• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Conservative anti elitism a lie?

They are counting in the numbers I gave. Koch by the way is a neverTrumper.

That is sidestepping my question. Is Charles Koch, the Mercer family, and Sheldon Adelson elites or not? Tucker Carlson and Trump were born with silver spoons in their mouths, are they elites? What about Bannon and his giant boat, is he an elite?

AOC isn't running, nor is Bernie.

Biden is a corporate neo-liberal, I am not going to defend him that much. That doesn't change the fact that I think conservative anti-elitism is a lie.

I think you're blithering.

View attachment 67295100

More sidestepping. Are any conservatives elites in your opinion or do you only apply that label in a partisan manner?

Last edited:
That is sidestepping my question. Is Charles Koch, the Mercer family, and Sheldon Adelson elites or not? Tucker Carlson and Trump were born with silver spoons in their mouths, are they elites? What about Bannon and his giant boat, is he an elite?
I really don't care whether you hang an "elite" label on any of them. What's the point.

Yes_Minister said:
Biden is a corporate neo-liberal, I am not going to defend him that much. That doesn't change the fact that I think conservative anti-elitism is a lie.
You're entitled to you opinion.

Yes_Minister said:
More sidestepping. Are any conservatives elites in your opinion or do you only apply that label in a partisan manner?
Frankly I don't get wrapped up in meaningless labels.

I really don't care whether you hang an "elite" label on any of them. What's the point.

My point is that most conservatives use that term in a very biased way, as a club against their opponents, rather than in any sort of academic sense, and their claims of elitism do not come from a place of good faith.

You're entitled to you opinion.

Frankly I don't get wrapped up in meaningless labels.

So do you think conservatives stop using that label or not? And if they should continue to use that label, should they apply it to other conservatives or do they apply in a hypocritical manner?

Is Conservative anti-elitism a lie? Conservatives claim to be anti-elitist, yet they currently idolized a billionaire with golden toilets, back in the 2000s they idolized the scion of one of the most connected political families around, George W. Bush, they are fine with billionaires like Charles Koch having influence in the GOP, the conservative media pundits are all millionaires and conservatives constantly belittle the poor.

Why Conservatives Blame Poverty on the Poor | The New Republic

Steve Bannon claimed to be an anti-elitist, yet he had a giant yacht and scammed his conservative supporters out of their money:

The 152-Foot-Long Yacht Steve Bannon Was Arrested On Is For Sale For $28 Million

If Bannon is such an anti-elitist, why does he have that giant yacht and why is he scamming his supporters?

Also, Tucker Carlson claims to be an anti-elitist, but he is an heir to the Swanson fortune:

Why Tucker Carlson pretends to hate elites - YouTube

So are conservative elites fine with conservatives?

Also can conservatives stick to the topic or will they try to pivot to something away from this topic?

Of course its a lie. The question should be is any conservative narrative not a lie? I cant think of anything they supposedly stand for that isnt a lie. The only consistent thing they do is cut rich people's taxes but they even lie about that. The last tax cut was called the Tax Cut and Jobs Act.

Because they pay over 80% of total tax.

What part of is difficult for you to grasp?

You guys keep trying to peddle this lie.

So obviously if half of Americans don't make enough money to pay taxes.they need a raise

It wasn't that way before Reagan and trickle down

ineq-landing_landing.jpg

Give me a break. Here are some "unsupported opinions":
Conservatives claim to be anti-elitist, yet they currently idolized [sic] a billionaire with golden toilets...
Conservatives constantly belittle the poor....
:roll:

sorry Nota but "yea right" with an eyeroll emoji isnt really a good rebuttal. the thread just lists yet another example of conservative hypocrisy (and there are lots of examples). Forget bragging about stiffing contractors, calling servicemen who made the ultimate sacrifice "losers and suckers" is as elitist as it gets (see how I used an actual examples).

I think you are misunderstanding the perceived elitism that many conservatives oppose (hate, actually). It begins with academia, focuses on matters like racial sensitivity and reinterpretations of gender, views religion (or at least christianity) as a fairy tale, supports legal abortion and environmentalism, and treats ordinary white citizens as privileged oppressors. The media and coastal residents are viewed as sharing this worldview. Forgive me if I have misunderstood or mis-stated conservative positions, but that's my best understanding of it.

I.e., it is a perceived cultural elitism, not primarily economic (although there are perceived overlaps). It is a reaction to people who think ordinary citizens in rural areas need to be "educated" and have their values corrected by their moral superiors on the coasts.

The funnier part is that is a total lie. 90% of TAXPAYERS got tax cuts. Of course if you pay massive amounts you cut will be bigger even if the cut is the same percentage.

It must be nice to believe what you wish and discard the rest?

I.e., it is a perceived cultural elitism, not primarily economic (although there are perceived overlaps). It is a reaction to people who think ordinary citizens in rural areas need to be "educated" and have their values corrected by their moral superiors on the coasts.

Except Fox News will jump down Obama's throat for putting mustard on a burger, but will think Trump's golden toilets or Tucker Carlson's trust fund is okay.

If conservatives are using elite to mean left wing, then they are misusing that word for partisan purposes and their use of it should be ignored, because it is purely partisan.

How is it not elitist to side with some rich oil company over a Native tribe? Also a lot of conservatives seem to think their particular religious beliefs make them superior to others, how is that not cultural elitism?

I know you are just trying to define conservative anti-elitism, but it does come off as a huge double standard when you lay it out.

Last edited:
I know you are just trying to define conservative anti-elitism, but it does come off as a huge double standard when you lay it out.

Everything in politics is a double standard IMHO. But each side should at least understand the hate (err, principles) that animates the other side, also IMHO.

So obviously if half of Americans don't make enough money to pay taxes.they need a raise

It wasn't that way before Reagan and trickle down

View attachment 67295126

Everything in politics is a double standard IMHO. But each side should at least understand the hate (err, principles) that animates the other side, also IMHO.

I can understand something while still not agreeing with it. Leftists oppose the wealthy far more than conservatives, someone like Bernie Sanders will advance the working man far more than Trump, Bannon or Tucker Carlson will.

It must be nice to believe what you wish and discard the rest?
LOL, yeah, I believe in mathematics, and logic. Also data. If I paid $100,000 in taxes before the cuts and you paid $1000 and we both got Trump's 3% rate reduction I'd save $2000 and you'd save $20. That's how percentages work. We got cuts proportional to our original tax - I prided a little over 99% of the taxes and got a little over 99% of the reduction.

I haven't heard a serious economist use "trickle down" in decades.
They don't say it, its more abstract, libertarians say "lower taxes"....just as racists don't say "nigger", they say "states rights"*.

* see Lee Atwater.

LOL, yeah, I believe in mathematics, and logic. Also data. If I paid $100,000 in taxes before the cuts and you paid $1000 and we both got Trump's 3% rate reduction I'd save $2000 and you'd save $20.
Wrong.

LOL, yeah, I believe in mathematics, and logic. Also data. If I paid $100,000 in taxes before the cuts and you paid $1000 and we both got Trump's 3% rate reduction I'd save $2000 and you'd save $20. That's how percentages work. We got cuts proportional to our original tax - I prided a little over 99% of the taxes and got a little over 99% of the reduction.

And you think that's a fair deal?

And you think that's a fair deal?
Absolutely - each gets tax relieve in proportion to the amount the pay. That's totally fair. What you're talking about, however is the nebulous progressive version of "fair". Let's turn this around. Suppose you and I make an investment together - you put in $100,000 and I put in $1000. After a year it's worth $201,000, a nice little of $100,000. Should we split the profit or should you get a large share?

Absolutely - each gets tax relieve in proportion to the amount the pay. That's totally fair. What you're talking about, however is the nebulous progressive version of "fair". Let's turn this around. Suppose you and I make an investment together - you put in $100,000 and I put in $1000. After a year it's worth $201,000, a nice little of $100,000. Should we split the profit or should you get a large share?

what you're ignoring is the fact that three percent is a world of difference between someone paying a hundred grand in taxes and someone paying a thousand. Any millionaire can withstand this economy much better than someone making thirty grand a year. Your investment comparison is just stupid.

what you're ignoring is the fact that three percent is a world of difference between someone paying a hundred grand in taxes and someone paying a thousand. Any millionaire can withstand this economy much better than someone making thirty grand a year. Your investment comparison is just stupid.
Not ignoring it at all. Just stating facts. I'm not surprised you didn't like my investment scenario; too close to facts rather than prog moo moo poo poo.

Give me a break. Here are some "unsupported opinions":

Conservatives claim to be anti-elitist, yet they currently idolized [sic] a billionaire with golden toilets...

Conservatives constantly belittle the poor....

:roll:

Saying that conservatives have historically claimed to be anti-elitist and have idolized Trump is unsupported is as much as saying that claiming the sun is hot is not supported, either.

Cons belittle the poor by saying they want something for nothing and are jealous of those with more. You haven’t heard?

Is Conservative anti-elitism a lie? Conservatives claim to be anti-elitist, yet they currently idolized a billionaire with golden toilets, back in the 2000s they idolized the scion of one of the most connected political families around, George W. Bush, they are fine with billionaires like Charles Koch having influence in the GOP, the conservative media pundits are all millionaires and conservatives constantly belittle the poor.

Steve Bannon claimed to be an anti-elitist, yet he had a giant yacht and scammed his conservative supporters out of their money:

The 152-Foot-Long Yacht Steve Bannon Was Arrested On Is For Sale For $28 Million

If Bannon is such an anti-elitist, why does he have that giant yacht and why is he scamming his supporters?

Also, Tucker Carlson claims to be an anti-elitist, but he is an heir to the Swanson fortune:

Also can conservatives stick to the topic or will they try to pivot to something away from this topic?

It's not money, it's education they resent.

The TRump GED crowd hates the college educated. Jealousy is a primal human emotion.

The inbreeds think that one day they will make it big and they want to be greedy when they do is all.

The TRump GED crowd hates the college educated. Jealousy is a primal human emotion.

The inbreeds think that one day they will make it big and they want to be greedy when they do is all.

I notice that this fits the "save the fetus but don't lift a finger for the born" philosophy perfectly. After all, saving someone else's fetus does not cost them a damned thing.

Do they realize Trump went to Wharton?

Absolutely

They are the party of tax cuts for.the rich and borrow the money to pay for.it

Deregulate corporations to maximize profits to the detriment of quality of life for our children and our children's children

Everything else is just rhetoric

Back
Top Bottom