• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Biden Afraid of Putin?

Is Joe Biden afraid to escalate the war in Ukraine to the point that he gives Putin too much leeway?

• Total voters
Lovely......but it won't matter one iota to Fox viewers.
They got their white christian values needing protection, "god, guns, 'n gays" never goes out of style.

How much avoidable bloodshed are "persecuted white christian victims," defending their "values," responsible for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*****_Riot
"..The group's actions were condemned as sacrilegious by the Orthodox clergy and eventually stopped by church security officials. The women said their protest was directed at the Orthodox Church leaders' support for Putin during his election campaign. On March 3, 2012, two of the group's members, ... were arrested and charged with hooliganism. A third member, Yekaterina Samutsevich, was arrested on March 16....The sentences of the other two women were upheld..."

Russian Orthodox Church Leader Blames Invasion on Ukraine's​

https://www.newsweek.com › ... › Multicultural

6 days ago — Patriarch Kirill said on Sunday that gay pride parades are an embrace of Western values that will lead to the end of civilization.

Franklin Graham | GLAAD​

https://www.glaad.org › gap › franklin-graham

—Met with Putin in 2015, and praised him for “protecting Russian young people against homosexual propaganda.” Falsely claimed "homosexuals cannot have children, ...

Some Christian Pro-Family Groups Face Reckoning Over ...​

https://ministrywatch.com › franklin-graham-and-pro-f...

Feb 24, 2022 — Over the last eight years, Franklin Graham has had private meetings with Putin and members of his inner circle, including Vyacheslav Volodin, ...

'44 got uppity, justifying '45 to "get to play by very different rules". They missed the part about '44's and '46's support being
"coalitions of the rest of us."

One of 53 appeals court nominees was Hispanic, none are black

Trump Nears Post-Nixon First: No Black Circuit Judges​

https://news.bloomberglaw.com › us-law-week › no-bla...

Jun 25, 2020 — "Trump appointed one Hispanic and zero Black appeals court judges ... 53 confirmed appeals court judges is Hispanic and none are Black..."

Imagine the whitelash if Obama had actually been, "uppity," attempting to make up for 220 years of white christian male persecution in just one term as POTUS...

"...Is there any merit to such criticisms? Do media and racial polarization reinforce each other? Is there a connection between news media viewing habits and attitudes about racial equality? Based on an analysis of the American National Election Studies 2012 dataset, we find that white respondents who regularly watch Fox News are more likely to express attitudes of symbolic racism and racial resentment. This is especially true of those Fox News viewers who live in the South.

One common expression of racial resentment is the stereotype that black people have disproportionate influence over the levers of power. Though people of color are far more likely to live under an unrepresentative city council and have far less influence over policy, many racist whites wrongly think that government disproportionately benefits non-whites through social programs.

Our analysis suggests that regular Fox News viewers are more likely to hold such opinions, even after controlling for other factors such as individual race, age, income, education, partisanship, ideology, religiosity and geography. In the graph below, we compare conservative white Republicans who watch Fox News regularly to those who do not. The results show that regular Fox News viewers are significantly more likely to think that blacks have too much political influence. ."

Putin as a cynical but ultimately rational actor is a public image that he crafted himself, but the fact is that he’s completely deranged. You cite Iran and North Korea, but neither of them have come anything close to the brink that Putin is bringing us ever closer to right now.
Do you really think that N Korea and Iran are more stable with nukes than Putin? I don't believe the intel agencies believe that. Kim starves his people and Iran are religious fanatics. Russia has many options before deploying a MAD scenario and instigating Armegeddon.

Do you really think that N Korea and Iran are more stable with nukes than Putin? I don't believe the intel agencies believe that. Kim starves his people and Iran are religious fanatics. Russia has many options before deploying a MAD scenario and instigating Armegeddon.
What I think is that, ultimately, despots are all the same. They're rational in the crudest sense of the term, but are not rational in the way that Western/democratic leaders are. Despots are bad at everything because their egos are more important than everything else and therefore the needs of everybody underneath them are subjugated to that ego. Although I admit that my understanding of Iran's leadership is fuzzier than others, it's a pattern we see with Kim Jong Un, Putin and indeed Trump. They're not suicidal, but because they are the centers of their universes, they can much more easily arrive at the conclusion that extraordinary measures can be justified based on the circumstances, and that describes Putin and Un to a tee.

Before you insist that Putin is rational, fully absorb the fact that he has undone thirty years of economic development in the space of a week, and has shown zero signs of reversing himself. This is not rational As for "Kim starves his own people," also absorb the fact that Putin is in the process of imprisoning thousands of people for protesting, calling the invasion a "war," and is in the process of targeting civilians in Ukraine.

As for "MAD," it's fully likely that Putin can envision the deployment of nuclear weapons that need not necessarily result in MAD. He's clearly wrong to thinking this, but he does think it.

War time is a time to rally behind the tribes leader. Of course that would be patriotic. Trumpism only mouths patriotism as it serves to destroy democracy.
LOL America is not at war, comrade. But since you hate free speech so much why not move to Russia? I'm sure they'll appreciate your love of tyranny over there.

no one is afraid of Putin but everyone is afraid he is trying to start WIII............Putin is playing his Hitler card betting the rest of the world will allow him to conquer Ukraine.......China is watching closely aa they have always wanted to take Taiwan back.......if China decides to side with Putin then Biden and the rest of the free world as we know it will have to decide.......do they want freedom as defined in our Constitution or do they want 'freedom' as is known today in Russia and China......there are billions of Chinese and Russians who have never had life as good as they have it today......even with living in a dictatorship......

today the US and Europe and the free world import roughly half of what we consume from China and/or SE Asian nations.....this alone is enough reason, if the world were thrown into world war, to create a decades long disruption of life.....and we have no one to blame but ourselves

What do you think?
No, not afraid. Just being cautious as Russia has the ability to destroy the whole world many times over. I think it’s a huge mistake to look at Putin, Russia as we would an Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Bosnia, or any of these other countries who didn’t have Russia’s nuclear capability. There’s also the big difference is the Ukraine sits on Russia’s border.

The only thing I fairly sure of is if NATO and the U.S. would have abided by the G.H.W. Bush and Gorbachev agreement over the peaceful unification of Germany, we wouldn’t be in this situation today. I say fairly sure as no one can be completely sure as NATO and the U.S. didn’t abide by it. That never happened and is but a what if question which is impossible to prove one way or another.

No, not afraid. Just being cautious as Russia has the ability to destroy the whole world many times over. I think it’s a huge mistake to look at Putin, Russia as we would an Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Bosnia, or any of these other countries who didn’t have Russia’s nuclear capability. There’s also the big difference is the Ukraine sits on Russia’s border.

The only thing I fairly sure of is if NATO and the U.S. would have abided by the G.H.W. Bush and Gorbachev agreement over the peaceful unification of Germany, we wouldn’t be in this situation today. I say fairly sure as no one can be completely sure as NATO and the U.S. didn’t abide by it. That never happened and is but a what if question which is impossible to prove one way or another.
well yes except the German people had the final say and ultimately the unification turned out to be peaceful for the most part

What I think is that, ultimately, despots are all the same. They're rational in the crudest sense of the term, but are not rational in the way that Western/democratic leaders are. Despots are bad at everything because their egos are more important than everything else and therefore the needs of everybody underneath them are subjugated to that ego. Although I admit that my understanding of Iran's leadership is fuzzier than others, it's a pattern we see with Kim Jong Un, Putin and indeed Trump. They're not suicidal, but because they are the centers of their universes, they can much more easily arrive at the conclusion that extraordinary measures can be justified based on the circumstances, and that describes Putin and Un to a tee.

Before you insist that Putin is rational, fully absorb the fact that he has undone thirty years of economic development in the space of a week, and has shown zero signs of reversing himself. This is not rational As for "Kim starves his own people," also absorb the fact that Putin is in the process of imprisoning thousands of people for protesting, calling the invasion a "war," and is in the process of targeting civilians in Ukraine.

As for "MAD," it's fully likely that Putin can envision the deployment of nuclear weapons that need not necessarily result in MAD. He's clearly wrong to thinking this, but he does think it.

I'm on board with most of your assessment, although I believe Putin is in another league of resource size and strategizing than Kim or Iran's leaders. I think Putin miscalculated the severity of the western reaction and China's lack of economic help but knew the approximate costs of an invasion.

It's possible that Putin, with his bloated face, is undergoing some serious health issues which would make him much more dangerous. He's probably worried more about his legacy and less about the future. So far, he is still not doing anything to draw NATO or the US directly into his advances.

Back
Top Bottom