• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Christianity Political?

Is Christianity a Political Movement?

• Total voters
Which, of course, is absolutely ridiculous. The opposite is true, in fact. You don't see atheists condemning believers to an eternity of torture just because they believe something different, do you?

Seriously. A non-believer claiming (quite accurately) that Christianity in America is extremely politicized would be called a hater. Because, it's hateful to point out the obvious. Right?

Which, of course, is absolutely ridiculous. The opposite is true, in fact. You don't see atheists condemning believers to an eternity of torture just because they believe something different, do you?

They probably would, if they believed in an eternity of torture.

I maintain that atheist's image would significantly improve if a certain subset of them were more tolerant.

Given that we are a representational democracy, that would indeed be true. America is ruled by the people of America. Ergo, Americans are political.

You seriously suck at logic.

Seriously. A non-believer claiming (quite accurately) that Christianity in America is extremely politicized would be called a hater. Because, it's hateful to point out the obvious. Right?

The fact that you think Christianity is political doesn't make you a hater, it makes you suck at logic.

The fact that you think that Christianity can be compared to fascism or even Nazism with some degree of accuracy makes you a hater.

I maintain that atheist's image would significantly improve if a certain subset of them were more tolerant.

I maintain that Christians would be tolerated more if they were less political. See, I'm kind of intolerant of having other people's religious views shoved down my throat legislatively on the issues of religious tax exempt status, gay marriage, abortion, etc.

You seriously suck at logic.

Oh really? You have yet to identify the logical fallacy that I've supposedly committed. I think I will take your opinion under advisement.

Last edited:
Is Christianity - All of Christianity, not just any political movement within it - a political movement?
I'm only referencing the Christianity currently present in America.

Although, Uganda is a close second.

Certainly, Christianity is a litmus test for the presidency. When was the last time we elected (or even remotely considered) a non-Christian?

You may not want to think of Christianity as political, but let me ask you...

Why are most anti-abortion voters Catholic and/or Evangelical?
Why did religious congregations mobilize their membership against gay marriage and/or fund attack ads making all sorts of ridiculous claims about gays?

In my opinion, the best thing we could do is revoke the tax exempt status for all religious organizations and let them freely embrace the fact that they are money-making entertainment-providing political action committees.

2008. I do not consider Rev. Wright Christian and Obama went there 20 years.

I maintain that Christians would be tolerated more if they were less political.

...:doh

I'm not even sure you actually believe the crap you're spewing right now. It is very likely you just want a response.

Oh really? You have yet to identify the logical fallacy that I've supposedly committed. I think I will take your opinion under advisement.

Irrelevant Conclusion.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy]Fallacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

I'm only referencing the Christianity currently present in America.

Although, Uganda is a close second.

Good, so am I.

The fact that you think Christianity is political doesn't make you a hater, it makes you suck at logic.

You saying that I suck at logic doesn't prove anything or add much to the discussion. It's really more of a personal attack.

The fact that you think that Christianity can be compared to fascism or even Nazism with some degree of accuracy makes you a hater.

Actually, it means I've studied history.

Christians waterboarding suspected heretics:

waterboard_inquisition.jpg

Christians burning "witches":

burning_witch.jpg

Search Malleus Maleficarum and learn about how the Holy Catholic Church conducted purges and torture of witches, heretics, and Jews.

Just because it didn't happen in the last 50 years does not mean it didn't happen. Members of the Christian faith have killed MILLIONS in the name of their faith.

You saying that I suck at logic doesn't prove anything or add much to the discussion. It's really more of a personal attack.

Then maybe you should stop sucking at logic.

Actually, it means I've studied history.

Christians waterboarding suspected heretics:

waterboard_inquisition.jpg

Christians burning "witches":

burning_witch.jpg

Search Malleus Maleficarum and learn about how the Holy Catholic Church conducted purges and torture of witches, heretics, and Jews.

Just because it didn't happen in the last 50 years does not mean it didn't happen. Members of the Christian faith have killed MILLIONS in the name of their faith.

Okay, and this happens with every religion, including atheism.

And yet, do modern American Christians believe in torturing non-believers, or burning witches? (If you say "yes" I give up.)

No, theologically, it is not political. There are those who would make it so and that is a twisted version of Christianity. The Church is to work in tandem with government in helping the poor, etc and in championing causes that lead to a more just society, i.e. universal health care. This is done simply through understanding that people are Images of God and therefore to be treated with all dignity. If the government is willing to work in tandem with the church, then that is a tool which can be used.

My priests never mention politics except in our daily prayers where we pray for the citizens of our country and the president (generically, not by name). Otherwise, there is no political preaching, no political suggestions, and no political advice from the services or teaching moments in my church.

This reflects my church in North America of course.

It is hard to be political when by law a non profit church can not endorse or give opinions on elections.

It is hard to be political when by law a non profit church can not endorse or give opinions on elections.
Lol you think that law is actually enforced? Be glad it isn't or half of the churches in the Bible belt would have the feds on their asses.

Then maybe you should stop sucking at logic.

Ad hominem without supporting evidence.

Okay, and this happens with every religion, including atheism.

So, then, why does Christianity get a pass?

And yet, do modern American Christians believe in torturing non-believers, or burning witches? (If you say "yes" I give up.)

Did you miss the story in the religion section about the father (a pastor) who dripped melted plastic on his daughter because she was a witch?

And yeah, this is all about peace and tolerance:

"But, throwing God out successfully with the help of the federal court system, throwing God out of the public square, out of the schools. The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say, "You helped this happen."

-- Rev Jerry Falwell, blaming civil libertarians, feminists, homosexuals, and abortion rights supporters for the terrorist attacks of Tuesday, September 11, 2001, quoted from John F Harris, "God Gave US 'What We Deserve,' Falwell Says," The Washington Post (September 14, 2001)

I'm sorry, but you cannot tell me that if this guy had his way, they wouldn't be burning (or at the minimum), incarcerating non-believers.

Being taller than four foot is political. Wearing a tie is political.

So have most groups if you go back far enough. Your point in this?
It's doctrine makes it far more inclined to violence and authoritarian rule than, say Buddhism or secularism. That is fact that you could learn for yourself if you actually studied religions instead of dropping your little "well other people do bad stuff too" card and pretending you have a point.

It's doctrine makes it far more inclined to violence and authoritarian rule than, say Buddhism or secularism. That is fact that you could learn for yourself if you actually studied religions instead of dropping your little "well other people do bad stuff too" card and pretending you have a point.

Please, point to where said doctrine is canonized in the church.

The comparison to Nazism is not as much heinous and hateful as it is accurate and historically correct.

Yep, you've convinced me now. Christians do currently seek to exterminate undesirable people. They gas them in ovens, by the millions. They're just like Nazis. Why have I never noticed?

Last edited:
Please, point to where said doctrine is canonized in the church.
Read the fuggin Bible!

"Now go attack the Amalekites and totally destroy them. Do not spare them, put to death men, women, children, infants, cattle, sheep, camels, and donkeys." - 1 Samuel 15:3

For example. Find something like this occurring in the name of "secularism" (Communism doesn't count).

Yep, you've convinced me now. Christians do currently seek to exterminate undesirable people. They gas them in ovens, by the thousands. They're just like Nazis. Why have I never noticed?
Some do. Either way, there's a difference between attacking all members of the Christian religion, and attacking the religion's doctrine itself.

The comparison to Nazism is not as much heinous and hateful as it is accurate and historically correct.

Which does not make Christianity political. You are changing subjects now.

Back
Top Bottom