• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Christianity Political?

Is Christianity a Political Movement?

• Total voters

Dav

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
This topic came up in another thread, but I figured it was more appropriate to move it here.

If christianity is political, then it is immune to protections from hate speech. The. End.

(and we both know it is).

Christianity, by its own actions, has become a political movement

Is Christianity - All of Christianity, not just any political movement within it - a political movement?

AS I pointed out there, some christians are political, some organizations are political christians, but christianity as a whole is a religion, not political.

It's only political if one makes it so for political gain or advantage.

More commercial than political.

Why is any group immune from hate speech? So long as you aren't acting out on anything, you should be able to say what you want. For instance, I think Scientology is one of the dumbest concepts for religion ever. It's a scam, a damned good one, but a scam none the less. It is my goal in life to make a new religion which focuses on the savior of the Universe, Lord Xenu and the propaganda plot against him by evil forces and his subsequent incarceration without even a chance of defense. The strife and suffering in the world was caused by the forces set against Lord Xenu, and they continue with lies and propaganda against his character so that they never lose their power. But if the day should come when these evil forces are defeated and Lord Xenu is free, the pain and suffering of the world will be extinguished. Peace will be brought to all...along with icecream. Maybe some hot fudge.

Every major religious doctrine has been politicized in history, even Atheism.

I don't know that it is inherently, but certainly it can be, look at the Republican party. It's run by people who want to make Christianity functionally the defacto religion of the United States. That's not to say that all Christians want that, thankfully, there are some good people out there who can separate their political and religious lives, but I think that far too many people cannot keep one from polluting the other.

Aaah, I made a stupid move and voted yes.

I change to "other," there are several elements of Christianity that are certainly political, but not all of it.

no one now will be elected if you are not for now any way

please click

Certainly, Christianity is a litmus test for the presidency. When was the last time we elected (or even remotely considered) a non-Christian?

You may not want to think of Christianity as political, but let me ask you...

Why are most anti-abortion voters Catholic and/or Evangelical?
Why did religious congregations mobilize their membership against gay marriage and/or fund attack ads making all sorts of ridiculous claims about gays?

In my opinion, the best thing we could do is revoke the tax exempt status for all religious organizations and let them freely embrace the fact that they are money-making entertainment-providing political action committees.

Last edited:
Certainly, Christianity is a litmus test for the presidency. When was the last time we elected (or even remotely considered) a non-Christian?

You may not want to think of Christianity as political, but let me ask you...

Why are most anti-abortion voters Catholic and/or Evangelical?
Why did religious congregations mobilize their membership against gay marriage and/or fund attack ads making all sorts of ridiculous claims about gays?

In my opinion, the best thing we could do is revoke the tax exempt status for all religious organizations and let them freely embrace the fact that they are money-making entertainment-providing political action committees.

Why are most pro abortion people Christian? Why do some churches welcome gays? Why are some churches apolitical?

It's not christianity that is political, it's some christians. It's a significant difference.

Your argument works something like that, to show the obvious fallacy. Anne Coulter is an asshole. Ann Coulter is right wing. Therefore right wingers are assholes. For you, since some Christians are political, therefore Christianity is political.

I disagree with this one statement. I know how it would impact our Buddhist community negatively. It is unfair to punish all religious groups for the abuses of some.

Your argument works something like that, to show the obvious fallacy. Anne Coulter is an asshole. Ann Coulter is right wing. Therefore right wingers are assholes. For you, since some Christians are political, therefore Christianity is political.

No. I've given you multiple examples.

Political candidates for higher office must be Christian.
Many Christian churches and organizations have a political agenda.
Many Christian organizations have influenced political issues for religious reasons.
Thus, Christianity is political.

Many Christian organizations have influenced political issues for religious reasons.

Can you imagine a Muslim trying to get elected POTUS? Do we have any politicians in the US that have successfully run for office who are Muslim?

This topic came up in another thread, but I figured it was more appropriate to move it here.

Is Christianity - All of Christianity, not just any political movement within it - a political movement?
it certainly is, and has been since inception.

Political candidates for higher office must have a certain amount of charisma. Therefore charisma is political. See how stupid that sounds?

Many Christian churches and organizations do not have a political agenda.

Your argument fails, and fails hard.

Political candidates for higher office must have a certain amount of charisma. Therefore charisma is political. See how stupid that sounds?

Candidates for president must be at least 35. Therefore age is political.

All old people are just part of a political movement. We should stop giving them age-related benefits like social security and medicare and let them freely embrace the fact that they are a money-making entertainment-providing political action committee.

Don't forget the handicapped. There are handicapped lobbyists, and lobbyists for handicapped. Being handicapped is a political movement!

Back
Top Bottom