• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is CNN Turning Over a New Leaf?

MaryP

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Most of you have heard by now that CNN broke the story that Donald Trump was doing nothing out of the ordinary bypassing the WH switchboard on Jan 6. He mostly used the switchboard for calls when he was in the residence, but not at work. So the 'BOMBSHELL' of 7 +hours of calls missing from the WH phone logs (reported by WaPo) was a nothing burger.

The point is, can you imagine CNN going after a story like that a year ago, that makes Donald look less guilty? I could see them mentioning it, maybe, if another outlet found it out, but to go burrowing for tne truth? About DJT? Not a year ago.

There's been a change in management at CNN. Zucker is gone, Chris Licht is in. He is reported to want to return CNN to a hard-news outlet. They did take one of Fox's most respected interviewers, Chris Wallace, although I hear he's only on the streaming service programming right now. CNN has also merged with Discovery, which may make a difference. Or not.

Do any of you who watch cable news see any difference yet in CNN?

I don’t watch CNN, but I read that their (+) is not working out well. I got a come on for a 1/2 price for life on their new premium content channel. I have long questioned the business model that says “cut the cable,” and then sign up for a load of special content channels at $5 and $10 per month. There is always something on the channel that I do not subscribe to. I would be more in favor of purchasing individual programs as I wanted to view them.

I suspect that the NFL is attempting to get themselves behind a pay wall. I think Thursday Night is only available on Amazon Prime starting next season.

I had not watched CNN since 2016 because of its biased reporting about The Donald.

But recently I have been watching its Ukraine coverage (along with FOX's).

Hopefully it will return to unbiased reporting of just the facts.

I only watch CNN for election results. I think John King does a great job.

Then again, that's probably the only time I watch any news station. So much easier and faster to read.

I heard about the Trump phone story on NPR. PBS and NPR are favorite far right whipping boys.
The news traveled fast. I was both disappointed and angry to find we'd been jerked around like that. I thought for once the Committee really had something.

I have to admit I have not watched CNN in a number of years, I've long felt that they're a Fox News with less outright lying but more 'lies by omission.' Further, in this day and age, where direct access to source material is so effortless, I feel less reliant on a news outlet to interpret and condense news for me. If Trump said something stupid, I don't need CNN to tell me that it was stupid; I can just pull up the video or transcript of the precise words he said and form my own opinion. If someone sponsors or votes for a bill, I can pull down the bill text and scan it myself. I neither need nor want CNN's or Fox's shade on it.

If they are getting away from interpretation of news and closer to a Reuters-style here's-what-happened then I think that's a good thing.

I have to admit I have not watched CNN in a number of years, I've long felt that they're a Fox News with less outright lying but more 'lies by omission.' Further, in this day and age, where direct access to source material is so effortless, I feel less reliant on a news outlet to interpret and condense news for me. If Trump said something stupid, I don't need CNN to tell me that it was stupid; I can just pull up the video or transcript of the precise words he said and form my own opinion. If someone sponsors or votes for a bill, I can pull down the bill text and scan it myself. I neither need nor want CNN's or Fox's shade on it.

If they are getting away from interpretation of news and closer to a Reuters-style here's-what-happened then I think that's a good thing.
Agree 100%

Most of you have heard by now that CNN broke the story that Donald Trump was doing nothing out of the ordinary bypassing the WH switchboard on Jan 6. He mostly used the switchboard for calls when he was in the residence, but not at work. So the 'BOMBSHELL' of 7 +hours of calls missing from the WH phone logs (reported by WaPo) was a nothing burger.

The point is, can you imagine CNN going after a story like that a year ago, that makes Donald look less guilty? I could see them mentioning it, maybe, if another outlet found it out, but to go burrowing for tne truth? About DJT? Not a year ago.

There's been a change in management at CNN. Zucker is gone, Chris Licht is in. He is reported to want to return CNN to a hard-news outlet. They did take one of Fox's most respected interviewers, Chris Wallace, although I hear he's only on the streaming service programming right now. CNN has also merged with Discovery, which may make a difference. Or not.

When did Licht take over? My usual litmus test for CNN's left bias is searching their site for racial identifiers. A spot test just now (Black, white, Asian, minority, latin, Hispanic) reveals no such terms. However it was positive for one instance of the term "race", which leads to this article on a bill that 'limits' the discussion of race in classrooms, which is a very robust anti-CRT bill. Still, even a reduction in CNN's racial rhetoric would be welcome.

When did Licht take over? My usual litmus test for CNN's left bias is searching their site for racial identifiers. A spot test just now (Black, white, Asian, minority, latin, Hispanic) reveals no such terms. However it was positive for one instance of the term "race", which leads to this article on a bill that 'limits' the discussion of race in classrooms, which is a very robust anti-CRT bill. Still, even a reduction in CNN's racial rhetoric would be welcome.
He is officially taking over this month.

Agree 100%
Well, FWIW, I just glanced through CNN's home page and it was refreshingly "here's what's up" in nature. That was a pleasant surprise.

I then checked Fox News and it's the same old Fox still, stoking culture wars and trying to poke liberals in the eyes.

Well, FWIW, I just glanced through CNN's home page and it was refreshingly "here's what's up" in nature. That was a pleasant surprise.

I then checked Fox News and it's the same old Fox still, stoking culture wars and trying to poke liberals in the eyes.
If CNN keeps breaking nonpartisan news, some fact starved Fox viewers might tune in. My dad always watched the local Fox station for the news (this was almost 20 years ago) and at that time, it was still pretty much news, not just opinion. I'm not sure what happened, but the cable news stations really went to hell. Getting them all back to news might be good for us.

CNN and the other leftist media outlets have already done their damage. It doesnt matter that they have come out and said "ooooooopsie....sorry....." because they have already said "HOLY SCANDAL...TRUMP HID 7 HOURS OF PHONE RECORDS!!!!" and the leftists have already swallowed fully and will repeat the same lies 6 years from now.

CNN admits their errors--------------------FOX never does (like Trump)

Since Trump is no longer president there is no "moral imperative" for CNN to spend 80% of their broadcast day covering reasons he sucks. Also, having been burned on dozens of "bombshell" stories over the past 5 years they may be trying to build back at least a shred of integrity.

I used to like CNN HLN but that was 20-30 years ago.

Now they're just a mouthpiece for the DNC. No thanks.
CNN should have died with Eason Jordan, Peter Arnett and Bernie Shaw. It was State Media before state media was cool.

If CNN keeps breaking nonpartisan news, some fact starved Fox viewers might tune in. My dad always watched the local Fox station for the news (this was almost 20 years ago) and at that time, it was still pretty much news, not just opinion. I'm not sure what happened, but the cable news stations really went to hell. Getting them all back to news might be good for us.
FoxNews has been heavily weighted toward opinion versus news from its inception.

CNN has burned their bridges with me but hopefully they’re on the right path now.

I had not watched CNN since 2016 because of its biased reporting about The Donald.

But recently I have been watching its Ukraine coverage (along with FOX's).

Hopefully it will return to unbiased reporting of just the facts.
Do you think Fox is unbiased and just the facts?

CNN should have died with Eason Jordan, Peter Arnett and Bernie Shaw. It was State Media before state media was cool.
Do you think Fox was state media during the Trump years?

Hysterical.... a bunch of Fox News viewers complaining of media bias. This is ostensibly the soot ladened, scorched kettle calling the pot dark gray. The primary problem for Fox viewers is that when one sits on the far tip of the right wing, the fuselage looks way too far to the left (hint, the fuselage is actually the center of the plane).

pot kettle 3.jpg

Note where Fox exists on the X axis relative to the center, then take similar note CNN. For those graphically challenged: on the flight from FOX to the middle of the political spectrum, there is time for a meal and movie, but the CNN to middle of the spectrum flight, its local service.

.Media-Bias-Chart-9.0_January-2022.jpg

Last edited:
I suspect that part of the change of CNN changing is the fact Zucker resigned. Chris Licht, the new CEO, wants to get back to the hard news reporting.

Do you think Fox was state media during the Trump years?
Fox fell in line with the Russian narrative in lock step with NyTimes. Lied to us then; lied on November 4 2020. Better than the rest but still liars. Worse in some ways.

Back
Top Bottom