• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Catholicism part of/is Christianity?

Catholics are not Christians?

• Total voters

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I was literally shocked to hear @Crunchtime state that Catholics are not Christians.

His reasoning was that the Protestants had a Reformation and essentially kicked the Catholics and Greek Orthodox out.

Who agrees with this?

I was literally shocked to hear @Crunchtime state that Catholics are not Christians.

His reasoning was that the Protestants had a Reformation and essentially kicked the Catholics and Greek Orthodox out.

Who agrees with this?

It’s a long standing delusion of Protestants here in America.

Who agrees with this?
Christianity has divided 1700 times. Each time, church A was formed from church B because church B had it wrong. It always amazes me that Christ taught us to find commonality, yet we respond by finding (and focusing upon) our differences.

Christianity is an institution of man, with each of its branches perverted in its own way. Each branch has real followers of Christ within, as well as charlatans that have lost their way from Christ, but enjoy the cult nature of the church.

Yes, Catholics are Christians in the same way Baptists and Methodists and even Mormons are Christians. Each house the pure in spirit and each house the wolf in sheep's clothing, because each house men, who are inherently corrupt. Its not the doctrine that makes the Christian, its the love of the Christian for God and the acceptance of Christ as savior that makes the Christian.

Meanwhile, while we consider who is Christian, also consider that real Christians are merely Jews that believe the Messiah has come. Through Christ, Gentiles have been grafted onto the vine of the promise of God to his people. God has not forgotten his people. They are still heirs to the inheritance.

Who agrees with this?
Do Anglicans count?

Do Anglicans count?
I always thought that the three main branches of Christianity were Protestants, Catholics and Greek Orthodox.

There are assuredly more sub-branches... like Anglicans.

It depends on the definition of Christian.
Catholicism teaches that Jesus is God, and that salvation is through Him. So by a simple definition they are Christians.
But Catholicism also teaches some things that many Protestants think are non-biblical (and non-Christian) - the infallibility of the pope for example. And some (not all) Protestants think that these allegedly non-biblical teachings mean Catholicism is not Chritian.

My own personal belief is that anyone who lives according Matthew 25:34-40 is doing what God wants regardless of what label anyone else attaches to him or her.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Who agrees with this?

Angels dancing on the head of a pin. It's all BS, so who cares what labels you want to argue over?

Angels dancing on the head of a pin. It's all BS, so who cares what labels you want to argue over?
I think that religion is complete stupidity... but I still like to understand what people think and why.

Reactions: AJG
Anyone who thinks Jesus is a god is a Christian. That includes JWs and Mormons too.

Who agrees with this?
I can't answer a poll with the items presented.

An actual Christian isn't someone who just happens to belong to a Christian church or even one who goes to church. Many people who go to church aren't Christians at all.

Real Christianity is private and involves trying to follow Christ as a teacher an example but being aware that you come up short and hoping he'll save you. It's as far from moral pride as possible.

There are currently many people who call themselves Christians who are so full of moral pride it's like a skunk emanation. They're responsible for all the rabid anti-abortion laws across America.

This is not a critique of Catholics or Greek Orthodox or Protestants, though. Over half of Catholics are pro-choice, and about a third of Evangelicals are, while mainstream Protestants are much more pro-choice. And it seems to me that this difference is all about what you believe. If you're anti-choice, you believe in bullying others and using force to make them behave as you wish or punishing them. If you're pro-choice, you're not a bully and don't believe in using force. Christians are pro-choice, not arrogant bullies.

Who agrees with this?
Christianity is a cult, with many parts. Catholicism is one part. They are all interpretations of the God myth as put forth in the old Black Book. Any group organized around faith in the unprovable magic is a cult.
I appreciate that some people need something to belong to is fine with me as long as they keep it out of lawmaking & hurting folks who don't share their fantasy. Many people live their lives in a manner the Radical Rabbi would approve of & some get killed for it. examples Ghandi, MLK, John Lennon. Many who do live a life the Jesus of the book would approve of don't identify as Christians.

I think that religion is complete stupidity... but I still like to understand what people think and why.
I think it depends on the person. There are people who truly have been helped by religion, and I say great for those people. I wish them all the best. Not everyone has faith, and faith can be a great thing when it drives people to do good things in this world.

There are also people who have been hurt and disillusioned by religion. There are people who have murdered for their religion. Wars have been waged over religion. I was raised Catholic, and saw both the good and the bad that can happen. I saw people do wonderful things in the name of Catholicism, and I saw people do truly despicable things in the name of Catholicism.

I guess the beauty, or ugliness, is truly in the eyes of the beholder at times when it comes to religion in general.

I was raised Catholic. A great many things influenced my decision to stop practicing. I do believe in God, but seeing people treat others like shit because they lived their lives in a way they thought was unacceptable in their interpretation of the Catholic religion left a sour taste in my mouth when it came to Catholicism.

I can go into details later on if the conversation in the thread permits, or if anyone wants to talk privately.

Catholics and Orthodox vastly outnumber Protestants. In fact, mainstream Christian thought considers Protestants heretics.
If it is just a matter of numbers when it comes to what is a religion. Then may the force be with you.

Over 53,000 people listed themselves as Jedi in New Zealand's 2001 census

If it is just a matter of numbers when it comes to what is a religion. Then may the force be with you.

Over 53,000 people listed themselves as Jedi in New Zealand's 2001 census
I did that in the Irish census. I heard that if enough people wrote in a new religion, they had to include it as an option in the next one.

I did that in the Irish census. I heard that if enough people wrote in a new religion, they had to include it as an option in the next one.
With ours I think they have to get to at least a 1% threshold to be mentioned otherwise they are classed as other.

Statistics New Zealand also assigned Jedi an official code, but a spokeswoman said the resulting total was lumped in with The Church of Elvis and Rugby, Racing and Beer as "responses deemed outside the scope of recognised religions"

I think it depends on the person. There are people who truly have been helped by religion, and I say great for those people. I wish them all the best. Not everyone has faith, and faith can be a great thing when it drives people to do good things in this world.

There are also people who have been hurt and disillusioned by religion. There are people who have murdered for their religion. Wars have been waged over religion. I was raised Catholic, and saw both the good and the bad that can happen. I saw people do wonderful things in the name of Catholicism, and I saw people do truly despicable things in the name of Catholicism.

I guess the beauty, or ugliness, is truly in the eyes of the beholder at times when it comes to religion in general.

I was raised Catholic. A great many things influenced my decision to stop practicing. I do believe in God, but seeing people treat others like shit because they lived their lives in a way they thought was unacceptable in their interpretation of the Catholic religion left a sour taste in my mouth when it came to Catholicism.

I can go into details later on if the conversation in the thread permits, or if anyone wants to talk privately.
This is very true...
  • There are people who truly have been helped by religion, and I say great for those people.
  • There are also people who have been hurt and disillusioned by religion. There are people who have murdered for their religion. Wars have been waged over religion.
  • Not everyone has faith, and faith can be a great thing when it drives people to do good things in this world.

Who agrees with this?
I'd consider Catholics to still be Christian.

The Orthodoxies are the ones that make it hard to consider them Christian. They almost seem paganistic.

Who agrees with this?
They are all Christians.

Back
Top Bottom