• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Christianity Political?

Is Christianity a Political Movement?

• Total voters
Wrong. It's based on my personal experience with Christianity as a former evangelical Christian.

So you can judge a whole group of million of people based on your personal experience. Yeah, that will work...

So you can judge a whole group of million of people based on your personal experience. Yeah, that will work...

I think that it can be argued that evangelicals understand the evangelical perspective better than outsiders. Just like fundamentalist polygamists understand the culture better than outsiders. Or, Islamics understand their faith better than the average western Christian.

I would definitely say that to describe the evangelical movement as political in nature is not a misnomer by any stretch of the imagination, and other sects, such as Catholicism, have a long history of the same.

I would definitely say that to describe the evangelical movement as political in nature is not a misnomer by any stretch of the imagination, and other sects, such as Catholicism, have a long history of the same.

Neither statement is untrue, nor does either statement prove that all of christianity is political. This addresses your post above this one as well. No one has claimed there are not christian political groups, nor that some christians are active in politics, only that this is not the entirety, and generalizing them as such is unfair and does a disservice to those who do not fit into those categories.

Catz, the point you are missing is that even if Christians did want to use their religion in politics - and I maintain that most of them do not - that would not make Christianity a primarily political thing, any more than race is a primarily political thing because blacks all voted for Obama.

No, but extremist Christianity is tolerated by the mainstream way more than it should be. The average American Christian may not be an extremist, but for all you know his next door neighbor might be. It's similar to how many mainstream Muslims don't support terrorism, but refuse to condemn the radicals directly just because they seem to believe that Muslims have to stick together. In the US, the end result is that radical Christians can get away with way more hate speech and have more political influence than any non-Christian would who spouts the same kind of vitriol. That's whyJerry Falwel got himself a nice little memorial special on CNN - had Jerry been a Muslim spouting the same kind of insanity, no one in the US would have touched him with a 10-foot pole.

Of course. But it's the 21st century. Most everything is political. Even feeding the hungry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux:

If christianity is political, then it is immune to protections from hate speech. The. End.

What protections? There are no such protections for anyone.

Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux:

What protections? There are no such protections for anyone.

That was on a discussion about forum rules. Pay no attention to it.

"Christianity" in theory should not be political. However, what has happened is that the radical right wing has politicized the term "Christian" to advance their far-right wing agenda.
As a result, there are many of us who are Christian who are now embarassed to be associated with them.
I am Christian...but not "Christian".
When people today ask me what religion I am I tell that that I believe in Christ and strive to live a Christ-like life...which today is about as far away from "Christian as there is.

Lol you think that law is actually enforced? Be glad it isn't or half of the churches in the Bible belt would have the feds on their asses.

You are right when the democrats campaign in black churches for show.

By the way Catz and Tooth, I am also an ex-evangelical.

This topic came up in another thread, but I figured it was more appropriate to move it here.

Is Christianity - All of Christianity, not just any political movement within it - a political movement?

Worshiping a Cosmic Jewish Zombie is not political. The people who practice it make it political.

The argument was that a user's signature violated hate speech rules because it merged the swastika with a cross.

Was the swastika tilted like a diamond or was it flat horizontal like a square. Two different symbols there...

In America? Most certainly.

Was the swastika tilted like a diamond or was it flat horizontal like a square. Two different symbols there...
This:

4177730287_8e5960826c_m.jpg

This topic came up in another thread, but I figured it was more appropriate to move it here.

Is Christianity - All of Christianity, not just any political movement within it - a political movement?

I wouldn't call Christianity a political movement, but it has been intimately tied to politics. Even Jesus himself was a victim of the political times in a lot of ways. What I'm saying is that it's not possible to separate Christianity from its politics since, from a historical perspective, Christendom in the geopolitical sense has contributed directly to the evolution of the doctrine.

Let me be clear...

I think religion is inherently political. Just go to the average church business meeting and you'll see what I mean...factions, politicking, lobbying.

Real faith, however, isn't political. It's deeply personal.

When I talk about Christianity, I am referring to the religious hierarchy and the religion itself, not the faith. Two separate things. That may help people to understand where I'm coming from.

No, but extremist Christianity is tolerated by the mainstream way more than it should be. The average American Christian may not be an extremist, but for all you know his next door neighbor might be. It's similar to how many mainstream Muslims don't support terrorism, but refuse to condemn the radicals directly just because they seem to believe that Muslims have to stick together. In the US, the end result is that radical Christians can get away with way more hate speech and have more political influence than any non-Christian would who spouts the same kind of vitriol. That's whyJerry Falwel got himself a nice little memorial special on CNN - had Jerry been a Muslim spouting the same kind of insanity, no one in the US would have touched him with a 10-foot pole.
What is extremist Christianity?

Absolutely not.

Wearing shoes is political.

Back
Top Bottom