• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Covid that serious of a danger?

Was the disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
America did far too little far too late and that's why it's suffering so much worse than every other developed country. Too many brain dead Trump cultists pushing conspiracy theories about masks being fake and the virus a democratic hoax. We did this to ourselves.
And when Trump acted early liberals called him a racist and xenophobic. Democrat politicians like a Pelosi, Schumer, Cuomo and that idiot mayor of NYC went out and told people there was nothing to be concerned about.

COVID has only killed a million people in < 7 months. No biggie.

PS: 2,852,901 Americans have died in all our wars and conflicts. All of them. All.

The science of masks (even makeshift ones) and social distancing in helping to reduce the spread has been around for at least a century.

Trump wasn't pushing masks or distancing. He wasn't even pushing for more masks to be made at the beginning, something he could have started early in January.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
When the so-called experts are downplaying the necessity of wearing masks how can you blame someone not in the science community of believing them?

Another possible risk in places where masks aren't universally available is the potential for health care workers to be unable to get them, leaving them unprotected while caring for sick patients. Earlier in the U.S. outbreak, when masks were scarcer, Surgeon General Jerome Adams told everyday Americans to stop buying masks for this very reason.

I'm afraid, Benjamin Franklin's often overused quote may be meaningful in this case: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I feel the country should've practiced "some" protective measures against spreading this disease, not this hodge-podge mess. But have we really purchased a significant amount of security to offset the misery and cost of the long term damage done by the shutdown, social distancing, and other measures?

"You know, putting a national lockdown, stay at home orders, is like house arrest. Other than slavery, which was a different kind of restraint, this is the greatest intrusion on civil liberties in American history," Bill Barr said.

Though this is uncomparable to slavery, in any fashion, it is becoming an incredible intrusion on our liberties. The big question is, was this disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions? Many think not and many do.

The problem now is overcoming groupthink. Most people have bought into the false narrative that this is a major problem - and so we go on wearing masks like lemmings running off the cliff. The time to stand up for our freedom and liberty has long since passed, yet when one does so today you are derided as a monster - a killer of the elderly and the infirm.

We have done this to ourselves by allowing the federal government to overstep their boundaries for decades - and now we watch local officials do the same. There are now generations of citizens who don't even blink an eye at a reduction in liberty. Why not save lives via government mandate, they ask; even though they cannot prove that my actions take even a single life. I have my freedom taken from me before I have committed any crime.

Franklin's words are hauntingly accurate yet we take no heed. Put on your mandatory seat belt when you leave your HOA run neighborhood as you drive by your Governor mandated closed theater on your way to your federal government regulated health care provider so that you can put on your Mayor mandated mask while the Health Board controlled doctor smacks your knee with a hammer so that your employer controlled health insurance company can tell that doctor how much he/she can charge for said smacking.

Liberty? Hell, we haven't had that around here for a century.

I'm afraid, Benjamin Franklin's often overused quote may be meaningful in this case: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I feel the country should've practiced "some" protective measures against spreading this disease, not this hodge-podge mess. But have we really purchased a significant amount of security to offset the misery and cost of the long term damage done by the shutdown, social distancing, and other measures?

"You know, putting a national lockdown, stay at home orders, is like house arrest. Other than slavery, which was a different kind of restraint, this is the greatest intrusion on civil liberties in American history," Bill Barr said.

Though this is uncomparable to slavery, in any fashion, it is becoming an incredible intrusion on our liberties. The big question is, was this disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions? Many think not and many do.

Well 200,000 people have died from it thus far, and we haven't hit the second wave yet. Not quite 3,000 died in 9/11 and we started an infinity war for that. About 30,000 die each year in car accidents and we have all sorts of laws, regulations, and policing revolving around that. So it seems rather significant, I mean it's 66,666 2/3 9/11's.

Well 200,000 people have died from it thus far, and we haven't hit the second wave yet. Not quite 3,000 died in 9/11 and we started an infinity war for that. About 30,000 die each year in car accidents and we have all sorts of laws, regulations, and policing revolving around that. So it seems rather significant, I mean it's 66,666 2/3 9/11's.
Driving a car is not a right. Never has been. The Constitution was written to protect our rights against the Government infringing upon them. Living in a society imposes upon us responsibilities. If society deems it necessary to restrict inalienable rights there are processes to do that. What leaders in the Government have been doing in a lot of cases has been to ignore your rights based solely on what they think is for your own good. There's a certain danger in that. If you don't see it then perhaps Franklin was right.

Driving a car is not a right. Never has been. The Constitution was written to protect our rights against the Government infringing upon them. Living in a society imposes upon us responsibilities. If society deems it necessary to restrict inalienable rights there are processes to do that. What leaders in the Government have been doing in a lot of cases has been to ignore your rights based solely on what they think is for your own good. There's a certain danger in that. If you don't see it then perhaps Franklin was right.

Yup, living in a society imposes responsibilities on us. Responsibilities like not spreading Covid all over the place during a pandemic that's already killed 200,000 Americans.

lol

A ton of republicans don't care if a ton of republicans die from COVID. Doesn't that say it all?

Yup, living in a society imposes responsibilities on us. Responsibilities like not spreading Covid all over the place during a pandemic that's already killed 200,000 Americans.

lol
Did I say it doesn't? Whenever, I'm out and about I'm very observant of my surroundings. Whenever I notice someone who isn't following the guidelines I avoid them. I don't yell and scream at them. If they're in a store where the store's policy is mandatory mask wearing it's reasonable to expect compliance. It's also the store's responsibility to enforce that policy. If not I can choose to shop elsewhere. It just recently happened to me where I turned around and walked out of the store because of their lack of following their own policy. You have no right to disregard the policies of businesses. Hospitals have mandatory masks requirements. If you want to visit them you are required to wear one (unless medically detrimental). You can demand your rights. You don't have any. That's society at work.

probably not. only a million people have died in a little over six months.

Considering nearly 90% of the deaths in the US can be traced to people over 60 and over 50% over 80 I would have to say to the majority of US citizens and hardly any death to children under 20 .....no.

You know others are going to counter with comments like, "each year, 1.35 million people are killed on roadways around the world, yet we don't stop driving."
And those people are ****ing idiots.....

Considering nearly 90% of the deaths in the US can be traced to people over 60 and over 50% over 80 I would have to say to the majority of US citizens and hardly any death to children under 20 .....no.
So older people don't have value to you.....

Why do men have nipples, when there's never any milk in our jugs? Are they nature's sympathy tits for women? And why do dogs like sitting on and peeing on cats? Why, why, why?
Do some research on our ancestors about this.......

It means that we might be overreacting to a disease that's not as serious as the media hype concludes. Besides, we're close to a curative vaccine which should end the spread.
If the virus isn't that serious then why the rush for a vaccine?

To get Trump elected?

Is it working?

Most of Trump's constituents don't believe the virus is serious or even exists....yet they pray for a vaccine?

Is it working?

Most of Trump's constituents don't believe the virus is serious or even exists....yet they pray for a vaccine?
Is there a poll showing this?

If a vaccine becomes available before the election the Democratic leadership are afraid it will improve Trump’s chances of being re-elected. That’s why they’re sowing seeds of doubt about its value.

If a vaccine becomes available before the election the Democratic leadership are afraid it will improve Trump’s chances of being re-elected. That’s why they’re sowing seeds of doubt about its value.
Common sense is sowing the seeds of doubt on a possible vaccine being released this fast.

Common sense is sowing the seeds of doubt on a possible vaccine being released this fast.
Well common sense is not a scientific field.

@grip
Why do you keep posting thread after thread after thread after thread after thread asking the same bullsh*t question over and over again? Why not just go GET infected and find out for yourself if you think it's no big deal?

Well common sense is not a scientific field.
No vaccine has ever been rushed out that fast. What are the long term affects of the vaccine, Does it work, and if so for how long. These are common sense questions that science will have to answer.

No vaccine has ever been rushed out that fast. What are the long term affects of the vaccine, Does it work, and if so for how long. These are common sense questions that science will have to answer.
You have every right to question whether the medical industry has rushed the vaccine. This is a world pandemic and as such rapid response may be necessary to get a handle on it. There are risks with any medication but physicians weigh the benefits against the risks and make their decision based on what’s best. I can’t imagine that those working on the vaccine are tossing precautions out the window. Even they have a lot riding on its effectiveness and have stated they would not release anything they didn’t deem effective and safe.

You have every right to question whether the medical industry has rushed the vaccine. This is a world pandemic and as such rapid response may be necessary to get a handle on it. There are risks with any medication but physicians weigh the benefits against the risks and make their decision based on what’s best. I can’t imagine that those working on the vaccine are tossing precautions out the window. Even they have a lot riding on its effectiveness and have stated they would not release anything they didn’t deem effective and safe.
And when you involve politics into the mix.......

A ton of republicans don't care if a ton of republicans die from COVID. Doesn't that say it all?
It's just the old ones, they seem to be fine with that.

This poll and Youtube video shows that republicans are less likely to believe the virus is serious....

And this poll show that very few from either side have confidence in Trump's vaccine...

"...Fewer than 1 in 10 (9%) Americans have a great deal of confidence in Trump to confirm vaccine effectiveness with another 18% reporting only a "good amount" of confidence in the poll conducted by Ipsos in partnership with ABC News using Ipsos' Knowledge Panel. In contrast, 69% don't have confidence in the president vouching for a vaccine, including 16% saying "not so much" and 53% saying "none at all." ..."
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/maj...rump-confirm-vaccine-safety/story?id=73121980

I don't think Dems are too concerned about Trump's vaccine helping him win the election.

The seeds of doubt were planted by Trump when he called the virus a hoax.

Back
Top Bottom