• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Christianity Political?

Is Christianity a Political Movement?

• Total voters
True. Republicans tend to favor wingtips. Progressives tend to favor birkenstocks.

Wha? Since you've relegated the discussion to US presidents, please post a pic of a US president in birkenstocks. We'll be waiting.

Shoes are political. And so is being taller than 5'.

We've never had a progressive president. Surely you realize this.

Spandex is also political. You can't wear it and get elected.

I asked you to support your own assertions using the parameters you yourself shifted earlier. That you push it back on me doesn't surprise me.

Who was Teddy Roosevelt? (Pssssst: He wore shoes, not birks.)

Certainly, Christianity is a litmus test for the presidency. When was the last time we elected (or even remotely considered) a non-Christian?
2008....;)
You may not want to think of Christianity as political, but let me ask you...
Why are most anti-abortion voters Catholic and/or Evangelical?
Why did religious congregations mobilize their membership against gay marriage and/or fund attack ads making all sorts of ridiculous claims about gays?
Faggotry is an abomination in any religion, (or without one)......
In my opinion, the best thing we could do is revoke the tax exempt status for all religious organizations and let them freely embrace the fact that they are money-making entertainment-providing political action committees.

You are not taking into account all of the good things churches do to ease human suffering, ie. homeless shelters, food banks, etc......
That should tug at any Lib's heartstrings, why do they so easily overlook that aspect?......
I find it amusing that lefties have such a hatred for religion, (other than what is preached in the Goran).....;)
The 'evil' of Christianity has run it's course, so you can stop complaining now....:mrgreen:
I'm NOT a religious person, btw.....:)
Although fear & loathing for Islam is still OK, if that avatar were Muhammad holding an AK 47, you might have to go into hiding for fear of retributuion....:)

Last edited:
BUT WHAT ABOUT ZOG? Sure. Now you'll pretend that there is no such thing as ZOG.

:roll:
Since I do not believe that you refer to the antisemitic conspiracy theory, what is ZOG?

Last edited:
Since I do not believe that you refer to the antisemitic conspiracy theory, what is ZOG?

Zionist Occupational Government. I was being sarcastic. Sorry, should have used the universally recognized /sarcasm symbol.

I asked you to support your own assertions using the parameters you yourself shifted earlier. That you push it back on me doesn't surprise me.

Who was Teddy Roosevelt? (Pssssst: He wore shoes, not birks.)

zomg-you-ve-won-internet.gif

Why don't you, at this point, pretend that you've won*, because I'm particularly tired of engaging pointless rebuttals like this. Yay. You've won the internetz. Go you. Although, I will point out that the poll indicates that there are as many people who agree with me as disagree with me. Considering the conservative nature of this forum, I find that interesting.

*The pointless posturing and vapidity of your arguments has worn me down, and I've stopped caring.

Last edited:
Although, I will point out that the poll indicates that there are as many people who agree with me as disagree with me.

Appeal to popularity. Yet another fallacy.

Do I really need to point out the obvious that this was posted as a poll? :lol:

Do I really need to point out the obvious that this was posted as a poll? :lol:

What a poll does, is it tells you what people believe. You can use the results of a poll to support statements such as, "most people seem to think [blah blah blah]", but when you use the results of a poll to say that your position has merit because others agree with you, that's an appeal to popularity, and it is a fallacy.

The Earth used to be flat.

It only became round when enough people began believing so.

The earth IS flat. There are lots of flat places on earth. And people are constantly making the earth be flat, so that they can build stuff on it, like houses.

Like how Mount Everest became the tallest mountain only after it was discovered?

Like how Mount Everest became the tallest mountain only after it was discovered?

And things only started being made out of atoms when we discovered them. Apparently, human observation and discovery makes reality what it is.

Of course. But it's the 21st century. Most everything is political. Even feeding the hungry.

Well, yes, Christianity is an issue within politics, as is pretty much everything these days, including race and gender. But is politics the main issue within Christianity? That's what I'm asking.

"Christianity" in theory should not be political. However, what has happened is that the radical right wing has politicized the term "Christian" to advance their far-right wing agenda.
As a result, there are many of us who are Christian who are now embarassed to be associated with them.
I am Christian...but not "Christian".
When people today ask me what religion I am I tell that that I believe in Christ and strive to live a Christ-like life...which today is about as far away from "Christian as there is.

What a load of crap. When most people hear the word "Christian" they do not immediately think of anything political. Not to mention that not everyone in the "radical right wing" is Christian (see Scarecrow Ackbar), and only a tiny portion of Christians are in the "radical right wing".

Let me be clear...

I think religion is inherently political. Just go to the average church business meeting and you'll see what I mean...factions, politicking, lobbying.

This is not even close to what you were originally talking about. You said that Christianity is so much a political movement that it should be categorized in the same way as any political position by the forum rules. A church business meeting is not a part of such a political movement, and you never brought such things up; you just kept implying that Christianity is primarily concerned with politics, to the point where you called it a PAC.

A church business meeting is not even part of Christianity. It is a meeting for the upkeep of an institute that is part of Christianity. The meeting itself has nothing to do with the religion.

I'm wondering if you're just trying to change your angle now because your last one was so batsh** crazy.

Real faith, however, isn't political. It's deeply personal.

When I talk about Christianity, I am referring to the religious hierarchy and the religion itself, not the faith. Two separate things. That may help people to understand where I'm coming from.

What's the difference between a "religion" and a "faith", in your mind?

zomg-you-ve-won-internet.gif

Why don't you, at this point, pretend that you've won*, because I'm particularly tired of engaging pointless rebuttals like this. Yay. You've won the internetz. Go you.
*The pointless posturing and vapidity of your arguments has worn me down, and I've stopped caring.

And yet, you still have not responded to a single one of those rebuttals, despite the thread being flooded with them. As we have pointed out some gazillion times now, by your logic, if Christianity is political, then so is race, age, gender, and a whole bunch of other non-political things. Do you have a response to this?

Although, I will point out that the poll indicates that there are as many people who agree with me as disagree with me. Considering the conservative nature of this forum, I find that interesting.

Likely many of them don't think it's true in the same way you do, though. See GySgt's post, and my response.

Being over 35 years old is political. Having a birth certificate is political.

This topic came up in another thread, but I figured it was more appropriate to move it here.

Is Christianity - All of Christianity, not just any political movement within it - a political movement?

Christianity has been used to justify pretty much everything from communism (see liberation theology) to fascism (See Francisco Franco) to Anarchism (see Leo Tolstoy). Its certainly been used to justify many political systems and ideas of the years but to claim it is a cohesive political movement is absurd. Even evangelicalism in the United States is far more politically diverse then its made out to be. Have a look at these guys.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Campolo]Tony Campolo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Wallis]Jim Wallis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sojourners_community]Sojourners Community - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Did you know that no US president has ever been an only child? Having siblings is political.

Back
Top Bottom