• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Bush a "lame duck?"

Has George Bush become a "lame duck" President?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • No.

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I always said that they ought to make it a national holiday the day George Bush becomes a "lame duck" President. Has that day arrived? Are Senate and House Republicans now starting to distance themselves from him and not put priority on is programs? Is Congress now steering the ship with mid-term elections coming up?

Billo_Really said:
I always said that they ought to make it a national holiday the day George Bush becomes a "lame duck" President. Has that day arrived? Are Senate and House Republicans now starting to distance themselves from him and not put priority on is programs? Is Congress now steering the ship with mid-term elections coming up?
I don`t think he is quite yet. Another year maybe.

Billo_Really said:

He's done. I love it--in a little over a year from his winning re-election, he is a lame lame lame duck. The poor thing.

Hey, Georgie boy, where is your mandate? Where is that political capital you earned? :lol: :lol:

so much for that "political capital" he intends to "spend"

Billo_Really said:
I don't know personally, I'm sure if we went through all of the presidents their would be something that would make them a "Lame Duck" President. Bill, I really have to give it to the Democrats for getting ready for the next election. Lets just say, let the parties play their cards, and I will keep calling their bluffs. Its nothing against Democrats or Republicans, I just think those two group play us all for fools. :doh

Depends on which definition you're attributing to him:

Main Entry: lame duck
Function: noun

1 : one that is weak or that falls behind in ability or achievement; especially chiefly British : an ailing company
No. He still has political clout and a majority of congress to support his decisions.

2 : an elected official or group continuing to hold political office during the period between the election and the inauguration of a successor

Yes

3 : one whose position or term of office will soon end

Almost 3 years left. Comparably soon considering it's been over 5 years with him.

So, a no, a yes and a kind of.

"Lame Duck" is just a label, but certainly Bush doesn't have the lockstep support of the GOP anymore, which is good for us all. With Bush's approval ratings at an all time low, Bush can no longer bully the other members of his party into submission.

Bush blew his "political capital" on privatizing social security, and has yet to rebound. Schiavo, Katrina, Dubai,the $8 trillion debt, failure to capture OBL, and the Iraqi war have just made things worse. He's been in "lame duck" territory since the summer of '04.

Just what has he done at all that has been productive? Nothing.

What's the one thing he has focused on, security. So this begs the question: "Is the US more secure?"
Doesn't seem so.

I voted no..........Getting 2 conservative justices confirmed to the SCOTUS if nothing else vetoes that idea.......

Sadly, the only thing he can do is nominate SC justices at this point, the press, the world will not allow Bush to look good on any issue. Everytime something good happens in the country, it is bombarded with a distracting, overwhelming bad, it's just over for this president.

I just don't see what he can do to approve this admin. over all reputation, he could bring the troops home though, and I think it's time.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=lame duck

lame duck
n.

An elected officeholder or group continuing in office during the period between failure to win an election and the inauguration of a successor.

An officeholder who has chosen not to run for reelection or is ineligible for reelection.
An ineffective person; a weakling.

I don't think he would fit any of these descriptions.

Navy Pride said:
I voted no..........Getting 2 conservative justices confirmed to the SCOTUS if nothing else vetoes that idea.......

NP - One justice died, the other retired, all branches of government are controlled by the GOP, and don't forget about the incredibly inadequate nomination of Harriet Miers. It's hardly a BFD that he got 2 in. I will say that having 2 SCOTUS justices confirmed on his watch will probably go down in history as Bush's biggest "accomplishment." Either that or not splashing the oval office in man juice.

SixStringHero said:

lame duck
n.

An elected officeholder or group continuing in office during the period between failure to win an election and the inauguration of a successor.

An officeholder who has chosen not to run for reelection or is ineligible for reelection.
An ineffective person; a weakling.

I don't think he would fit any of these descriptions.

Sometimes words have more than one meaning. If you click your link and look down at definition #2 (it's right below #1) you'll see this.

Sorry you missed it.
Make_This_Chicken_Hawk_A_Lame_Duck_funny_anti-Bush_picture.jpg

I think the entire mantle/title of 'Lame Duck' is BS and an excuse for anyone who does not want to work with a President. Bush is no less the President today than he was on day 37 of his 1st term in office. He is no less the President of the United States or the Commander in Chief than he was his very 1st day inofficial office.

For the GOP in congress and the senate, he is the leader of the party and the party's President. It is shameful for them to demonstrate such a lack of loyalty by turning on the president because they are worried about his poll numbers and their re-election coming up. This UAE Port deal is a perfect example of creating public hysteria over almost nothing and throwing Bush under the bus in order to say to the American voters, "He may not care about National Security, but I do!" What a crock of cr@p!

Originally posted by easyt65
I think the entire mantle/title of 'Lame Duck' is BS and an excuse for anyone who does not want to work with a President. Bush is no less the President today than he was on day 37 of his 1st term in office. He is no less the President of the United States or the Commander in Chief than he was his very 1st day inofficial office.

For the GOP in congress and the senate, he is the leader of the party and the party's President. It is shameful for them to demonstrate such a lack of loyalty by turning on the president because they are worried about his poll numbers and their re-election coming up. This UAE Port deal is a perfect example of creating public hysteria over almost nothing and throwing Bush under the bus in order to say to the American voters, "He may not care about National Security, but I do!" What a crock of cr@p!
It's interesting how many people are loyal to Bush, but has the latest Katrina video has shown, he is not loyal to them.

Sorry, Hippster, but I’m gonna have to disagree with you.
To me, not spattering the Oval Office with baby batter is the single greatest abuse of office any president could possibly make… I mean, what’s the point of working your way up to alpha-male, the most powerful position in the world any man could hope to achieve, and not capitalizing on the mating opportunities?!? :confused: It's just wrong, and it goes against millions of years of evolution.

Befuddled_Stoner said:
Sorry, Hippster, but I’m gonna have to disagree with you.
To me, not spattering the Oval Office with baby batter is the single greatest abuse of office any president could possibly make… I mean, what’s the point of working your way up to alpha-male, the most powerful position in the world any man could hope to achieve, and not capitalizing on the mating opportunities?!? :confused: It's just wrong, and it goes against millions of years of evolution.

After further review - I stand corrected. :rofl

hipsterdufus said:
NP - One justice died, the other retired, all branches of government are controlled by the GOP, and don't forget about the incredibly inadequate nomination of Harriet Miers. It's hardly a BFD that he got 2 in. I will say that having 2 SCOTUS justices confirmed on his watch will probably go down in history as Bush's biggest "accomplishment." Either that or not splashing the oval office in man juice.

hips, did you ever ask yourself why all branches of government all controlled by Republicans?

Billo_Really said:
It's interesting how many people are loyal to Bush, but has the latest Katrina video has shown, he is not loyal to them.
And why Billo_Really do you care about a Chocolate City? No I'm talking about Willy Wanka's Chocolate Factory neither! :rofl

By definition no...

and still no.. no matter how you spin it, most americans still support him on the wiretapping thing....

he got two people on the SC....

some of you say he has a low approval rating, but what are the approval rating for democrats?

Originally posted by stsburns:
And why Billo_Really do you care about a Chocolate City? No I'm talking about Willy Wanka's Chocolate Factory neither!
I have no clue as to what your talking about.

Billo_Really said:
Your spin and bag of lies regarding the video doesn't make it so, billo. As usual, your hate is way out in front of your logic.

If I had been president and someone told me the levees wouldn't hold a category 4 storm and then they, indeed, broke 3 days later, I would have made the same remark as Bush. No one could have anticipated that happening. Unless of course, billo, you think he should have done something in those 3 days to prevent it.

Originally posted by KCConservative:
Your spin and bag of lies regarding the video doesn't make it so, billo. As usual, your hate is way out in front of your logic.

If I had been president and someone told me the levees wouldn't hold a category 4 storm and then they, indeed, broke 3 days later, I would have made the same remark as Bush. No one could have anticipated that happening. Unless of course, billo, you think he should have done something in those 3 days to prevent it.
When you look back on the last 5 years you will see a President hell bent on destroying this country so multi-national corporations will have good news to tell their stockholders. You will see a President that is not loyal to the country that elected him. This video showed proof that he doesn't care. The Dubai port deal showed he doesn't care. When are you going to stop defending him and start acting like an American citizen?

Billo_Really said:
When you look back on the last 5 years you will see a President hell bent on destroying this country so multi-national corporations will have good news to tell their stockholders. You will see a President that is not loyal to the country that elected him. This video showed proof that he doesn't care. The Dubai port deal showed he doesn't care. When are you going to stop defending him and start acting like an American citizen?

That's what the video showed you, billo. You want to see reasons to hate. I understand. But you throw around opinion like it's the Holy Grail. "destroying the country", "not loyal", "doesn't care". These remarks don't mean anything except to those spewing it. I heard what he said about the breach of the levees and I understood exactly what he meant. Until it happened, no one could have anticipated it. Hey, if it proves something, as you say, why isn't he impeached or in jail? Hell, for that matter, you have had dozens and dozens of trumped up scandals with which to "get him." Have you ever asked yourself why they all go down in flames? You choose not to because it furthers your hatred.

Originally posted by KCConservative:
That's what the video showed you, billo. You want to see reasons to hate. I understand. But you throw around opinion like it's the Holy Grail. "destroying the country", "not loyal", "doesn't care". These remarks don't mean anything except to those spewing it. I heard what he said about the breach of the levees and I understood exactly what he meant. Until it happened, no one could have anticipated it. Hey, if it proves something, as you say, why isn't he impeached or in jail? Hell, for that matter, you have had dozens and dozens of trumped up scandals with which to "get him." Have you ever asked yourself why they all go down in flames? You choose not to because it furthers your hatred.
"Hate" is your word. I never said I hated Bush. I object to his job performance. And I have every right to say something about it. As far as the "charges", their not trumped up. They are very real. But nothing is done about it because Congress is loyal to the same corporations Bush is and the American people are too stupid to care. Were more concerned about what's happening with Nick and Jessica.

Back
Top Bottom