• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is being born sentient a privilege?

Is being born self aware and sentient a privilege?

• Being born self aware is a privilege

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Being born sentient is a privilege

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither sentience nor self awareness are privileged attributes, or else these are not applicable

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Celebrity

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Some say that AI will never reach the height of human creativity because it is not self aware. But if machines use electrical signals like our brains use electrical signals until we die, then machines can be built to take record of sensations like we feel sensations.

No...some people got it...some people don't...there's no rhyme or reason...

I don't think the word applies. Privilege can ONLY apply to sentient being. Is a diamond more privileged than quartz?

Now, if machines ever do become sentient then we can start discussing how much privilege they have or don't have. My guess is initially humans will have the privilege over the AI. But once we hit the singularity that could quickly change.

I don't think the word applies. Privilege can ONLY apply to sentient being. Is a diamond more privileged than quartz?

Now, if machines ever do become sentient then we can start discussing how much privilege they have or don't have. My guess is initially humans will have the privilege over the AI. But once we hit the singularity that could quickly change.

Then people who self identify as Apache attack helicopters can't complain about privilege... dang that sucks.

Then people who self identify as Apache attack helicopters can't complain about privilege... dang that sucks.

Sure they can. Who is going to tell an Apache Helicopter to be quiet? I sure wouldn't. ;)

Some say that AI will never reach the height of human creativity because it is not self aware. But if machines use electrical signals like our brains use electrical signals until we die, then machines can be built to take record of sensations like we feel sensations.

Hate to break the news to you but research has clearly shown that we are not born self aware but develop self awareness between 15 and 24 months of age.

Hate to break the news to you but research has clearly shown that we are not born self aware but develop self awareness between 15 and 24 months of age.

That is probably true but sentience likely emerges sometime in the 3rd trimester. Which makes me wonder if sentient AI will be developed well before self-aware AI is.

That is probably true but sentience likely emerges sometime in the 3rd trimester. Which makes me wonder if sentient AI will be developed well before self-aware AI is.

Define sentient. They already have programmes for computers that can learn and advance themselves by being aware of their surroundings. Self driving cars as an example.

Define sentient. They already have programmes for computers that can learn and advance themselves by being aware of their surroundings. Self driving cars as an example.

The capacity to subjectively feel or experience. All self aware beings arre sentient but not all sentient beings are self aware. You are sentient and self aware. A chicken is likely sentient but not self aware. A snail is likely neither sentient nor self aware.

The problem here is, our brains are the most complex object that we are aware of in the Universe. Getting an AI to the level of a fish as far as sentience would be an astronomical breakthrough. To get machines to the point that they can record sensations like we feel sensations is magnitudes above that. If it's even possible. That's why AI is so dangerous, we can program them to learn, we can program them to mimic us, we can program them to make decisions based on stimuli, but we can't program them to feel as we do. To examine their own being as we do, and decide what kind of being they want to be. To create a machine that can self determine, without self awareness, or the capacity for guilt, could lead to our destruction.

Setting aside the invisible hand of a divine being or purpose as an actor in nature for the sake of debate, sentience is a circumstance or a condition randomly manifested through adaptation and evolution and is not a privilege bestowed by some greater power on organisms. Sentience may be an advantage but it is not a privilege because it is not bestowed. It emerges from the interaction of chance and survivability.

Now if faith or reason leads one to a belief in God or the divine and likewise to the notion that sentience was bestowed by divine agency upon humans, then perhaps it is a privilege from that perspective. If we humans in our own blundering way create learning and self-educating AI then perhaps we have bestowed sentience on sikicon-based proto-organisms and thus privileged them. Ecce homo! Ecce machina! Ego stultus sum.

Cheers my carbon-based and silicon-based comrades. Please don't kill me, no matter who is more privileged. Time will do that for you!
Evilroddy.

The problem here is, our brains are the most complex object that we are aware of in the Universe. Getting an AI to the level of a fish as far as sentience would be an astronomical breakthrough. To get machines to the point that they can record sensations like we feel sensations is magnitudes above that. If it's even possible. That's why AI is so dangerous, we can program them to learn, we can program them to mimic us, we can program them to make decisions based on stimuli, but we can't program them to feel as we do. To examine their own being as we do, and decide what kind of being they want to be. To create a machine that can self determine, without self awareness, or the capacity for guilt, could lead to our destruction.

ThoughtEx:

Heartless digital Darwinism leading to human extinction. It's Evolution, Baby!

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

The capacity to subjectively feel or experience. All self aware beings arre sentient but not all sentient beings are self aware. You are sentient and self aware. A chicken is likely sentient but not self aware. A snail is likely neither sentient nor self aware.

And a programme to drive a car is aware of it's surroundings. It can grow through experience. I would say we already have sentience in machines.

Back
Top Bottom