• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is calling a girl "cute" offensive or demeaning?

Neither. This generation of females needs to stop being so stuck-up and inconsiderate. Take a ****ing compliment without conflict for ****'s sake (for once).

Saw an article on Facebook a couple weeks ago (sorry, no longer can find the link), and a young 20-ish girl said she hated it when people called her "cute". She said it was demeaning because it starts her off a rung lower on the respect scale and makes her work harder just to reach the same respect level as others. Her story has stuck with me, though, and I find the question intriguing.

She did say she feels the same whether it's from men or women, and she does get it from both, though she wasn't as put off if it were from someone she has known for quite some time. Take from that what you will.

Personally, I would not say it to someone I don't know, but I will make a value judgment* based on looks just because I am a heterosexual guy and like attractive women. One's attractiveness being another's ugly, of course.

*- I do believe that ALL people make initial first impression snap judgments, on everything they encounter in life, including people, and anyone who claims not so is a liar.

Why is it so easy to demean people now? Why is self esteem so fragile all of the sudden?

I use cute to define pets and kids. adults that have features we define as desirable are something other then "cute".

so I could see a young 20-something being offended by being considered cute.

I use cute to define pets and kids. adults that have features we define as desirable are something other then "cute".

True but being called sexy may be more offending

I'd never call her cute. I couldn't get past her dickhead personality far enough to make a comment on her appearance.

There you go! You have figured out what to call her instead of "cute".

Not me, I use cute to describe things that are cute and sometimes adults are.

I don't know why anybody would allow others to offend them with such benign words.

I like being called cute. I'm not offended when a guy compliments my looks (not that that happens much).

ISaw an article on Facebook a couple weeks ago (sorry, no longer can find the link), and a young 20-ish girl said she hated it when people called her "cute". She said it was demeaning because it starts her off a rung lower on the respect scale and makes her work harder just to reach the same respect level as others. Her story has stuck with me, though, and I find the question intriguing.
It's probably just that girl, and I would guess that is the case because I hate the word "adorable."

The reason being that when I was dating, I got called that word by every single person that took an interest in me. It drove me nuts. Enough so that I specifically started asking that people not refer to me as that. Not that there's anything wrong with being "adorable" or attractive. Just by the 100th time it gets rather old.

So my guess would be that this girl gets called "cute" more often than normal and it's starting to drive her nuts too.

Girl wants to be judged on her actions and skills rather than her looks. WHAT A ****ING BITCH FEMINAZI.

Maybe she means she wants the same admiration for her intelligence and culture.Men usually dont pay attention the personality in women or they more care about beauty ,her complaints may be about it

For someone to admire her intelligence they have to get to know her a bit though. First impression is based on what you see.
Some women get a little insulted by 'cute' though. as it sounds juvenile and a compliment for girls. they would rather be called pretty. at least when talking about the looks. maybe there is some of that going on.

It's probably just that girl, and I would guess that is the case because I hate the word "adorable."

The reason being that when I was dating, I got called that word by every single person that took an interest in me. It drove me nuts. Enough so that I specifically started asking that people not refer to me as that. Not that there's anything wrong with being "adorable" or attractive. Just by the 100th time it gets rather old.

So my guess would be that this girl gets called "cute" more often than normal and it's starting to drive her nuts too.

Since I was about 15 years old, I've been asked if I play football. (i am very tall) when I was younger it bothered me, but everybody asks me how tall I am and why I don't play football. The only people that irritate me now are the people that say "you could have been great." To which I reply I don't need football to make me great. Usually ends the conversation.

For someone to admire her intelligence they have to get to know her a bit though. First impression is based on what you see.
Some women get a little insulted by 'cute' though. as it sounds juvenile and a compliment for girls. they would rather be called pretty. at least when talking about the looks. maybe there is some of that going on.
See, I find idiosyncrasies "cute" or the way my best friend described the cheese goo in a pizza hut stuffed crust.

Appearances that make me think cute are puppies kittens and children.

There you go! You have figured out what to call her instead of "cute".

It marginally suits her preference to not be called cute, anyway. I'd suggest she publish a short list of descriptives she'll accept.

I agree with this sentiment. Cute is for puppies, kittens, babies, and clothes.

I have never told a female that she was cute. Bodacious maybe, but not cute.

Saw an article on Facebook a couple weeks ago (sorry, no longer can find the link), and a young 20-ish girl said she hated it when people called her "cute". She said it was demeaning because it starts her off a rung lower on the respect scale and makes her work harder just to reach the same respect level as others. Her story has stuck with me, though, and I find the question intriguing.

She did say she feels the same whether it's from men or women, and she does get it from both, though she wasn't as put off if it were from someone she has known for quite some time. Take from that what you will.

Personally, I would not say it to someone I don't know, but I will make a value judgment* based on looks just because I am a heterosexual guy and like attractive women. One's attractiveness being another's ugly, of course.

*- I do believe that ALL people make initial first impression snap judgments, on everything they encounter in life, including people, and anyone who claims not so is a liar.

Since when has the word cute been anything but a compliment?

How could it lower her status in any way?

If it's meant to be a compliment or said in a positive manner, it's not an insult or demeaning.

Some women are too sensitive and need to grow a pair.

There are women with childish looking faces that are cute but will never be gorgeous.

I would think she should take the compliment because that person is already being positive towards her and use it to her advantage.

There are women with childish looking faces that are cute but will never be gorgeous.

I would think she should take the compliment because that person is already being positive towards her and use it to her advantage.
Completely agree. In many ways, "cute" is better. Just my opinion.

cute ... :lamo

obviously she isn't and unfortunately allows outside influences to determine how she feels about herself...no one can lower another on the ladder, that is self determined

I can see how it could be seen as demeaning in a certain way. Cute can be used as a write-off, *someone is upset about something and you don't care that they are* "Aren't you cute?"

It's a very broad word, that has many flavors. Cute has a certain connotation of attractiveness that different (to me at least). You wouldn't call Angelina Jolie cute but something like hot. Cute would be someone who is attractive but gives off a vibe that seems more innocent.

At least, that's how I see it.

Re: Is calling a girl "cute" offensive or demeaning?

How the **** would anybody find the term "cute" offensive or demeaning to them?

A Social Justice Whiner perhaps.
Those ****ers find "offense" in everything these days.

My stereotype of extremely attractive women is they're stuck up and narcissistic until proven otherwise. And if they're Gen Y'ers, they're spoiled brats--and dumb, too. Geez louise, are they dumb! Can't help it, but I'm more comfortable dealing with the "fat," "homely," or downright "ugly" ones because they seem to be better grounded and not so full of themselves. And more intelligent, too. Or maybe the pretty ones just act stupid. I don't know.

You've obviously never heard of the fat, stupid and obnoxious SJW nicknamed "TrigglyPuff".

Back
Top Bottom