• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Change Coming to Israel?

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
After seeing centrist politician Yair Lapid flip former defense minister and one time Netanyahu ally Naftali Bennett, Bibi's people take to the streets.

Netanyahu backers slammed right-wing parties planning to join the broad-based coalition as “traitors,” picketed their homes and issued threats that led police to provide additional security to at least two of the targeted politicians.
The pressure came as members of the coalition finalized their agreement to form a power-sharing government that would include former Netanyahu allies, centrists and liberals, and even the indirect support of an Arab Islamist party.
The deal came together when the sides agreed to allow Bennett to become Israel’s prime minister for a set number of years before Lapid takes over, a true form of sharing government. If the deal holds, it looks like Netanyahu will be shut out in the process.

This is bigger than politics, because Bennet was a hard-liner, an advocate for annexation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem (land Israel has occupied since 1967). However, as the new Prime Minister of a shared government, "he would be unlikely to translate those ideological views into official policy," analysts say.

In response, Bibi went all out Trump.
Netanyahu reacted with outrage at Bennett’s move, accusing his former protege of committing “the fraud of the century” in televised remarks Sunday night. Netanyahu supporters branded Bennett and his fellow party leader Ayelet Shaked, a former justice minister, as betrayers of their right-wing voters, saying they would usher in a resurgence of Israel’s long-diminished left wing.
So, this is probably far from over.

Here's more.
Note it's behind paywall. So, those without access to the Post may need to find an alternate source.

I saw that on the news today, grabbed a fistful of air and yelled, "Yes!!"

There will never be peace until that corrupt crook Netanyahu is ousted, and they get a decent PM at the helm.

There will never be peace until that corrupt crook Netanyahu is ousted, and they get a decent PM at the helm.
Trouble being that the political landscape and subsequent parliamentary set-up in Israel is (like with many other countries) NOT at all like the US where you get either the one or the other.

As such no government can really be formed without any party wishing to lead it forming coalitions, and often with the most questionable bed partners.

Bennett, the guy who would now be kingmaker, is so ultra right wing nationalist that even the more extreme factions of Netanyahu's Likud look like choirboys in comparison.

OTH he holds a ridiculously small number of votes so the art will consist of maintaining those while shutting him up. Yet if he scuttles out again (as he did with Netanyahu), any future government falls. Small as his number of votes may be, it suffices to topple any coalition.

The problem that Israel faces is not an (admittedly) ever weakening of moderate groups, it's the inability to provide a stable center majority.

After seeing centrist politician Yair Lapid flip former defense minister and one time Netanyahu ally Naftali Bennett, Bibi's people take to the streets.

The deal came together when the sides agreed to allow Bennett to become Israel’s prime minister for a set number of years before Lapid takes over, a true form of sharing government. If the deal holds, it looks like Netanyahu will be shut out in the process.

This is bigger than politics, because Bennet was a hard-liner, an advocate for annexation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem (land Israel has occupied since 1967). However, as the new Prime Minister of a shared government, "he would be unlikely to translate those ideological views into official policy," analysts say.

In response, Bibi went all out Trump.

Here's more.
Note it's behind paywall. So, those without access to the Post may need to find an alternate source.

This:
is the only thing that can be said with certainty.

The peaceful Palestinians are just all of a sudden going get rid of Hamas because Bibi is gone?

As long as Hamas has their boots on the throats of Palestinians, there will not be peace.

lol...this Bibi guy really is a Mini Me Trump.

Following the development, Netanyahu, as known as “Bibi” across Israel, said that a coalition government without him was a “danger” for Israel’s security, according to AFP.
Translation: "Only I can save you!"

The peaceful Palestinians are just all of a sudden going get rid of Hamas because Bibi is gone?

As long as Hamas has their boots on the throats of Palestinians, there will not be peace.
Hamas is a problem. Bibi is a problem. Let's get rid of one, and then focus on the other.

Looks like the new government crossed its final hurdle Wednesday night (Israeli time).

Yamina leader Naftali Bennett, Lapid and Ra'am (United Arab List) chairman Mansour Abbas signed an agreement at a meeting on Wednesday night at Ramat Gan's Kfar Hamaccabiah Hotel, in the first coalition deal ever signed by an Arab party.

@calamity

Netanyahu is unfortunately not out yet. The new coalition must face a vote of confidence in the Knesset in the near future and with only 61 votes in the 120 seat house, the proposed coalition government is teetering on a political cliff-edge. You can bet that Netanyahu is doing his utmost to peel votes from the coalition anywhere he can find them in order to destroy the coalition and to bring about a fifth round of elections.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

@calamity

Netanyahu is unfortunately not out yet. The new coalition must face a vote of confidence in the Knesset in the near future and with only 61 votes in the 120 seat house, the proposed coalition government is teetering on a political cliff-edge. You can bet that Netanyahu is doing his utmost to peel votes from the coalition anywhere he can find them in order to destroy the coalition and to bring about a fifth round of elections.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

And a sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth...etc until Israelis get fed up and just decide voting isn't worth it.
I think I see a similar pattern in the state audits over here, am I wrong?

And a sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth...etc until Israelis get fed up and just decide voting isn't worth it.
I think I see a similar pattern in the state audits over here, am I wrong?
Not the same

Not being one for puzzles I don’t recognize the pattern

Might be a little vague but if you work it over in the mind's eye you will see it.
Basically, it's like when you're a kid and you get a cut or a bruise, and you spend hours just messing with it, and the pain gets sort of numbed in a way, and out of sheer boredom you start messing with it because you've become inured to the pain itself.

By subjecting Arizona voters to the repeated bashes and bruises on nonstop "audits", a lot of voters eventually become numbed out and don't bother voting anymore.
The Israelis are going to become numbed to nonstop repeat elections, and Bibi and the Likud are counting on that.

"The beatings shall continue until morale improves."

Hamas is a problem. Bibi is a problem. Let's get rid of one, and then focus on the other.
that doddering 80 year old abbas, who has sown corruption while not facing an election in 15 years gives hamas strength
the Palestinians would choose hamas in a skinny minute over abbas ... which explains his canceling the elections
abbas is nothing more than a shill for the israeli and USA governments
and he has been good for them
nothing has been accomplished on the Palestinians' behalf since abbas was appointed by the USA and israel to represent the Palestinian cause

that doddering 80 year old abbas, who has sown corruption while not facing an election in 15 years gives hamas strength
the Palestinians would choose hamas in a skinny minute over abbas ... which explains his canceling the elections
abbas is nothing more than a shill for the israeli and USA governments
and he has been good for them
nothing has been accomplished on the Palestinians' behalf since abbas was appointed by the USA and israel to represent the Palestinian cause
IMO, the alternative is Palestine gets erased. Abbas likely kept the end at bay. Hamas would have ushered it in. Remember, the Palestinians are out-gunned, out-manned and surrounded. They're literally children with sticks attacking tanks.

Back
Top Bottom