• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Conservative anti elitism a lie?

Yes_Minister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Is Conservative anti-elitism a lie? Conservatives claim to be anti-elitist, yet they currently idolized a billionaire with golden toilets, back in the 2000s they idolized the scion of one of the most connected political families around, George W. Bush, they are fine with billionaires like Charles Koch having influence in the GOP, the conservative media pundits are all millionaires and conservatives constantly belittle the poor.

Why Conservatives Blame Poverty on the Poor | The New Republic

Steve Bannon claimed to be an anti-elitist, yet he had a giant yacht and scammed his conservative supporters out of their money:

The 152-Foot-Long Yacht Steve Bannon Was Arrested On Is For Sale For $28 Million

If Bannon is such an anti-elitist, why does he have that giant yacht and why is he scamming his supporters?

Also, Tucker Carlson claims to be an anti-elitist, but he is an heir to the Swanson fortune:

Why Tucker Carlson pretends to hate elites - YouTube

So are conservative elites fine with conservatives?

Also can conservatives stick to the topic or will they try to pivot to something away from this topic?

Last edited:
The way you've put forth your opinion virtually guarantees responses you pretend that you don't want.

The way you've put forth your opinion virtually guarantees responses you pretend that you don't want.

What in the OP can you refute, or are you just stating an unsupported opinion?

Yes. Funny enough it's the elites of the republican party telling their base how they are for them and then giving the super wealthy and corporate america a nice big juicy tax cut. Not so much for the guy making twenty five grand a year.

Opinion? Is that what you call it? Is that how you guys convince yourselves it's not true? What in particular is not true?

Is Conservative anti-elitism a lie? Conservatives claim to be anti-elitist, yet they currently idolized a billionaire with golden toilets, back in the 2000s they idolized the scion of one of the most connected political families around, George W. Bush, they are fine with billionaires like Charles Koch having influence in the GOP, the conservative media pundits are all millionaires and conservatives constantly belittle the poor.

Steve Bannon claimed to be an anti-elitist, yet he had a giant yacht and scammed his conservative supporters out of their money:

The 152-Foot-Long Yacht Steve Bannon Was Arrested On Is For Sale For $28 Million

If Bannon is such an anti-elitist, why does he have that giant yacht and why is he scamming his supporters?

Also, Tucker Carlson claims to be an anti-elitist, but he is an heir to the Swanson fortune:

Also can conservatives stick to the topic or will they try to pivot to something away from this topic?

Everything conservatives say today is a lie.

What in the OP can you refute, or are you just stating an unsupported opinion?

Give me a break. Here are some "unsupported opinions":

Conservatives claim to be anti-elitist, yet they currently idolized [sic] a billionaire with golden toilets...

Conservatives constantly belittle the poor....

:roll:

Opinion? Is that what you call it? Is that how you guys convince yourselves it's not true? What in particular is not true?

I am not "you guys." Are you unable to see others as the individuals they are? Can you do no other than conveniently lump others under labels?

Give me a break. Here are some "unsupported opinions":

Conservatives claim to be anti-elitist, yet they currently idolized [sic] a billionaire with golden toilets...

Conservatives constantly belittle the poor....

:roll:

Did you see the New Republic article I posted backing up the idea that conservatives belittle the poor?

I may be using rhetoric to make my point, but it still stands. Is Trump an elite or not? Seems like a fair question to ask.

What about Tucker Carlson and Steve Bannon are they elites or not?

Did you see the New Republic article I posted backing up the idea that conservatives belittle the poor?

I may be using rhetoric to make my point, but it still stands. Is Trump an elite or not? Seems like a fair question to ask.

What about Tucker Carlson and Steve Bannon are they elites or not?

Does being an heir or the owner of a big boat make one an "elite"?

Does being an heir or the owner of a big boat make one an "elite"?

You are answering my question with a question.

Let's define our terms, how are we defining elite here? Millionaire media pundit Sean Hamnity once called Obama an elitist for using a certain type of mustard on his burger.

So why is Obama's mustard elitist, but Bannon's yacht or Carlson's trust fund is not? Heck how is some millionaire pundit like Hannity not an elitist?

This talk of conservative anti elitism comes off as a smokescreen to me:

Grievance-Mongering and “Anti-Elitism” on the American Right – Areo

Elite - are a small group of powerful people who hold a disproportionate amount of wealth, privilege, political power, or skill in a society.

There are elite on both sides and both sides suffer under it in America. The Democratic Elite are the ones used as rhetoric, and yes, a lot of Trumpers have bought it hook, line and sinker. It means nothing in reality and is ironic but it really just means F-U. lol It's just a meme that is now a cut down. Of course there is no truth in it.

I believe the lefts was deplorables at the time.

It's all just become a rotton game and our government is as corrupt as ever. I'm beginning to think America just likes it that way. Getting rid of it was just a meme as well. If we all really wanted to end it neither Trump nor Biden would be our picks come November.

You are answering my question with a question.

Let's define our terms, how are we defining elite here? Millionaire media pundit Sean Hamnity once called Obama an elitist for using a certain type of mustard on his burger.

So why is Obama's mustard elitist, but Bannon's yacht or Carlson's trust fund is not? Heck how is some millionaire pundit like Hannity not an elitist?

This talk of conservative anti elitism comes off as a smokescreen to me:

Grievance-Mongering and “Anti-Elitism” on the American Right – Areo

Oh, I see. If Hannity calls mustard "elitist," it must be so. :roll:

Oh, I see. If Hannity calls mustard "elitist," it must be so. :roll:

Okay, then how are we defining elites in this context?

Because it seems to me conservatives define elite in a very hypocritical way. Obama putting mustard on his burger makes him snob, but Carlson being a Swanson trust fund baby or Steve Bannon buying a massive yacht is okay with them, because as usual conservatives want to apply rules and standards to others, that they will not apply to themselves.

You talked about conservative responses to my topic, so far they have been silent, I assume because they know their double standard on this issue cannot survive any sort of acid test.

Just as a data point: According to openSecrets.org 58% of Biden Donors are from big donors; 57% of Trump's donations are from small (<$200) donors. IOW Biden is the elist.

By the way conservative respect successful people and work on ways to provide opportunities for others to be successful. And we generally pay more than our "fair share" of taxes.

Yes. Funny enough it's the elites of the republican party telling their base how they are for them and then giving the super wealthy and corporate america a nice big juicy tax cut. Not so much for the guy making twenty five grand a year.
The funnier part is that is a total lie. 90% of TAXPAYERS got tax cuts. Of course if you pay massive amounts you cut will be bigger even if the cut is the same percentage.

One of the greatest political successes of the late 20th and 21st centuries has been the Republican Party's ability to convince the under-educated that it is the party for low-income blue collar workers and the middle class and will champion them at the expense of the wealthy elite, when it is, in reality, exactly the opposite.

This may be why fear mongering and fake news comes so easily to the Republican Party as of late. If your whole platform requires lying to the gullible in order to get the votes you need to be relevant in the first place, why not double down? If the gullible happen to like a womanizing, pro-wrestling, foul-mouthed, entitled, tweeting, idiot, why not advance him as your presidential candidate? So long as their votes enable them to continue to line the pockets of the wealthiest Americans and their lobbyists while driving down wages for everyone else, who cares? Ignorant votes, racist votes, and even votes influenced by foreign interference meant to destabilize the country, the Republican Party will take them.

It is party over country in the red states these days.

The funnier part is that is a total lie. 90% of TAXPAYERS got tax cuts. Of course if you pay massive amounts you cut will be bigger even if the cut is the same percentage.

LOL That's quite an understatement considering that 2/3rds of the tax cut went to the 1%

P2F5-3.png

LOL That's quite an understatement considering that 2/3rds of the tax cut went to the 1%

P2F5-3.png
Because they pay over 80% of total tax.

What part of
Of course if you pay massive amounts you cut will be bigger even if the cut is the same percentage
is difficult for you to grasp?

You guys keep trying to peddle this lie.

Just as a data point: According to openSecrets.org 58% of Biden Donors are from big donors; 57% of Trump's donations are from small (<$200) donors. IOW Biden is the elist.

By the way conservative respect successful people and work on ways to provide opportunities for others to be successful. And we generally pay more than our "fair share" of taxes.

So do big money men like Charles Koch or the Mercer family don't count? What makes Sorors an elite, but the Kochs and the Mercers okay? What about Sheldon Alderson, is he okay too?

Political activities of the Koch brothers - Wikipedia

Mercers vs. Kochs vs. Adelsons: The three ultra-rich families battling for control of the Republican party — Quartz

Heck, how much big money did Bernie Sanders or AOC take? Are trust fund babies like Trump and Tucker Carlson, not elites? Why not? Was Fox News claim that Obama was an elite for mustard on his burger fair? Is Steve Bannon an elite for scamming his supporters and buying a giant yacht?

I think conservatives are very hypocritical in how they apply the term elite, as usual, it comes to down to standards they want to apply to others but never apply to themselves.

Last edited:
Okay, then how are we defining elites in this context?

Because it seems to me conservatives define elite in a very hypocritical way. Obama putting mustard on his burger makes him snob, but Carlson being a Swanson trust fund baby or Steve Bannon buying a massive yacht is okay with them, because as usual conservatives want to apply rules and standards to others, that they will not apply to themselves.

You talked about conservative responses to my topic, so far they have been silent, I assume because they know their double standard on this issue cannot survive any sort of acid test.

I doubt that. You've already stated a bias that makes discussion a waste of time. Reread your second sentence.

So big money men like Charles Koch or the Mercer family don't count? What makes Sorors an elite, but the Kochs and the Mercers okay? What about Sheldon Alderson, is he okay too?
They are counting in the numbers I gave. Koch by the way is a neverTrumper.
Yes_minster said:
Political activities of the Koch brothers - Wikipedia

Mercers vs. Kochs vs. Adelsons: The three ultra-rich families battling for control of the Republican party — Quartz

Heck, how much big money did Bernie Sanders or AOC take? Are trust fund babies like Trump and Tucker Carlson, not elites? Why not? Was Fox News claim that Obama was an elite for mustard on his burger fair? Is Steve Bannon an elite for scamming his supporters and buying a giant yacht?
AOC isn't running, nor is Bernie.
Yes_minister said:
I think conservatives are very hypocritical in how they apply the term elite, as usual, it comes to down to standards they want to apply to others but never apply to themselves.
I think you're blithering.

Blither thee not.jpg

I doubt that. You've already stated a bias that makes discussion a waste of time. Reread your second sentence.

Oh, so how is Soros an elite, but Charles Koch or the Mercer family are not? I think its a fair question to ask whether conservatives use the term elite in a fair way or a partisan way.

Back
Top Bottom