• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is belief true in the following instances:

• A man prays but hates those who are virtuous.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A man worships God alone, loves the believers, and hates the unbelievers.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AndrewC

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The below is taken from a washingtonpost.com article (may need to be a member of washingtonpost.com to read this article). The question and potential answers are taken from a recent fourth grade Saudi text book. So how many true believers do we have on this board? Check the article for the *CORRECT* answer. With friends like these, who needs enemies.

The Saudi Guide To Piety

(a) A man prays but hates those who are virtuous.

(b) A man professes that there is no deity other than God but loves the unbelievers.

(c) A man worships God alone, loves the believers, and hates the unbelievers.

The below is taken from a washingtonpost.com article (may need to be a member of washingtonpost.com to read this article). The question and potential answers are taken from a recent fourth grade Saudi text book. So how many true believers do we have on this board? Check the article for the *CORRECT* answer. With friends like these, who needs enemies.

The Saudi Guide To Piety
I choose B but thats simply the understanding of christianity, it being a saudi text book, it doesn't come as surpirse that muslims would chose C.

Islam is not just "A different religion", its violent.

If you could find me 100 muslims or christians who genuinely loved others beyond their immediate family or favourite celebrity / current masturbatory icon I would be surprised.

And I don't care whether the "others" who they are supposed to love are believers or non believers.

Mmmmm, theocracy.

I don't see the relevance of the title... Since when does hatred/love of the virtuous or unbelievers have anything to do with the truth value of the mystical claim?

If you could find me 100 muslims or christians who genuinely loved others beyond their immediate family or favourite celebrity / current masturbatory icon I would be surprised.

And I don't care whether the "others" who they are supposed to love are believers or non believers.
Since when have there been people who DO genuinely love others beyond their family?

I'm sure, if you take into account the three manifestations of love considered by the Greek philosophers; Eros, Philia, and Agape...it isn't beyond belief that people do love outside their family and even friends.

I certainly do.

I don't see the relevance of the title... Since when does hatred/love of the virtuous or unbelievers have anything to do with the truth value of the mystical claim?

Join the club. The argument doesn't make much sense.

Don't you love the flavor of theocracy?

I'm sure, if you take into account the three manifestations of love considered by the Greek philosophers; Eros, Philia, and Agape...it isn't beyond belief that people do love outside their family and even friends.

I certainly do.

Good post...which is why, for this question to be answered, love, in this context, must be defined.

Since when have there been people who DO genuinely love others beyond their family?

You're sort of repeating what I said except that you have excluded erotic love (which you should never have for blood family).

I would still argue it is highly unlikely to find 100 people of any religion (and non religion) who genuinely love others of their kind or even the polar opposites. It is fine to say you love your country and countrymen but I doubt many here or elsewhere would genuinely say they love military deserters / conscientious deserters or proponents of beliefs at polar opposites to themself.

For example - it would be interesting to see how many of the large body of pro-Israel posters here could say they "love" muslims............... :roll:

Last edited:
You love me?

Of course not, to love a thing is to know and value its nature. Everything I know about you reminds me of human civilization at its infancy (the bronze ages.)

But I do love many outside of my own family.

Back
Top Bottom