• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is beating children ever acceptable?

Is it OK for an adult to severely beat a 6 year old child?

• Never!

Votes: 40 93.0%
  • If the child saps the adult first

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Last edited:
If you are the caretaker for a child or an adult, you are responsible for them.

You said doing those things to an adult would be criminal. I explained that, if you do an appropriate comparison- between a child that you're responsible for or an adult that you're responsible for- your entire argument by analogy falls apart. In fact, it disproves your argument. It is inappropriate to spank a misbehaving senior citizen.

That's what you believe but you've only supported my position. You've demonstratively shown that certain groups are treated differently depending on a set of variables. Thanks for coming around to my side of the issue.

That's what you believe but you've only supported my position. You've demonstratively shown that certain groups are treated differently depending on a set of variables. Thanks for coming around to my side of the issue.

Do you think it is more appropriate for a police officer to spank someone for speeding than issue them a ticket ?

Tell me, do you often try to fix a problem by making it worse ?

Solely addressing corporal punishment of children, I have yet to see any evidence that occasional spanking makes child disciplinary problems any worse

Understand that I have seen studies which seem to indicate, at best, that regular spanking (as a near exclusive means of disciplining a child) can lead to unwanted negative behavioral results (if not in the short term then likely in the long term), and I've read studies which indicate that older (12 to 18-year-old) at-risk children report having been exposed to corporal punishment at a young age slightly more than the children in those studies who report that they were not exposed to physical punishment as young children.

But I have yet to read anything that says that very occasional spanking as a last resort and when used in concert with numerous other methods of discipline has any ill effect on a child.

I have an eight-year-old son who has been spanked, but I can count the number of times on one hand (or at least less than two).

I reserve spanking as an absolute last resort in worst-case situations where I've tried everything else and it hasn't worked OR when his behavior is so far beyond the pall of decent human conduct that he's crossed a "line in the sand".

My kid is a straight "A" student, captain of his soccer team, and the best big brother I could possibly ask for to my four-year-old.

The four-year-old has been spanked exactly once because he deliberately spit at his mom - the spitting incident was almost a year ago and it hasn't been repeated since.

There has been no indication so far that either of them resorts to violence as a means of settling differences, neither regularly nor occasionally, and understand that I have absolutely no objection to either of my children occasionally resorting to violence to settle differences if and when they've exhausted all other options OR when they're exposed to behavior that is beyond what they're reasonably willing to accept.

I appreciate your high-mindedness and all, but frankly I don't really think you know what you're talking about.

I'm curious how many non-spanked children you've raised or are raising and how exactly they're fairing?

Solely addressing corporal punishment of children, I have yet to see any evidence that occasional spanking makes child disciplinary problems any worse

Understand that I have seen studies which seem to indicate, at best, that regular spanking (as a near exclusive means of disciplining a child) can lead to unwanted negative behavioral results (if not in the short term then likely in the long term), and I've read studies which indicate that older (12 to 18-year-old) at-risk children report having been exposed to corporal punishment at a young age slightly more than the children in those studies who report that they were not exposed to physical punishment as young children.

But I have yet to read anything that says that very occasional spanking as a last resort and when used in concert with numerous other methods of discipline has any ill effect on a child.

I have an eight-year-old son who has been spanked, but I can count the number of times on one hand (or at least less than two).

I reserve spanking as an absolute last resort in worst-case situations where I've tried everything else and it hasn't worked OR when his behavior is so far beyond the pall of decent human conduct that he's crossed a "line in the sand".

My kid is a straight "A" student, captain of his soccer team, and the best big brother I could possibly ask for to my four-year-old.

The four-year-old has been spanked exactly once because he deliberately spit at his mom - the spitting incident was almost a year ago and it hasn't been repeated since.

There has been no indication so far that either of them resorts to violence as a means of settling differences, neither regularly nor occasionally, and understand that I have absolutely no objection to either of my children occasionally resorting to violence to settle differences if and when they've exhausted all other options OR when they're exposed to behavior that is beyond what they're reasonably willing to accept.

I appreciate your high-mindedness and all, but frankly I don't really think you know what you're talking about.

I'm curious how many non-spanked children you've raised or are raising and how exactly they're fairing?

This :

"I reserve spanking as an absolute last resort in worst-case situations where I've tried everything else and it hasn't worked OR when his behavior is so far beyond the pall of decent human conduct that he's crossed a "line in the sand"."

Is part of my objection. I suspect the reason that parents spank is for their own satisfaction, to alleviate their own frustration, rather than a magnanimous activity meant to shape their child into a respectful, rule-abiding human being.

Now i certainly don't mean this in any personal way and i don't like criticizing how someone else raises their child based on a snapshot. If i look at it objectively, i don't obey the rules because i don't want to get spanked. That would only compel me to avoid getting caught, since the punishment is attached to being caught, not doing the activity.

1. Do something bad

2. Get caught

Now, we want to prevent (1) by responding to (2). There's a problem there. The learner must understand why it is important to avoid (1). Spanking them primarily teaches them to avoid (2), though admittedly, avoiding (1) ensures avoidance of (2).

And, like i said before, there's a reason why psychology utilizes studies instead of anecdotes. There are a LOT of reasons why someone who was spanked as a child and spanked their own child is not in a position to evaluate whether spanking is a successful deterrent or not. There are other ways that are actually better. We already use them.

Back
Top Bottom