• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Bill Nye saying that race-based programs...

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Is Bill Nye saying that race-based programs (i.e. Affirmative Action, etc.) should be eliminated because race doesn't exist?
fb - nye.jpg

Is Bill Nye saying that race-based programs (i.e. Affirmative Action, etc.) should be eliminated because race doesn't exist?

I feel like you're reading too much into it.

View attachment 67201921

I didn't see that at all.

It really doesn't matter if we're not biologically different races. our society, well not just our society, nearly all of the societies on this planet, treat each other as though we are, it is certainly a social construct that operates sometimes to the detriment of different groups of people in scientifically identifiable ways.

View attachment 67201921

Science doesnt recognize race (it has no biological basis, its purely cultural) so I would agree with him.

I didn't see that at all.

It really doesn't matter if we're not biologically different races. our society, well not just our society, nearly all of the societies on this planet, treat each other as though we are, it is certainly a social construct that operates sometimes to the detriment of different groups of people in scientifically identifiable ways.

I agree that it doesn't matter but to make the claim the difference doesnt exist is moronic.

I agree that it doesn't matter but to make the claim the difference doesnt exist is moronic.

No it's not, we're biologically the same

Except for all those diseases and conditions that have a much higher prevalence in one race or another.

Are Celts a race? Because we're 'way more prone to alcoholism than the general population.

View attachment 67201921

Nothing even remotely like that. He is saying there is no scientific basis for race. That is it. Since we have a social construct called race, then we can and for the foreseeable future will treat races as something different. It should probably be further pointed out that affirmative action is not based on some innate difference between races, but on the belief that socially, some races have more opportunity than others. Nye is saying nothing to address that aspect of race. So coming from either direction, his comments do not fit.

I don't think anyone claimed that there are no differences between different people, only that the notion of race as we understand it does not correspond to any scientifically valid or useful distinctions. Because we need to identify each other easily, humans became very good at recognising even tiny differences in faces, bodies, voices and mannerisms, even within ethnically homogenous groups; so the more obvious differences in skin colour, facial features and so on seem to be vast distinctions to us. But in reality those differences account for only about 0.01% of our genes, and they do not correspond to any other meaningful variations. If I read this study correctly (Tishkoff et al, The Genetic Structure and History of Africans and African Americans; Science 2009 - pdf), there is as much genetic diversity within India as there is in Central Asia, the Middle East and Europe combined (figure 3). More startlingly, there's more genetic diversity within Africa than in the rest of the world combined.

In other words if you imagine there to be an indigenous Oceanic race and a native American race, in terms of actual genetic diversity you'd then need to say that there are 3-5 east Asian 'races,' 6-10 Indian 'races,' and over 30 African races!

RaceGenes.jpg

Since that obviously bears no resemblance whatsoever to how the term 'race' has been and is used, it's much simpler and more accurate to say that the concept of race has no scientific merit.

Last edited:
View attachment 67201921

Race among humans exists but to a lesser extent than breed among dogs exists. When one sees a person (or a dog) then they are apt to make judgements based (only?) on differences in physical appearance. One is not considered a racist (breedist?) for reacting differently to a Rottweiler than to a Beagle. If racism exists among humans then surely race among humans must also exist.

IMO, the distinction many wish to make and legislate is, mistakenly, the color of one's skin or ethnicity but not the actual cause of the indigence. Culture is the heavy burden on many Americans.

IMO, African-Americans don't deserve special treatment or quotas for being at a disadvantage but those who think race hustlers like Sharpton are heroes are certainly at a disadvantage.

Last edited:
View attachment 67201921

no he is saying they shouldn't be necessary because race doesn't truly exist it is a man made concept based on the need to form tribes

not a bad thing for basic survival but not a good thing when one should have moved beyond that

IMO, the distinction many wish to make and legislate is, mistakenly, the color of one's skin or ethnicity but not the actual cause of the indigence. Culture is the heavy burden on many Americans.

IMO, African-Americans don't deserve special treatment or quotas for being at a disadvantage but those who think race hustlers like Sharpton are heroes are certainly at a disadvantage.
This is not directed at you specifically, but is a generic reaction: I hate when people say things like this. I'm sorry, but things like cultural biases are a human condition and are pervasive the entire world over, and throughout the course of history. It's not relegated to just the big bad ignorant Americans.

This is not directed at you specifically, but is a generic reaction: I hate when people say things like this. I'm sorry, but things like cultural biases are a human condition and are pervasive the entire world over, and throughout the course of history. It's not relegated to just the big bad ignorant Americans.
If I wished to help the plight of African-Americans, my first suggestion would be to fix their culture.

Paraprhrasing Justice Roberts: The way to stop racial discrimination is to stop racial discrimination.

Any " program" based on race is discrimination, too bad democrats fail to see it .

Race biologically exists and the assertion that it does not is so absurd it could only be believed by politically-motivated (Western) scientists.

The human races have evolved to adapt to their respective climates and each race's genetic makeup varies (as do their skulls, even skeletons), corresponding to different distributions of traits like intelligence, height and so on.

The argument that because all humans share most of each other's DNA, that there exists no races, is manifestly absurd. We also share 98%+ DNA with lower apes, like chimps. Minuscule difference in DNA, which is a complex acid after all, does not effect outcomes linearly. The presence of even one unique gene found in one population and not another could shape how that population develops and how its society differs from the other's.

There exists a test, called DNAWitness, which can identify one's race through analysis of one's genome. It's absolutely fascinating.

Chinese researchers at the Beijing Genomics Institute are nearing in on identifying specific alleles for traits like intelligence, and they've already shown how different archaic humaoids throughout the world have influenced disparate modern populations. For example it was shown all non-African, Eurasian populations share DNA with Neanderthals and that Europeans have inherited anthropometric features from Cromagnon man.

Such research is suppressed in the West, so look Eastward for developments in this field.

Race biologically exists and the assertion that it does not is so absurd it could only be believed by politically-motivated (Western) scientists.

Being so knowledgeable on the topic, perhaps you could help enlighten me with regards to post #13?

I don't think anyone claimed that there are no differences between different people, only that the notion of race as we understand it does not correspond to any scientifically valid or useful distinctions. Because we need to identify each other easily, humans became very good at recognising even tiny differences in faces, bodies, voices and mannerisms, even within ethnically homogenous groups; so the more obvious differences in skin colour, facial features and so on seem to be vast distinctions to us. But in reality those differences account for only about 0.01% of our genes, and they do not correspond to any other meaningful variations. If I read this study correctly (Tishkoff et al, The Genetic Structure and History of Africans and African Americans; Science 2009 - pdf), there is as much genetic diversity within India as there is in Central Asia, the Middle East and Europe combined (figure 3). More startlingly, there's more genetic diversity within Africa than in the rest of the world combined.

In other words if you imagine there to be an indigenous Oceanic race and a native American race, in terms of actual genetic diversity you'd then need to say that there are 3-5 east Asian 'races,' 6-10 Indian 'races,' and over 30 African races!

Since that obviously bears no resemblance whatsoever to how the term 'race' has been and is used, it's much simpler and more accurate to say that the concept of race has no scientific merit.

The human races have evolved to adapt to their respective climates and each race's genetic makeup varies (as do their skulls, even skeletons), corresponding to different distributions of traits like intelligence, height and so on.

The argument that because all humans share most of each other's DNA, that there exists no races, is manifestly absurd. We also share 98%+ DNA with lower apes, like chimps. Minuscule difference in DNA, which is a complex acid after all, does not effect outcomes linearly. The presence of even one unique gene found in one population and not another could shape how that population develops and how its society differs from the other's.

There exists a test, called DNAWitness, which can identify one's race through analysis of one's genome. It's absolutely fascinating.

Chinese researchers at the Beijing Genomics Institute are nearing in on identifying specific alleles for traits like intelligence, and they've already shown how different archaic humaoids throughout the world have influenced disparate modern populations. For example it was shown all non-African, Eurasian populations share DNA with Neanderthals and that Europeans have inherited anthropometric features from Cromagnon man.

Such research is suppressed in the West, so look Eastward for developments in this field.

Um...DNAWitness's owning company went out of business(odd that, huh?). Genetically, race does not really exist. You can backwards guess based on regional differences, but it is far from accurate and not an actual genetic test for race.

View attachment 67201921

There is no requirement that leftists be coherent in thought. In fact these "gravity is a social construct" type ideas tend to require incoherence.

Um...DNAWitness's owning company went out of business(odd that, huh?). Genetically, race does not really exist. You can backwards guess based on regional differences, but it is far from accurate and not an actual genetic test for race.

Exactly. All humans regardless of ethnicity share the exact same set of genes. The only differences between us is characteristics (of which are not unique in any "race") and melanin count.

Back
Top Bottom