• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is climate change in your top 5 areas of concern?

Is climate change in your top 5 areas of concern?

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
When considering a new President or any elected official who can bring about change, we always consider which areas we are most concerned about. Is climate change in your top 5 areas of concern for your country? Why or why not? Feel free to share your top 5 if you want.

No, it isn't.

My top 5 areas of concern as far as Presidential focus?

1. Don't mess with the Constitution, especially when it comes to the 1st and 2nd Amendments
2. Stay out of my personal life; just stay away from me
3. Keep our military strong but don't spend all of your time worrying about what's happening in the entire world - we aren't the world's protector and savior
4. Lower my taxes and keep them low
5. Cut the budget down substantially, use that scalpel Obama promised to use but never did

My answer is no, climate change is not in my top five...
My top five is
one: the economy
two: terrorism
three: overreach by the US government
four: illegal immigration
five crime

It's not even in my top 50.

Yes. I want the climate to change. I love warm weather. In fact, all the lights in my house are on and all three cars are idling needlessly in the driveway. If July goes down as one of the hottest months on record I want to know that I played my part.

When considering a new President or any elected official who can bring about change, we always consider which areas we are most concerned about. Is climate change in your top 5 areas of concern for your country? Why or why not? Feel free to share your top 5 if you want.

My top 5:

1. Economy
  2. Law Enforcement/Crime
  3. Foreign Policy
  4. Environment
  5. Economy

It would fall under environment, so yeah, top 5.

It's in my top 1.

Would be interesting to the split of ages in the yes/no camp. Must be easy for people who are older to just think 'screw you, got mine' when it comes to climate.

No. It's up to consumers to demand products created by low emissions...if that is what they want.

My top 5 concerns in a POTUS?

1) Balance the budget
2) Bring all troops home/reduce military expenditure
3) Balance the budget
4) Kill/neuter the Fed
5) Balance the budget

Did I mention a balanced budget?

No. It's up to consumers to demand products created by low emissions...if that is what they want.

The problem comes when consumers know jack **** about what they're talking about.

A person is smart. People are dumb.

It's in my top 1.

Would be interesting to the split of ages in the yes/no camp. Must be easy for people who are older to just think 'screw you, got mine' when it comes to climate.

I'm in my 30s.

It is not automatically in my top 5 because it is so easy to ignore something that does not face an immediate threat tomorrow.
I can think of over 20 things that I care more about on a day to day basis.

But given time to think on it, It has to be my #2 biggest concern.
Right behind my #1 which is the continued health of MAD and NATO in relation to preventing a global nuclear holocaust.

The problem comes when consumers know jack **** about what they're talking about.

A person is smart. People are dumb.

Then they had better learn.

And if they don't and climate change is as bad as advertised and it ends humanity...they have no one to blame but themselves.

We have got to stop looking to government as Mommy and Daddy to make our boo boo's all better.

The masses have to learn to fix it themselves.

If Humanity extinguishes itself, it does not bother me much and I guarantee you the universe won't miss humanity one little bit.
You get what you deserve.
And if climate change is as bad as many say (I do not know if they are right), then it is up to humanity as a whole to fix it....not a bunch of useless, corrupt politicians.

My top 5

1. Illegal immigration...which will have a great effect on #2 and #3
2. Economy
3. National security
4. Supreme Court justices
5. Reducing the size of government (which, I think we all know, isn't gonna happen this go 'round)

Then they had better learn.

And if they don't and climate change is as bad as advertised and it ends humanity...they have no one to blame but themselves.

Nobody is saying anything about ending humanity. It's these kind of exaggerations that misrepresent climate change. Take a look at this graph:

triple-pundit.jpg

These are the places that are going to suffer most. And it will lead to drought and increases in deiseases etc, which will no doubt leave people knocking on our door. Seeing as they're the ones that will suffer, I guess we should just wait for the Indians and Africans to fix the issue eh. I mean, they shouldn't have been booking all those flights, driving all those hummers and burning all that coal!

We have got to stop looking to government as Mommy and Daddy to make our boo boo's all better.

But govt should make your balanced budget boo boo go away??? The govt aren't our mommies and daddies. They're us. Colleagues, friends, relatives etc. There isn't much of a profit motive in preventing climate change, so the govt are simply the best positioned people to begin tackling climate change. Much like they're the best positioned people to balance the budget.

If Humanity extinguishes itself, it does not bother me much and I guarantee you the universe won't miss humanity one little bit.
You get what you deserve.

Lol you don't have to give me all the nihilistic platitudes about the universe and whatever. I came to the realization a long time ago that the universe doesn't care about us. That's precisely why I care and why people care.

Nobody is saying anything about ending humanity. It's these kind of exaggerations that misrepresent climate change.

“Many scientists are now warning that we are moving closer to several tipping points that could — within as little as 10 years — make it impossible for us to avoid irretrievable damage to the planet’s habitability for human civilization" (2006)

“The survival of the United States of America as we know it is at risk. And even more — if more should be required — the future of human civilization is at stake.”

“Many scientists are now warning that we are moving closer to several tipping points that could — within as little as 10 years — make it impossible for us to avoid irretrievable damage to the planet’s habitability for human civilization" (2006)

“The survival of the United States of America as we know it is at risk. And even more — if more should be required — the future of human civilization is at stake.”

Irretrievable damage to habitability and survival of the USA =/= ending humanity. As for human civilization, that's a threat that would only present itself a long way down the road (if at all). In all likelihood, it'll be pretty easy for the majority for people like us in rich countries to deal with climate change. The issue is really there for the other 6bn people on the planet.

Climate change very much will lead to irretrievable damage to habitability around the world. Floods and droughts are already making sure of that.

1) internalise international security at supra national level with reliable, general and robust enforcement to prevent multipolarization from ending inevitably in major war.
2) roll back social programs and Social Security and replace them with automatic but low minimum income program.
3) move as much of the school system out of the public sector as possible.
4) mandatory minimum insurance ( $150 pm ) and forbid government's paying bills of uninsured
5/6) expanded research of and possibly responsibility for enforcing procedures for pandemic and climate forcer controls.

Nobody is saying anything about ending humanity. It's these kind of exaggerations that misrepresent climate change. Take a look at this graph:

triple-pundit.jpg

These are the places that are going to suffer most. And it will lead to drought and increases in deiseases etc, which will no doubt leave people knocking on our door. Seeing as they're the ones that will suffer, I guess we should just wait for the Indians and Africans to fix the issue eh. I mean, they shouldn't have been booking all those flights, driving all those hummers and burning all that coal!

But govt should make your balanced budget boo boo go away??? The govt aren't our mommies and daddies. They're us. Colleagues, friends, relatives etc. There isn't much of a profit motive in preventing climate change, so the govt are simply the best positioned people to begin tackling climate change. Much like they're the best positioned people to balance the budget.

Lol you don't have to give me all the nihilistic platitudes about the universe and whatever. I came to the realization a long time ago that the universe doesn't care about us. That's precisely why I care and why people care.

I never said climate change was life threatening...and I don't much care even if it is - I will be long dead before it effects me and I do my part so my conscious is clean.

Climate change is up to individuals...not the government.

And the balanced budget is NOT up to individuals after the election. The masses cannot force governments to balance budgets...they can only threaten to not vote for them if they don't balance it. The politicians are directly responsible for the fiscal budgets...not the masses.

But climate change is ALL about the masses. They can economically boycott corporations that do not clean up their act. They can buy only products that are better for the environment. They can drive less and walk/ride more.
Politicians can do little. Look at Kyoto? Big hoopla...hardly any change in the end.
If the masses truly want climate change to stop - only they can truly stop it.

If you wait for politicians to stop it, you are naive. Because I guarantee you they won't.

This obviously means more to you then it does to me.

We are done here.

Good day.

I never said climate change was life threatening...and I don't much care even if it is - I will be long dead before it effects me and I do my part so my conscious is clean.

Surprise surprise.

Climate change is up to individuals...not the government.

And the balanced budget is NOT up to individuals after the election. The masses cannot force governments to balance budgets...they can only threaten to not vote for them if they don't balance it. The politicians are directly responsible for the fiscal budgets...not the masses.

But climate change is ALL about the masses. They can economically boycott corporations that do not clean up their act. They can buy only products that are better for the environment. They can drive less and walk/ride more.
Politicians can do little. Look at Kyoto? Big hoopla...hardly any change in the end.
If the masses truly want climate change to stop - only they can truly stop it.

If you wait for politicians to stop it, you are naive. Because I guarantee you they won't.

Except no matter how you try to spin things the govt are in the best position to tackle climate change. That's the entire point of govt. To tackle issues that are a) too large to be handled individually and/or b) don't yield profit (hence lack of corporate interest). CC fits both criteria.

This obviously means more to you then it does to me.

We are done here.

Good day.

Good day to you too.

There are at least 20 things that are more important than climate change... 30? Maybe 50.

There are at least 20 things that are more important than climate change... 30? Maybe 50.

Hey -- we agree on something. It's like old times.

Hey -- we agree on something. It's like old times.

We agree on a lot you just get upset with me over an issue although I can't remember what it is...

You are implying the extinction of the species which no one in science is saying is even a remote possibility. Will civilizations be severely tested and disrupted? The answer is a definite yes if we consider a time frame measured in decades to centuries. Sea level rise and a shift in arable regions will do that.

Back
Top Bottom