• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is boy, 14, the youngest person ever to be killed by an NYPD cop?

Captain America

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The shooting of a 14-year-old boy Sunday by a rookie police officer has shocked New York City. The police commissioner concedes that the teen may be the youngest person ever killed by the NYPD.
Despite the tragic young age of Shaaliver Douse, Ray Kelly was quick to defend the white 26-year-old officer, who just graduated from the police academy last month.
Kelly said the teen had fired multiple rounds and was chasing someone through the streets of the Bronx about 3am Sunday.

When two officers confronted him, he refused to drop the pistol and pointed it at them, the Commissioner said at a press conference Sunday evening.

The officer fired a single round from his 9mm service pistol, striking Shaaliver in the jaw and killing him. <snip>

Textbook case of a justified shooting it appears. How long until the apologists chime in blaming the cops for shooting this "poor little boy?"

Read more: Shaaliver Douse: NYPD cop shoots dead boy, 14, after he points gun at officers | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If the kid was wielding and shooting a gun in the streets, then I see no reason to place blame on the cop.

The shooting of a 14-year-old boy Sunday by a rookie police officer has shocked New York City. The police commissioner concedes that the teen may be the youngest person ever killed by the NYPD.
Despite the tragic young age of Shaaliver Douse, Ray Kelly was quick to defend the white 26-year-old officer, who just graduated from the police academy last month.
Kelly said the teen had fired multiple rounds and was chasing someone through the streets of the Bronx about 3am Sunday.

When two officers confronted him, he refused to drop the pistol and pointed it at them, the Commissioner said at a press conference Sunday evening.

The officer fired a single round from his 9mm service pistol, striking Shaaliver in the jaw and killing him. <snip>

Textbook case of a justified shooting it appears. How long until the apologists chime in blaming the cops for shooting this "poor little boy?"

Read more: Shaaliver Douse: NYPD cop shoots dead boy, 14, after he points gun at officers | Mail Online

Personally, I think the police department hierarchy has to take a harder stance when something like this happens. Speak from their heart instead of from their political playbook. Let me write the Chief's interview with the press:

Our entire police department expresses sincere condolences to this young man's family. It is tragic that we live in a world where a 14-year-old is on the streets at 3 AM in the morning with an illegal gun chasing down another citizen and firing on him. His failure to obey police officers at the scene who ordered him to drop his weapon were met with his firing another shot. This is tragic -- for this teen's family and for the police officer who was forced to shoot.

I was very surprised to learn that the two police officers on scene were rookies. I thought newbies were paired with experienced cops.

If the kid was wielding and shooting a gun in the streets, then I see no reason to place blame on the cop.

Rest assured, there will be some that do. They are enablers. As long as they continue to make excuses and try to divert blame in their denial, the cycle continues.

Look, there's one on CNN now saying how a 14 year old boy has been needlessly shot down. She, and other mother's like her, (father's too, where applicable,) assure many more children will cross that lethal line. Never the child's fault. It's beyond sad. It's pathetic.

Last edited:

I don't think he is the youngest. I spent part of my youth growing up in NYC. I seem to recall a story about a very young boy with a toy water pistol being shot by a cop way back when. I think it was in NYC...might have been L.A. though. :confused:

Open and shut.

Only one in denial is the family.

The problem is parents. Back when I was in school for example if I was punished by a teacher (spanking, etc.) and they found out I would get it twice as hard when I got home. Now-a-days, lay a finger on a student and you get lawsuits up the wazoo. Same exact thing here, keep your kid off the street at 3am with a gun and shooting at people then you don't have to worry about him getting shot. If the parents (or anybody) try to blame this officer that is totally out of line.

There shouldn't be any city wide police; they're a menace to society. Individuals and neighborhoods armed w/guns can protect themselves.

What evidence is there that the "kid was wielding and shooting a gun in the streets" ?

There shouldn't be any city wide police; they're a menace to society. Individuals and neighborhoods armed w/guns can protect themselves.

I agree, disband all police depts, sheriffs offices, Federal LE angencies. Let society sort them out, one bullet at a time.

What evidence is there that the "kid was wielding and shooting a gun in the streets" ?

Iam sure he was not. I am sure he had just gotten up to help mom by going to the corner store to get milk for the baby.
White rookie cop has been fantasizing for decades about what it would be like to excecute a black kid on the street and call it a shoot out.

Moderator's Warning:
Things that should stop now: Posters obviously attempting to troll

I don't think he is the youngest. I spent part of my youth growing up in NYC. I seem to recall a story about a very young boy with a toy water pistol being shot by a cop way back when. I think it was in NYC...might have been L.A. though. :confused:

I think that was in the late 80's and was the driving force for making toy guns less realistic: colored barrel caps, etc

According to what I have seen the cop did the right thing. The kid was shooting a gun on a street. I do not know if it is the youngest ever to be shot. It is unfortunate, and I hope the cop doesn't have many problems because of it. I don't know why they keep stressing the rookie part of it. There is video of the kid shooting pretty erratically before the incident right in the middle of the city street where anyone can be hit. He is clearly not defending himself. He is just shooting. After seeing all of that i am pretty cool with accepting that when the cop got there the kid gave him no choice but to use deadly force. They should investigate and make sure everything is right, but some people need a good killing.

I think that was LA in hte mid 80's. I was living out there then. Cop came around a dark corner and saw a handgun IIRC. I just watched this story on CNN. If things are as they appear in the story, the police had to shoot.
I think that was in the late 80's and was the driving force for making toy guns less realistic: colored barrel caps, etc

The difference between a person and an idiot:

The person sees "wielding a gun". The idiot sees "kid".

And if you are truly enlightened you see a kid with a gun.
The difference between a person and an idiot:

The person sees "wielding a gun". The idiot sees "kid".

I have always thought all responsible adults in America should be properly trained and encouraged to carry a firearm. It has come to my attention the last year or so, if there was a way to measure it, I would like there to me one further requirement. At least a little respect for human life. Just a little.
Hardly. If you see a "kid", you're an ideologue.

I have always thought all responsible adults in America should be properly trained and encouraged to carry a firearm. It has come to my attention the last year or so, if there was a way to measure it, I would like there to me one further requirement. At least a little respect for human life. Just a little.

So your "respect for human life" includes not diffusing a situation where someone is aiming a loaded pistol at someone? Tell you what - let's both have firearms, loaded and cocked. I'll point mine at you, and you give me some self-absorbed, philosophical lecture. See who comes out on top.

I am all for killing someone while it is still self defense. What bothers me is the totally John Wayne, immature, cavalier BS attitude the RWers are babbling about killing people. A damn 14 year old kid gets killed, and I agree from what I seen on CNN he had to be shot, and you tell someone who is merely trying to remind people about situatinal awareness when someone has to be shot, an ideologue. I hope you dont have a firearm.
So your "respect for human life" includes not diffusing a situation where someone is aiming a loaded pistol at someone? Tell you what - let's both have firearms, loaded and cocked. I'll point mine at you, and you give me some self-absorbed, philosophical lecture. See who comes out on top.

Back
Top Bottom