• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Covid that serious of a danger?

Was the disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When the so-called experts are downplaying the necessity of wearing masks how can you blame someone not in the science community of believing them?

Your link explained exactly why it could seem conflicting and not be. The same reasoning for why at the beginning they said "don't wear masks" (to save those medical masks from idiots who would take those from those who truly needed them). However, we can and have made a large number of masks that are not as effective but still help to reduce the spread but also reserve the medical grade masks for those who truly need those. We also do not have the same testing levels as those in some other countries. We don't truly know who is healthy. Additionally, that was put out before we truly knew how many could be asymptomatic or even that it has the potential to be gotten again.

And when you involve politics into the mix.......
Of course, that's always a possibility. I generally don't fall for conspiracy theories. But I've watched good movies about them.

America did far too little far too late and that's why it's suffering so much worse than every other developed country. Too many brain dead Trump cultists pushing conspiracy theories about masks being fake and the virus a democratic hoax. We did this to ourselves.

We can show them the charts, compare the outcomes, prove their suppositions wrong with facts and data, we can illustrate that timely preventative actions would have made the current "slavery" unnecessary, we can even expose Trump's own words ON TAPE and STILL, the cultists refuse to believe.
This is the level of devotion one sees to a Warren Jeffs, a Jim Jones or a David Koresh.

This poll and Youtube video shows that republicans are less likely to believe the virus is serious....

And this poll show that very few from either side have confidence in Trump's vaccine...

"...Fewer than 1 in 10 (9%) Americans have a great deal of confidence in Trump to confirm vaccine effectiveness with another 18% reporting only a "good amount" of confidence in the poll conducted by Ipsos in partnership with ABC News using Ipsos' Knowledge Panel. In contrast, 69% don't have confidence in the president vouching for a vaccine, including 16% saying "not so much" and 53% saying "none at all." ..."​

I don't think Dems are too concerned about Trump's vaccine helping him win the election.

The seeds of doubt were planted by Trump when he called the virus a hoax.

I'm afraid, Benjamin Franklin's often overused quote may be meaningful in this case: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I feel the country should've practiced "some" protective measures against spreading this disease, not this hodge-podge mess. But have we really purchased a significant amount of security to offset the misery and cost of the long term damage done by the shutdown, social distancing, and other measures?

"You know, putting a national lockdown, stay at home orders, is like house arrest. Other than slavery, which was a different kind of restraint, this is the greatest intrusion on civil liberties in American history," Bill Barr said.

Though this is uncomparable to slavery, in any fashion, it is becoming an incredible intrusion on our liberties. The big question is, was this disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions? Many think not and many do.
This sentiment that is felt in America will and does bite us in the arse quite a bit. We are always afraid of having our liberties taken away. The fear is just not justified.

When I stay in any other countries the one thing I notice is the lack of fear on a daily basis. This really prevents America from coming together on issues and the lack of trust for each other is really apparent.

I'm afraid this virus is really going to affect us unlike other areas of the world because we just can't come together long enough to get rid of it, or even bring it to a manageable level. It's getting really depressing.

This poll and Youtube video shows that republicans are less likely to believe the virus is serious....

And this poll show that very few from either side have confidence in Trump's vaccine...

"...Fewer than 1 in 10 (9%) Americans have a great deal of confidence in Trump to confirm vaccine effectiveness with another 18% reporting only a "good amount" of confidence in the poll conducted by Ipsos in partnership with ABC News using Ipsos' Knowledge Panel. In contrast, 69% don't have confidence in the president vouching for a vaccine, including 16% saying "not so much" and 53% saying "none at all." ..."​

I don't think Dems are too concerned about Trump's vaccine helping him win the election.

The seeds of doubt were planted by Trump when he called the virus a hoax.

I don't see where your cited poll shows where Trump supporters believe Covid is a hoax. There's a difference between a major threat and simply a threat. The latter is not a dismissal.

I don't see where your cited poll shows where Trump supporters believe Covid is a hoax. There's a difference between a major threat and simply a threat. The latter is not a dismissal.

But a lot of them do believe it's a hoax as evidenced by the attendance at Trump indoor rallies and those not wearing a mask....and let's not forget the Karen's.

But a lot of them do believe it's a hoax as evidenced by the attendance at Trump indoor rallies and those not wearing a mask....and let's not forget the Karen's.
Perhaps they have little confidence in the mask protecting them. Or they don't think it's as big of a threat that many alarmist tend to think. But calling it a hoax as if it doesn't exist is not the same thing.

The end result was that Trump succeeded in convincing his base that the virus is nothing to worry about so your AP fact check, while technically accurate, belies the overall goal of Trump's rhetoric.
In the coming weeks after Trump's first "hoax" comments, he blitzed so far past the initial statements that it really doesn't matter what he said in the beginning.
Now, it has been revealed that Trump, in his OWN WORDS ON TAPE, has known ALL ALONG how serious this is, and he openly admits that he LIED to the American people all along.

So your AP Fact Check is worth about as much as an expired coupon for a cup of dishwater at Chuckie Cheese.
But of course, Trump lying outright means nothing to you, because you're a member of his cult.

The end result was that Trump succeeded in convincing his base that the virus is nothing to worry about so your AP fact check, while technically accurate, belies the overall goal of Trump's rhetoric.
In the coming weeks after Trump's first "hoax" comments, he blitzed so far past the initial statements that it really doesn't matter what he said in the beginning.
Now, it has been revealed that Trump, in his OWN WORDS ON TAPE, has known ALL ALONG how serious this is, and he openly admits that he LIED to the American people all along.

So your AP Fact Check is worth about as much as an expired coupon for a cup of dishwater at Chuckie Cheese.
But of course, Trump lying outright means nothing to you, because you're a member of his cult.
Checker, how do double down like this? He never called the virus a hoax.

Btw I need to check if I’ve paid my tithes to my cult lately. I may have forgotten.

Checker, how do double down like this? He never called the virus a hoax.

Btw I need to check if I’ve paid my tithes to my cult lately. I may have forgotten.

Lying on tape proves that he's willing to treat the pandemic as a hoax in front of the American people.
PERIOD.

This sentiment that is felt in America will and does bite us in the arse quite a bit. We are always afraid of having our liberties taken away. The fear is just not justified.

When I stay in any other countries the one thing I notice is the lack of fear on a daily basis. This really prevents America from coming together on issues and the lack of trust for each other is really apparent.

I'm afraid this virus is really going to affect us unlike other areas of the world because we just can't come together long enough to get rid of it, or even bring it to a manageable level. It's getting really depressing.

We will NEVER EVER EVER recover our economy or our freedoms until we deal with this pandemic more effectively.
Simple as that, end of story.

Well, I’m glad we got that question settled.

Hey, if you wish to die on that hill (AP Fact Check versus tape of Trump lying through his teeth) far be it from me to try and stop you.

Hey, if you wish to die on that hill (AP Fact Check versus tape of Trump lying through his teeth) far be it from me to try and stop you.
I plan on living for a bit longer. If for nothing but to irritate you. ;)

But the vast majority of Trump's supporters themselves don't believe the virus is serious...as evidence by the attendance at indoor Trump rallies, anti-mask protests and Karen's.

@grip
Why do you keep posting thread after thread after thread after thread after thread asking the same bullsh*t question over and over again? Why not just go GET infected and find out for yourself if you think it's no big deal?
I'll post what I damn well please. And I've already had covid.

Perhaps they have little confidence in the mask protecting them. Or they don't think it's as big of a threat that many alarmist tend to think. But calling it a hoax as if it doesn't exist is not the same thing.
Whether they call it a hoax or just don't believe the science their actions are the same.

But the vast majority of Trump's supporters themselves don't believe the virus is serious...as evidence by the attendance at indoor Trump rallies, anti-mask protests and Karen's.
Moot, do you understand the difference between saying it’s not serious and calling it a hoax?

I'm afraid, Benjamin Franklin's often overused quote may be meaningful in this case: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I feel the country should've practiced "some" protective measures against spreading this disease, not this hodge-podge mess. But have we really purchased a significant amount of security to offset the misery and cost of the long term damage done by the shutdown, social distancing, and other measures?

"You know, putting a national lockdown, stay at home orders, is like house arrest. Other than slavery, which was a different kind of restraint, this is the greatest intrusion on civil liberties in American history," Bill Barr said.

Though this is uncomparable to slavery, in any fashion, it is becoming an incredible intrusion on our liberties. The big question is, was this disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions? Many think not and many do.
Every other country in the world acknowledged that the coronavirus was deadly and highly transmissible. Shouldn't we all be asking ourselves why it is that only our country is still divided, after 200k of our own people are dead? Let's get real here. The only reason we're divided over the seriousness of Covid-19 is because we are being led by a president that is telling us 'it's a hoax' and 'it will all suddenly just go away'. Those are lies. If we could have put forth a unified effort to mitigate the infection rates and deaths six months ago, there still would have been many people that died unfortunately back in March and April, but we could have aborted the raging spread of this virus by all doing a concerted effort together to stop the spread and many deaths.

Moot, do you understand the difference between saying it’s not serious and calling it a hoax?
What difference does it make if their actions and outcome are the same?

Considering nearly 90% of the deaths in the US can be traced to people over 60 and over 50% over 80 I would have to say to the majority of US citizens and hardly any death to children under 20 .....no.

yeah, around a million dead humans in around 7 months. no biggie to people concerned with life.

yeah, around a million dead humans in around 7 months. no biggie to people concerned with life.
You arent concerned with life, you are concerned only with pursuing your hackish political ends. What Antiquity said was correct. This virus is a threat mainly to people over 65 and in ill health.

I'll post what I damn well please. And I've already had covid.

I'll believe you when you do as I did and post the test results.
And if you did survive it with no long term effects, count yourself lucky but I suspect with your mindset it won't be until you wind up burying someone you knew who died from it that you will take it seriously.
That is why we have emergency public health directives, because we cannot afford to wait while incorrigibles "make up their minds" that a pandemic is dangerous.

But if you're going to post thread after thread questioning it, you should have the corresponding balls to back up your claims.
Otherwise, you're just another Typhoid Mary.

Back
Top Bottom