• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is beating children ever acceptable?

Is it OK for an adult to severely beat a 6 year old child?

• Never!

Votes: 40 93.0%
  • If the child saps the adult first

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
wow this thread is horrendous

thread title "Is beating children ever acceptable?"
thread/poll question: "is it ok for an adult to severely beat a 6 year old child

these arent even close to the same.........

then the poll options:
Never
if the child slaps the adult first?

this thread and OP is broken on some many levels

Beating(spanking) is fine and done properly and in moderation I recommend it
severely beat seems like you are describing abuse or assault to me and of course that is not ok

How in the **** is spankings not the same ****ing thing as assault? I mean sure, the law allows it, but ****ing hell, it's the same ****ing thing. :lol:

:yt

while I dont put the 12yr old limit on it I agree

also he is right to ask what "beating" means because I once got into an argument on here about that . . .

seems the term varies around the country . . some people say beating and they mean like violent assault, others say it and it means whoopin or spanking etc.. In pittsburgh area basically nobody says "spanking" . . we say beat . .

The reason I say 12, and granted that is approximate, is you're approaching the point of diminishing returns. \

In fact, the last time I ever spanked Son#1 was age 8 or 9. It was never necessary thereafter.

By the time he was 13 or 14, it would have been just about useless if not counterproductive. You can't really spank most 14yo's sufficiently to achieve the goal without crossing the border into abuse, for one thing. Also, by that age, there are many other options which are often more effective for that stage, involving restricting privileges and social activity.

For another, if you haven't established parental control and authority by the time they hit the teenage years, then you've waited too long and you're probably screwed anyway.

How in the **** is spankings not the same ****ing thing as assault? I mean sure, the law allows it, but ****ing hell, it's the same ****ing thing. :lol:

Wrong again.

That's like claiming a firecracker and the firebombing of Dresden are the same thing.

:roll:

I always thought that any child abuse is unacceptable. But a great moral authority thinks differently. The group MUH Men's Rights Activism is a Feminist Facebook page concerned with countering negative representation of Feminism.

They had interesting comments about a video of a six year old boy slapping his mother:
View attachment 67202164

Fortunately this is a problem I will not have to address myself. As we are definitely moving into a post-child-beating society I would have to seriously ponder how to deal with a situation in which the child has gone full-blown werewolf, and not having the ability to slap him in order to shock him back into reality would be tough. That said, I don't even believe one should hit their kid in the first place, I just wouldn't know what to do in lieu of a slap if (when) I ran out of options.

My daughter is a straight A student with no behavior problems. :shrug: I never once laid a hand on her through her life and could never dream of doing it. If you think hitting younger weaker people is a good policy in your life, well, I have no words that I can use to describe that belief that are inside the rules.

I am crushed by the implication that you don't think well of me, Henrin.

Crushed, down to my very soul.

Oh well, Son#1 still loves me... :D

you just answered your own question, basic common sense and definitions make them different LMAO like always your subjective opinions and philosophies on the matter are meaningless.

I was spanked and turned out fine. I refuse to spank my own kids and they are growing up just fine.

Beating is a whole other level and I don't think beating a child is ever justified.

There might be rare exceptions when you are talking about a full grown teenage boy. I'll tell a story my dad told me.

My dad is a good man who loves and took care of his parents in their old age. But as a teenager he admits he was a handful. He bought his first car with money he made selling drugs at school, for example. My dad made it through his whole childhood without my grandfather ever spanking him or physically punishing him, though he got a few spankings from Grandma as a kid. My grandfather was a big, strong, imposing man. He ran with a biker gang in his youth and looked the part. But he was always calm and soft spoken. I personally never saw him raise his voice or even get angry.

Anyway, when Dad was 16 years old he got in trouble one day with Grandma. Dad was going to storm out of the house in anger so Grandma stood in front of him and told him he wasn't allowed to go anywhere. Dad, furious, called Grandma a "bitch" and shoved her out of the way. Now, back then that would have been akin to calling your mom the c-word.

My mild-mannered grandfather jumped out of his recliner, flew across the room, grabbed by father by the neck, threw him up against the wall, and punched him one time, hard, knocking him out cold.

When my dad came to, Grandpa was kneeling down by him and in his usual calm voice said, "so you think you are some kind of man talking to your mom like that and pushing her around? Well, that is what I do to a man who disrespects my wife like you just did. If you weren't my son you'd be leaving this house on a gurney."

My dad says he completely deserved it and it was a turning point in his life. Was it the best way to handle things? Perhaps not. But there may be extreme situations when a boy is close to being a man, physically, when a dad MIGHT have to treat him like one. Hopefully it only happens once, if ever.

Lets hope that we DO know the difference between a slap and ''severely beating'' . I think there are some who do not .. There is a problem with extremism .. and common sense . The problem is this .. some people allow their emotions to ''rule the day'' ... Ruling a time , a short time , is OK and normal, IMO ...BUT , this time is NOT the time to administer discipline ..

1.)The reason I say 12, and granted that is approximate, is you're approaching the point of diminishing returns. \
2.)In fact, the last time I ever spanked Son#1 was age 8 or 9. It was never necessary thereafter.
3.)By the time he was 13 or 14, it would have been just about useless if not counterproductive. You can't really spank most 14yo's sufficiently to achieve the goal without crossing the border into abuse, for one thing.
4.) Also, by that age, there are many other options which are often more effective for that stage, involving restricting privileges and social activity.

For another, if you haven't established parental control and authority by the time they hit the teenage years, then you've waited too long and you're probably screwed anyway.

1.) oh I dont disagree, it CAN definitely be less effective . . .i I was just saying I never thought about it much and dont put a limit on it in my head . . just seems natural to me to slowly stop
2.) I had similar results with my daughter but she did get beat once at 14 but before then like a 5 year in between
3.) I can understand that, for me it was fine and worked perfectly because it was more about shock and aw and her having the realization . . oh im not grown and this COULD still happened
4.) I agree here also, actually my daughter didnt have a phone until 15 . . and she only got one then because of her social activities (dance, softball, debate, band, cross county, speech competitions)

you just answered your own question, basic common sense and definitions make them different LMAO like always your subjective opinions and philosophies on the matter are meaningless.

If I hit a child or adult unprovoked then I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same thing. The idea that you make a special exception for one group of people when it comes to be struck by other human beings is completely absurd. It makes even less sense to make that exception children that are damaged mentally from the experience.

If anything hitting children should be the exception to the rule for ever hitting since there is never a reason to do it.

Neither beating nor spanking (slapping, whatever) children is ok.

And just because you or your children were spanked and turned out fine (I was, with a wooden rolling pin if I was real naughty) doesn't mean spanking is ok.

If I hit a child or adult unprovoked then I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same thing. The idea that you make a special exception for one group of people when it comes to be struck by other human beings is completely absurd. It makes even less sense to make that exception children that are damaged mentally from the experience.

AGain your subjective opinions and philosophies don't matter to me and facts. You are welcome to have them, they are meaningless to me and the fact remains by definition they are not the same.

AGain your subjective opinions and philosophies don't matter to me and facts. You are welcome to have them, they are meaningless to me and the fact remains by definition they are not the same.

Hardly subjective. Hitting one group of people vs another group of people within the relevant context is exactly the same. The damage it might cause is different, but the act itself is exactly the same.

Any adult who beats a child is just closing the circle, continuing the cycle.
Why, in God's name, should something that would get you charged with a crime if you did it to an adult, be acceptable if you do it to one of the most helpless, most defenseless members of our community?

Hardly subjective. Hitting one group of people vs another group of people within the relevant context is exactly the same. The damage it might cause is different, but the act itself is exactly the same.

Factually subjective by definition.

Of course it's not acceptable to beat your children, or at least that's what I hope most of everyone believes.

But then again, there is a distinct difference between a spanking and a beating.

Last edited:
Exactly. 1 yes, 2 never. Sometimes a child needs the discipline that comes with proper corporal punishment, sometimes it's all that'll 'get through to them'.

Something I think we've lost over the years of liberal /progressive indoctrination.

Greetings, Erik. :2wave:

:agree: I don't like the word "beating," which is over the line, IMO, not only for children but for adults. To me it means using fists to injure, but spanking means using an open palm on a child's behind - and I earned my share of those as a young child! Us kids quickly learned that we'd better obey our parents! :mrgreen:

It really makes no sense to say you can't hit anyone, but if you have a kid then you can hit them. Why the exception? What in the ****ing hell is children the exception to be hit? They apparently have so little rights in the country that it's ok to hit them. Goofy ****.

:agree: I don't like the word "beating," which is over the line, IMO, not only for children but for adults. To me it means using fists to injure, but spanking means using an open palm on a child's behind - and I earned my share of those as a young child! Us kids quickly learned that we'd better obey our parents! :mrgreen:

See this is a perfect example of what I was talkign about . .

the word beating for kids varies around the country like soda, soda pop, cola, and pop etc.

In the pittsburgh area almost nobody says "spanking" everybody says beat around here and its understood that its normal popular punishment . . not child abuse and certainly not closed fist to injure

and not knocking polgara in anyway what so ever, i get it, its a natural geographical dialect thing that just happens.....

Last edited:
Factually subjective by definition.

Why don't you explain why it is ok to hit children, but not adults. Lets see if your argument is at all rational.

Why don't you explain why there is a difference in children that make it ok to hit them. Lets see if your argument is at all rational.

LMAO See this is where you always fail and fall on your face and why your posts get destroyed so often. Im not presenting any "argument" to you, nothing i told you is based on "me", its based on facts and definitions.

What you said is FACTUALLY subjective because definitions make it that way and prove you wrong. Nothing will change that fact, you are free to disagree, have different opinions even if some are factually wrong but it has ZERO impact. Facts will remains with or without your subjective and meaningless and approval. :shrug:

Greetings, Polgara. :2wave:

Yeah, 'beating' is over the line. I too earned by share of spankings and such when deserved, and yes, when safety or defiance was at issue. If only recent generations have shown the outright 'thugishness', lack of respect for others, authority, as well as themselves, I suppose one could draw the conclusion that the lack of parental discipline might be the root cause. On the other hand, any respect rendered by youth is probably not misspent.

It really makes no sense to say you can't hit anyone, but if you have a kid then you can hit them. Why the exception? What in the ****ing hell is children the exception to be hit? They apparently have so little rights in the country that it's ok to hit them. Goofy ****.

Well, that's what I say about the death penalty, Henrin. Killing somebody who kills somebody to show that killing people is wrong is stupid. So is spanking little Susie to teach her that hitting her little brother is wrong.

Of course it's not acceptable to beat your children, or at least that's what I hope most of everyone believes.

But then again, there is a distinct difference between a spanking and a beating.

Spanking is not the most effective means to maintain compliance.

I don't think spanking should be illegal, but if i do become a parent, i would not elect to utilize the punishment.

Back
Top Bottom