• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Catholicism part of/is Christianity?

Catholics are not Christians?

• Total voters
Several Protestant churches did as well, In numerous countries including Britain and Sweden after the so called “reformation” Catholics faced loss of citizenship or death. Persecution does not mean one particular sect is right or wrong. As another element, the Catholic Church (not the “RCC” Roman Catholic is an invention of the English language,
In short, so there is the ROMAN Catholic Church
and the ENGLISH Catholic Church = the Anglican Church

In short, so there is the ROMAN Catholic Church
and the ENGLISH Catholic Church = the Anglican Church

And the Eastern Catholic Churches.

Its because the people who are constantly whining about "pagan rituals" are basically straining at gnats and swallowing camels. You have to run pretty far pretty fast to get away from the Pagans - wedding rings, neckties, the list goes on and on. Further, you know bloody well that the JWs insistence that Jesus was crucified on a stake instead of a cross is just poking Catholics in the eye, which is the worst reason in the world for condemning a Christian group if you are going to claim to be Christian yourself.

Like me, the Pastors you speak of I am sure didn't believe your claims and have probably heard them too many times.

You are missing the point of the Gospel: clean up your own act and leave the rest o
I pointed those "claims" out in the bible. At that moment, the anger came out. I guess we can believe what we choose. When it comes down to it, I'll stick with the bible. I will take your advice though and clean up my own act as there is scripture to back it up. BTW, choosing not to participate in particular Christian groups, isn't condemning them. Peace be with you....

Speaking as a former Catholic, I prefer to look at individuals rather than institutions. The institutions are all Christian, but most Christians are not Christian because of how poorly they practice their own religion. The confusion is reflected in how many sects of Christianity exist today. The petty rivalries between sects and the mindless obedience to clergy demonstrate that most don't understand the universal core faith. As for Catholicism more specifically... it has a lot of rituals and beliefs which are unique, such as worship of Saints, that I have always felt separate and alienate it from the other denominations. It looks suspiciously like polytheism, which is idolatry.

Speaking as a former Catholic, I prefer to look at individuals rather than institutions. The institutions are all Christian, but most Christians are not Christian because of how poorly they practice their own religion. The confusion is reflected in how many sects of Christianity exist today. The petty rivalries between sects and the mindless obedience to clergy demonstrate that most don't understand the universal core faith. As for Catholicism more specifically... it has a lot of rituals and beliefs which are unique, such as worship of Saints, that I have always felt separate and alienate it from the other denominations. It looks suspiciously like polytheism, which is idolatry.

Catholics don't "worship Saints".

Is God just a title?
See it as a job description. :cool:

His name is another matter. :)

If you ask me, it is an easy job - you can blame anything on others! Not fair!

Btw:
Next Monday the Christian world celebrates the 15th of August.
Protestants don't, as far as I know.

See it as a job description. :cool:

His name is another matter. :)

If you ask me, it is an easy job - you can blame anything on others! Not fair!

Thats what you do.

As what? A layreader? A Deacon? A Priest?

I'm not going to argue with you. If you want to stay in denial about how Catholics operate around the world, that's your choice.

@ missionary in Europe

Why?

Is Europe so pagan that it needs missionaries?

I would not say "worship".

They honour saints.
And it is quite OK so.

I'm well aware of how Catholics themselves define it. But if you look at how Pagan polytheism functions, Catholicism is kind of a soft version of that. The blood and body rites, the praying to demigods who are a subset of the prime God that can intercede on the behalf of the disciple.

I'm not saying it's not OK, I'm just calling a spade a spade.

After leaving the Catholic Church, I found that paring down all of the excesses I was taught to revere made my faith much simpler yet stronger.

@ missionary in Europe

Why?

Is Europe so pagan that it needs missionaries?

You're assuming that all missionary work is about converting people. It's not. Google is your friend.

Now 24 out of 44 voted in favour of: "Catholics are Christians!" :)

Btw:
Next Monday the Christian world celebrates the 15th of August.
Protestants don't, as far as I know.
I haven't heard anything about Mary's accension since I left the church. There isn't anything I can find in the bible. It's important in Catholicism because they pray to her.

I haven't heard anything about Mary's accension since I left the church.
Not Ascension.
But Assumption.
And this Assumption is also only assumed. :)

There isn't anything I can find in the bible.
What Wiki knows:

The Death of the Virgin Mary is a common subject in Western Christian art, the equivalent of the Dormition of the Theotokos in Eastern Orthodox art. This depiction became less common as the doctrine of the Assumption gained support in the Roman Catholic Church from the Late Middle Ages onward. Although that doctrine avoids stating whether Mary was alive or dead when she was bodily taken up to Heaven, she is normally shown in art as alive. Nothing is said in the Bible about the end of Mary's life, but a tradition dating back to at least the 5th century says the twelve Apostles were miraculously assembled from their far-flung missionary activity to be present at the death, and that is the scene normally depicted, with the apostles gathered round the bed.

Back
Top Bottom