75) and anyone with 2 or more pre-existing serious co-morbidities.

Those at least risk, anyone under the age of 65 with no pre-existing co-morbidities.

We also know, from growing examples as in Sweden, that herd immunity IS a way to combat the spread of this disease.

By this we also know that the number of CASES don't mean that much. That's because most CASES resolve themselves with no ill effects, while producing antibodies which (via herd immunity) slow and may eventually stop the spread of this disease.

Last edited:

What is the death toll that requires action then? I don’t understand why we must show pragmatism with something we *know* will kill 100’s of 1000’s but for, say, rioting we must secure the homeland? Why is rioting more destructive to property, health, human life than covid?

I just don’t understand hte math on display anytime this subject comes up. I’ll bring up 911 again: why did it matter? Only a few thousand died. Benghazi: 4 assholes. **** them. Big deal.

Which lives mean something to us that we need to take action, and if 100’s of 1000’s isn’t it, why the **** should any parent ever again send a kid off to war for a ****hole nation that disregards its citizens as you would have us do?

So we've had 33% of that in a single year, or 5 times the annual rate, and this is supposed to be reassuring?

It means that we might be overreacting to a disease that's not as serious as the media hype concludes. Besides, we're close to a curative vaccine which should end the spread.

It means that we might be overreacting to a disease that's not as serious as the media hype concludes. Besides, we're close to a curative vaccine, which should end the spread.

5 times the death rate of the swine flu isn't serious? Okay.

It depends.

One has to do a threat assessment.

IMO we have enough information both from here in the USA, and from elsewhere around the world.

So far we know that those at highest risk are the very old (65 and older with increasing risk above 75) and anyone with 2 or more pre-existing serious co-morbidities.

Those at least risk, anyone under the age of 65 with no pre-existing co-morbidities.

We also know, from growing examples as in Sweden, that herd immunity IS a way to combat the spread of this disease.

By this we also know that CASES don't mean that much, because most CASES resolve themselves with no ill effects, while producing antibodies which (via herd immunity) slow and may eventually stop the spread of this disease.

What percentage of the public would be described as you are describing them? Under the age of 65..no pre-existing co-morbidities?

What is the death toll that requires action then? I don’t understand why we must show pragmatism with something we *know* will kill 100’s of 1000’s but for, say, rioting we must secure the homeland? Why is rioting more destructive to property, health, human life than covid?

I just don’t understand hte math on display anytime this subject comes up. I’ll bring up 911 again: why did it matter? Only a few thousand died. Benghazi: 4 assholes. **** them. Big deal.

Which lives mean something to us that we need to take action, and if 100’s of 1000’s isn’t it, why the **** should any parent ever again send a kid off to war for a ****hole nation that disregards its citizens as you would have us do?

The right would have you believe that COVID and the riots are a bunch of crapola, cooked up by the left-wing media, to make Trump look like he ruined the economy, created the protests, and caused the illness-related deaths. Any truth, who knows?

The reaction to 9/11 was total overkill unless they managed to release a bioweapon that killed millions.

The right would have you believe that COVID and the riots are a bunch of crapola, cooked up by the left-wing media, to make Trump look like he ruined the economy, created the protests, and caused the illness-related deaths. Any truth, who knows?

The reaction to 9/11 was total overkill unless they managed to release a bioweapon that killed millions.

How many millions? 1? 2?

5 times the death rate of the swine flu isn't serious? Okay.

Almost ten million people die from cancer every year. It is the cause of every sixth death. It is one of the largest health problems in the world. If we put the resources towards a cure for cancer that we have for covid, there might be no more cancer. Perspective.

Almost ten million people die from cancer every year. It is the cause of every sixth death. It is one of the largest health problems in the world. If we put the resources towards a cure for cancer that we have for covid, there might be no more cancer. Perspective.

So what you're saying is, excess deaths don't matter?

So 911 was a big nothingburger?

It means that we might be overreacting to a disease that's not as serious as the media hype concludes. Besides, we're close to a curative vaccine which should end the spread.

It also means we might be reacting to a disease in the wrong way.

I'll believe a curative vaccine when I see it and it has proven to be effective and not harmful. My fear is that a vaccine will be rushed into use without proving either.

This is ridonculous, quit your posturing and posing.

If the question panics you, then run. *You* added a quantified qualifier on loss of life. This is your concept.

So what you're saying is, excess deaths don't matter?

So 911 was a big nothingburger?

Why do men have nipples, when there's never any milk in our jugs? Are they nature's sympathy tits for women? And why do dogs like sitting on and peeing on cats? Why, why, why?

It also means we might be reacting to a disease in the wrong way.

I'll believe a curative vaccine when I see it and it has proven to be effective and not harmful. My fear is that a vaccine will be rushed into use without proving either.

I wonder why this is a concern. Huh.

Back
Top Bottom