• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is being neutral in the face of a great evil ethical?

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Switzerland, Sweden and Portugal were neutral during WWII.

Switzerland and Sweden became safe zones for Nazi Germany were resources could be mined and imported into Germany. Switzerland did a lot of banking for the Nazis.

Switzerland shot down allied planes that violated her airspace.

When a great evil arises, shouldn't you fight it?

Evilroddy

Pragmatic, pugalistic, prancing, porcine politico.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Swing_voter:

Evil, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Once a person has established that something is a "great evil", then it is up to that person to decide whether or not to fight it. Once the decision is made to fight it, then comes the determination of the scale at which to fight it and how "total" the effort will be. Then given the answers to those questions, the final calculation is how best to fight it (methodology). This can be a complicated decision making process, especially when one is faced by multiple "great evils" simultaneously. The decision to fight great evil is a personal one and once made the methods to fight the evil vary widely. One need not pick up a weapon to combat great evil.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Elvira

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Switzerland and Sweden became safe zones for Nazi Germany were resources could be mined and imported into Germany. Switzerland did a lot of banking for the Nazis.

As a Christian, I can't help but think of what Jesus said on the last night of his earthly life...

"I have said these things to you so that by means of me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation, but take courage! I have conquered the world.” John 16:33

What did Jesus mean by such a comment since he knew he was about to be killed by the world? How did he conquer this world, when it seemed this world had conquered him? He meant he had triumphed over the world by not becoming like it, by not permitting the thinking and actions of unrighteous human society to influence him in any way and by his faith, loyalty, and integrity, Jesus proved that “the ruler of the world,” Satan, had “no hold” on him....more than 60 years after Jesus’ trial, John was inspired to write...

“because everyone who has been born from God conquers the world. And this is the conquest that has conquered the world, our faith. Who can conquer the world? Is it not the one who has faith that Jesus is the Son of God?" 1 John 5:4,5

So my answer is no, by physically fighting evil in this world, we can never win...only by our faith, will evil ever be conquered...faith in God to bring to an end to all evil once and for all time...

dex4974

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
It is not my obligation to fight. If other people see me as evil for that then so be it. I'll be in my garden meditating.

Napoleon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

Sometimes a party which has no hope of winning in a war must decide in what position they can do the most good. Switzerland fiercely defended its neutrality in shooting down both Allied and Nazi planes. And despite its military neutrality it was still fiercely anti-Nazi. Later in the war, Allied planes damaged in bombing missions would intentionally fly into Switzerland as a safe zone where their plane would be forced to land, impounded, and they would be held as “prisoners of war” - which usually meant they cooled their heels at a ski resort until their safe release could be arranged. Nazis on the other hand were always destined for a prison/internment camp.

Drawdown

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Neutrality is a strategic choice designed to keep your people from being slaughtered. It was the most ethical choice they could have made.

Top Bottom