• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Covid that serious of a danger?

Was the disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why do men have nipples, when there's never any milk in our jugs? Are they nature's sympathy tits for women? And why do dogs like sitting on and peeing on cats? Why, why, why?

Okay, this got weird.

It also means we might be reacting to a disease in the wrong way.

I'll believe a curative vaccine when I see it and it has proven to be effective and not harmful. My fear is that a vaccine will be rushed into use without proving either.

I agree that we might not be reacting in the most sensible fashion.

Almost ten million people die from cancer every year. It is the cause of every sixth death. It is one of the largest health problems in the world. If we put the resources towards a cure for cancer that we have for covid, there might be no more cancer. Perspective.

This is a nihilist line of thought; that if you can't cure / mitigate all other causes of death before COVID, then COVID isn't a serious concern.

If you're going to be this nonchalant about vast swaths of preventable deaths, please list your age, race/ethnicity profession and income so we can determine where you're coming from. It's easy to dismiss piles and piles of dead when you're relatively safe. I suspect that if COVID targeted all posters named 'grip', you'd be more invested in a solution.

I'm afraid, Benjamin Franklin's often overused quote may be meaningful in this case: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I feel the country should've practiced "some" protective measures against spreading this disease, not this hodge-podge mess. But have we really purchased a significant amount of security to offset the misery and cost of the long term damage done by the shutdown, social distancing, and other measures?

"You know, putting a national lockdown, stay at home orders, is like house arrest. Other than slavery, which was a different kind of restraint, this is the greatest intrusion on civil liberties in American history," Bill Barr said.

Though this is uncomparable to slavery, in any fashion, it is becoming an incredible intrusion on our liberties. The big question is, was this disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions? Many think not and many do.

Bill Barr commenting on civil liberties is freaking hilarious.

This is a nihilist line of thought; that if you can't cure / mitigate all other causes of death before COVID, then COVID isn't a serious concern.

If you're going to be this nonchalant about vast swaths of preventable deaths, please list your age, race/ethnicity profession and income so we can determine where you're coming from. It's easy to dismiss piles and piles of dead when you're relatively safe. I suspect that if COVID targeted all posters named 'grip', you'd be more invested in a solution.

Nope. Just putting it into perspective. And I already had a case of covid.

Nope. Just putting it into perspective. And I already had a case of covid.

Again, please list your information so we know your relative risk involving the virus.

Also, GIGO refers to you putting in garbage and getting garbage in return.

Again, please list your information so we know your relative risk involving the virus.

Also, GIGO refers to you putting in garbage and getting garbage in return.

Read the OP.

I know what GIGO means. ;)

He is the Attorney General. Shouldn’t he?

You mean after he approved gassing peaceful protestors so anus tangerinus could pretend he's a christian? Yeah, it's flipping hilarious.

You mean after he approved gassing peaceful protestors so anus tangerinus could pretend he's a christian? Yeah, it's flipping hilarious.
Are those the same peaceful protesters that destroyed property, attacked police and looted businesses?

I'm afraid, Benjamin Franklin's often overused quote may be meaningful in this case: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I feel the country should've practiced "some" protective measures against spreading this disease, not this hodge-podge mess. But have we really purchased a significant amount of security to offset the misery and cost of the long term damage done by the shutdown, social distancing, and other measures?

"You know, putting a national lockdown, stay at home orders, is like house arrest. Other than slavery, which was a different kind of restraint, this is the greatest intrusion on civil liberties in American history," Bill Barr said.

Though this is uncomparable to slavery, in any fashion, it is becoming an incredible intrusion on our liberties. The big question is, was this disease deadly enough to warrant the reactions? Many think not and many do.

It depends on how enlightened and educated you are I suppose.

Restaurants.jpg

It means that we might be overreacting to a disease that's not as serious as the media hype concludes. Besides, we're close to a curative vaccine which should end the spread.

So it is "overreacting" to save as many lives as possible? Why do we even have hospitals and doctors then? Not as serious? We have the most deaths in the world from the virus. Is that a record that we should be proud of? You are also wrong about the vaccine, it will take at least another year to reach any normalcy even with a best case vaccine.

America did far too little far too late and that's why it's suffering so much worse than every other developed country. Too many brain dead Trump cultists pushing conspiracy theories about masks being fake and the virus a democratic hoax. We did this to ourselves.

‘Alarming rates’ of coronavirus transmission in Europe should serve as ‘wake-up call,’ WHO official warns

‘Alarming rates’ of coronavirus transmission in Europe should serve as ‘wake-up call,’ WHO official warns | Fox News

So it is "overreacting" to save as many lives as possible? Why do we even have hospitals and doctors then? Not as serious? We have the most deaths in the world from the virus. Is that a record that we should be proud of? You are also wrong about the vaccine, it will take at least another year to reach any normalcy even with a best case vaccine.
Experts fear suicide, deaths of despair will rise in wake of COVID-19: Mental health crisis | The Nation's Health

Are these deaths acceptable? Are they just collateral damage we should accept in our attempts to save everyone else? These are questions that should be considered when implementing any actions.

When given medication you’re warned of the risks. Sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks. In the case of those prone to mental illness are the risks acceptable in order to keep them alive?

Other. Old folks and those with impaired immune systems should've been in lockdown but not everyone.

What is really sad is seeing 'Covid prevention' being turned into a political football.

You didn't invalidate anything I said. The US has done far worse than the EU in every metric. Europe has been fully back to work for MONTHS.

So has much of the US.

"This pandemic has taken so much from us. In Europe 4,893,614 cases of COVID-19 have been recorded and 226,524 deaths. This tells only part of the story – the impact of our mental health, economies, livelihoods, and society has been monumental,” he said when calling for a unified effort from “all European Member States” to control the virus.

Seems the numbers are rather similar to ours.

probably not. only a million people have died in a little over six months.

Other. I say the lockdown of specific individuals would've saved the lives of more people than social distancing. Social distancing doesn't save lives as much as it saves hospital resources and the models used to predict hospital resources were at great risk from this pandemic were flawed because Covid data from the first one to two months of the pandemic was incorrectly extrapolated.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom