• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is atheism a religion?

Re: Atheism a religion

RightatNYU said:
I've always thought it was seen as this way:

Atheism - Belief that there is no god.
Agnosticism - Belief that there might or might not be a god, and that it is unknown.

By these definitions, atheism is a belief, while agnosticism is the absence of belief.

Doesn't this definition of Atheism first suggest that there is a god? Only after acknowledging this does it deny it?

Stherngntlmn said:
Yes... and honestly I think it probably takes more extreme faith to keep hold of a belief in the absense of a God than to believe in the existance of one.

As an atheist, I do not keep hold of a belief in the absence of a god any more than I keep hold of a belief in the absence of Santa Clause. Santa Clause does not exist. He is a fictitious character. Likewise, IMHO, any god.

galenrox said:
Atheisms is a set of beliefs, the belief that there is not a God, based on a number of spiritual leaders (people who lead others's spirituality, or beliefs in spirituality) such as scientists whose words they interpret as showing well enough that there is no God, so atheists fit under definition 2.

I don't agree that scientists are the spiritual leaders of Atheism. Atheism has no spiritual leaders. Scientists do not seek to lead Atheists that there is no evidence for god, Atheists conclude this on their own.

And, by the way, the definition of Atheist encompasses those who believe there is no evidence for any gods, which is different that believing there is are no gods.

I am an Atheist, and other Atheists consider me an Atheist. I do not deny the existence of God, I simply have seen that the evidence is zero.

To clarify this position, I would say (CLICHE ALERT) "If you can prove to me the existence of Unicorns, I can prove to you the existence of God."

alex said:
Atheism - Belief that there is no god.

Doesn't this definition of Atheism first suggest that there is a god? Only after acknowledging this does it deny it?

I dont see how the definition pre-supposes that.

ghost said:
Could Atheism be a form of religion in a way? It takes out 'God', And sets no God as the standard. But wouldnt that make it some sort of belief? Sort of like a religion in a way. And If there thing is to fully take away religion they are only reaslablishing it in a different that suits them.

Well, it does take a lot of faith to believe in nothing.

Fu_chick said:
Well, it does take a lot of faith to believe in nothing.
Do you mean to say that it takes alot of faith to believe that nothing exists? Or to believe that god doesn't exist? or ??

Dezaad said:
No, Atheism could not fit the 2nd. The third is the only possibility here. And, Frankly, I think the 3rd is a bit loosey goosey with language. Environmentalism, The Fight For Freedom, Capitalism could all fit into number 3, as well as many many more.

The most a person could say, if one was going to accept 3 as a definition, is that Atheism is a religion for some people, in the colloquial sense.

col·lo·qui·al ( P ) adj.
Characteristic of or appropriate to the spoken language or to writing that seeks the effect of speech; informal.
Relating to conversation; conversational.
Dictionary.com

The most important question is, why does it matter? Language is and always has been flexible, who gives a **** what you call it? This thread is a good timewaster.

I am an Atheist.
I read a book of Walter Kasper, where he describes the meaning or the definition of the word god. Sentences like the last question and so on. Most of the Atheist don't like the idea of theism, because a personal god is nothing but the desire of those who want to believe in it/him however. If you say god without thinking of a personal one most of the Atheists become Agnostics.

I don't think you can call Atheism a religion. There is no Bible, no community no place where they meet, no leader, nothing a religion has.

Atheim don't need a lot of faith, the only thing it needs is to think rational.

nope said:
Atheim don't need a lot of faith, the only thing it needs is to think rational.

Alright answer this question. How did the Universe form? Not earth. But how did all of the planets stars and even space get here? Is there a rational answer the this question?

Well, I geuse you all didnt get my point. I didnt mean that they themselves out to be 'god' But however. It does make it almost a religion. Because it is there belief and they put it out there so strongly. And not only that but they teach and preach like a religion would. So I mean In its a odd wacked out religion with no god. Making man his own god.

Dictionary says :
Religion (Noun) - A strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny

So in answer to your question...No.

An even simpler way of finding this out would be to simply ask:

Would all Dogmatic-Atheists please do a roll call please??

guns_God_glory said:
Alright answer this question. How did the Universe form? Not earth. But how did all of the planets stars and even space get here? Is there a rational answer the this question?

The big bang was the beginning of our universe. Astrophysicists have a general idea of how galaxies, nebulae, and solar systems formed from that initial event, but no idea what happened before it. Or even if there is a before since space-time would not have existed yet.

I have read that many of the physical laws of our universe such as the force of attraction between subatomic particles and the strength of gravity were determined in the first tiny fraction of a second after the big bang by unknown means. Some of these forces have to fall into a very narrow range in order for matter to even exist. For instance if the subatomic attractive forces were slightly weaker neutrons would not be able to bind with protons to form atoms. Or if gravity were slightly weaker the entire universe would be nothing more than nebulae.

I find it highly serendipitous that all these laws just happened to fall into a range that makes life possible. There could be a trillion big bangs and the chances of getting the same laws in any of them would still be astronomically unlikely. I think this is the best evidence that God exists.

donkeykong said:
I find it highly serendipitous that all these laws just happened to fall into a range that makes life possible. There could be a trillion big bangs and the chances of getting the same laws in any of them would still be astronomically unlikely. I think this is the best evidence that God exists.

So, erm, where did God come from?

donkeykong said:
This is kind of a silly statement DK. First of all, evidence exists in the presence of facts. Not in the assumption of probabilities. Assuming that a trillion big bangs would garner much different results in physical laws BASED on our current physical laws, is nonsense. I'm not trying to be rude, but it's just non-sensical. Saying it to be astronomically unlikely is basing this assumption on our own physical laws.

According to one theory, the universe expands to a certain point then collapses in on itself. Then another big bang occurs, starting the whole cycle over again until it too collapses. Then another big bang, then another, then another. So maybe there has been a trillion big bangs. Who knows? Now there's no proof to this either, but if it is true, it would make sense that all physical laws remain the same every single time. Otherwise how could the process from bang to collapse occur the same every time? This is another example of assuming based on probable scenarios.

Anyway, by stating that an assumption of probability is evidence of God is silly.

Last edited:

I think that you erase 'God' then you are making yourself out to be 'God'. Man has always done this since for as long as I could remember. But how is it, that man cannot explain everything without the hope of something more? Athiest just make the complaint there is no 'God'. Wich is saying that our cells someday just magically came together for no reason and we arrived. Making man 'God' because we made our cells come together. Making man the only person who could do such a thing. It is a religion. Or a cult if I may. They worship the fact that there is no 'God' like a church would to there messiah. The get drunk of the fact that they are the top of the food chain and that they are superior to every other living orginism on the face of this planet, putting science and theory above everything else.

guns_God_glory said:

A semi-definitive answer? There is no rational answer to this question of that nature. Nothing can be known about the Universe before the Big Bang because all evidence that would tell us anything about conditions prior to the Bang would have been obliterated. This includes any evidence for God. Which means that you cannot rationally conclude that God exists based on any evidence that might have existed prior to the Big Bang.

One can speculate rationally, however. But there is no more liklihood that a Prime Mover set up the Big Bang than that the conditions for the Big Bang event always existed, or more precisely, that the conditions for the Big Bang were eternally inevitable without a Prime Mover.

The only things of consequence are things that leave evidence of their existence. God does not seem to have done so, so if God exists, one need not worry oneself about it. God is of no consequence regardless of whether God does exist or not. I am therefore Not Theist. Atheist. Theists believe in God, Atheists hold no such belief, and have seen no reason to entertain one.

Do I believe that God does not exist? Atheists sometimes believe God does not exist. Other Atheists do not hold this belief. I am of the second variety. I cannot believe that something does not exist unless it can be shown that it does not. It is not possible to show that something does not exist, except as qualified in the next paragraph. Atheists of this variety generally put the foregoing into the following perspective: I cannot prove that magical creatures, such as elves, do not exist. Elves and God are equally likely to exist, both being magical creatures.

Let's examine things that cannot logically exist. Most Atheists believe that certain Gods could not possibly exist, because the definitions of those Gods are inconsistent. That is to say, that the definitions of those Gods are self contradictory. Atheists accept that logical contradictions are impossible in reality (can only exist as ideas) and thus certain Gods could not possibly exist. Many Atheists are satisfied that the Christian God is of this variety.

Atheistic belief is of a different character than Religious belief. All Atheistic beliefs are subject to revision. It is recognized by Atheists that where self-consistency is possible new evidence may in all cases present itself, and that where it seems that self-consistency is not possible, new arguments may show that the Atheist was in error. On the other hand, Religious belief is partly based on revelation. Revelation is accepted on faith, and thus, Religious belief is not "revisable" (immutability is a good concept here). That is to say that Religious belief is not even merely superstitious, it is dogmatic.

Religious people have often stated that Atheists are dogmatic, and perhaps some are. It has been my experience that when the Religious person is confronted with the consistent Atheistic demand for evidence, this is seen as dogmatic. Quite the opposite, actually. If an Atheist were to accept a belief without a preponderance of evidence, and fail to shed that belief when presented with the notion's the lack of evidence, this would be dogmatic. The refusal to do so cannot be fairly construed as such.

I think, though I am not sure, that all Atheists would say that their notion of God's existence is subject to revision. Some Religious people might claim the same thing.

Let's examine the reason why these approaches to belief are actually wholly different.

The Atheist will withold belief in a thing until presented with evidence. The Religious will grant belief in a thing until presented with evidence of the thing's non-existence. Think carefully about this: Once certain beliefs are accepted by the Religious, they will not change them unless the impossible is performed. Thus, the Religious person's claim that their belief in God is revisable is an empty claim. They don't really mean what they imply.

This difference in approaches to Belief is one aspect that makes Atheism fail to qualify as a Religion.

My reply is illustrative. What I have illustrated is an Atheist's position on the notion of a Prime Mover. Can you make a religion of this position? If so, How?

Dezaad said:
A semi-definitive answer? There is no rational answer to this question of that nature. Nothing can be known about the Universe before the Big Bang because all evidence that would tell us anything about conditions prior to the Bang would have been obliterated. This includes any evidence for God. Which means that you cannot rationally conclude that God exists based on any evidence that might have existed prior to the Big Bang.

One can speculate rationally, however. But there is no more liklihood that a Prime Mover set up the Big Bang than that the conditions for the Big Bang event always existed, or more precisely, that the conditions for the Big Bang were eternally inevitable without a Prime Mover.

The only things of consequence are things that leave evidence of their existence. God does not seem to have done so, so if God exists, one need not worry oneself about it. God is of no consequence regardless of whether God does exist or not. I am therefore Not Theist. Atheist. Theists believe in God, Atheists hold no such belief, and have seen no reason to entertain one.

Do I believe that God does not exist? Atheists sometimes believe God does not exist. Other Atheists do not hold this belief. I am of the second variety. I cannot believe that something does not exist unless it can be shown that it does not. It is not possible to show that something does not exist, except as qualified in the next paragraph. Atheists of this variety generally put the foregoing into the following perspective: I cannot prove that magical creatures, such as elves, do not exist. Elves and God are equally likely to exist, both being magical creatures.

Let's examine things that cannot logically exist. Most Atheists believe that certain Gods could not possibly exist, because the definitions of those Gods are inconsistent. That is to say, that the definitions of those Gods are self contradictory. Atheists accept that logical contradictions are impossible in reality (can only exist as ideas) and thus certain Gods could not possibly exist. Many Atheists are satisfied that the Christian God is of this variety.

Atheistic belief is of a different character than Religious belief. All Atheistic beliefs are subject to revision. It is recognized by Atheists that where self-consistency is possible new evidence may in all cases present itself, and that where it seems that self-consistency is not possible, new arguments may show that the Atheist was in error. On the other hand, Religious belief is partly based on revelation. Revelation is accepted on faith, and thus, Religious belief is not "revisable" (immutability is a good concept here). That is to say that Religious belief is not even merely superstitious, it is dogmatic.

Religious people have often stated that Atheists are dogmatic, and perhaps some are. It has been my experience that when the Religious person is confronted with the consistent Atheistic demand for evidence, this is seen as dogmatic. Quite the opposite, actually. If an Atheist were to accept a belief without a preponderance of evidence, and fail to shed that belief when presented with the notion's the lack of evidence, this would be dogmatic. The refusal to do so cannot be fairly construed as such.

I think, though I am not sure, that all Atheists would say that their notion of God's existence is subject to revision. Some Religious people might claim the same thing.

Let's examine the reason why these approaches to belief are actually wholly different.

The Atheist will withold belief in a thing until presented with evidence. The Religious will grant belief in a thing until presented with evidence of the thing's non-existence. Think carefully about this: Once certain beliefs are accepted by the Religious, they will not change them unless the impossible is performed. Thus, the Religious person's claim that their belief in God is revisable is an empty claim. They don't really mean what they imply.

This difference in approaches to Belief is one aspect that makes Atheism fail to qualify as a Religion.

My reply is illustrative. What I have illustrated is an Atheist's position on the notion of a Prime Mover. Can you make a religion of this position? If so, How?

Well now that youve blown us away with your large theory. And sort of defintion. I have a question, if you put man ahead of everything else. Do you not make him a 'God' himself?

ghost said:
Well now that youve blown us away with your large theory. And sort of defintion. I have a question, if you put man ahead of everything else. Do you not make him a 'God' himself?

Well, now, you've blown us away with your profound response. No matter, I'll answer anyway...

It would, I suppose, depend on how you define God.

Are Atheists saying Man is Omniscient? No
Are Atheists saying Man is Omnipotent? No
Are Atheists saying Man is Eternal? No
Are Atheists saying Man ought to be worshipped? No
Are Atheists saying Man is representative of perfect Love? No
etc. etc.
Are Atheists saying Man is more important than God? Yes, Man exists, and Atheists do not believe in God, so Man is of greater consequence, and should be given greater consideration. More important by default.

So, it depends on the nature you ascribe to your God. If you say that your God is simply that which is most important to you, but none of the other qualities are required for God to be God, then the answer to your question is Yes. However, if it is required that in order for God to be God to you that God be Omniscient, Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Eternal, Worthy of Worship, A Manifestation of Perfect Love, and Etc. then, No, Atheists are not setting up Man to be God, or themselves for that matter.

What theory did I present, BTW?

ghost said:
I think that you erase 'God' then you are making yourself out to be 'God'. Man has always done this since for as long as I could remember. But how is it, that man cannot explain everything without the hope of something more? Athiest just make the complaint there is no 'God'. Wich is saying that our cells someday just magically came together for no reason and we arrived. Making man 'God' because we made our cells come together. Making man the only person who could do such a thing. It is a religion. Or a cult if I may. They worship the fact that there is no 'God' like a church would to there messiah. The get drunk of the fact that they are the top of the food chain and that they are superior to every other living orginism on the face of this planet, putting science and theory above everything else.

I don't see how you can define atheism as an religion. There is only one common theme. All gods and goddesses are man made. Beyond that you have every opinion under the sun. And yet this one deduction is enough for atheist to be considered a religion?

Well geeeez let me start up my own church then. Everyone knows the quickest way to get rich is to start your own religion. And since most atheist are of higher intelligence they will on average have higher paying jobs meaning more money for me. Best of all... since it's a religion it's TAX FREE!!!!! :lol:

Now I just need to write an atheist bible , set up a code of conduct, and insist on a moral structure.

...... hmm you know it was once said "organizing atheists is like herding cats."

donkeykong said:
The big bang was the beginning of our universe. Astrophysicists have a general idea of how galaxies, nebulae, and solar systems formed from that initial event, but no idea what happened before it.
I knew you would say that. What was before the big bang? Something had to be there to make it happen.

guns_God_glory said:
I knew you would say that. What was before the big bang? Something had to be there to make it happen.

and of course that something had to be intelligent and all powerful. something that just had to exist. How come your god can just exist and the universe can't. The logic behind this escapes me.

dogger807 said:
and of course that something had to be intelligent and all powerful. something that just had to exist. How come your god can just exist and the universe can't. The logic behind this escapes me.

What about the logic you use saying that the conditions were just perfect out of all the billions of other possibilites, that the "big bang" was just enough, and not too much, to line the planets up in the perfect order and give them the perfect rotation. That earth just happend to develope an atmosphere and life began to flourish and then fish grew legs and Apes turned into men. Yeah that sounds like it has a whole lot of logic too.

And the question was, What does science say was before the universe?

guns_God_glory said:
What about the logic you use saying that the conditions were just perfect out of all the billions of other possibilites, that the "big bang" was just enough, and not too much, to line the planets up in the perfect order and give them the perfect rotation. That earth just happend to develope an atmosphere and life began to flourish and then fish grew legs and Apes turned into men. Yeah that sounds like it has a whole lot of logic too.

And the question was, What does science say was before the universe?

Maybe there were billions of chances and not billions of possibilities. After a billion chances, something is going to happen. The "big bang" did not line the planets up in perfect order and give them the perfect rotation. The planets adapted to their environment and those conditions (planet order and rotation) occurred randomly. The planets were not directly consequences of the big bang; they were consequences of everything after. Just like the atmosphere and life on this planet. There were countless species that attempted life (stemming from other life) but were not able to adapt to certain conditions therefore they went extinct. After countless tries, a new species is created that will be able to meet the demands of its environment and be able to pass that ability on to the next generation. Humans were probably not the first species to come from the mutation of apes. We were eventually, however, one that survived. It is very logical.

StillPhil said:
This is kind of a silly statement DK. First of all, evidence exists in the presence of facts. Not in the assumption of probabilities. Assuming that a trillion big bangs would garner much different results in physical laws BASED on our current physical laws, is nonsense. I'm not trying to be rude, but it's just non-sensical. Saying it to be astronomically unlikely is basing this assumption on our own physical laws.

According to one theory, the universe expands to a certain point then collapses in on itself. Then another big bang occurs, starting the whole cycle over again until it too collapses. Then another big bang, then another, then another. So maybe there has been a trillion big bangs. Who knows? Now there's no proof to this either, but if it is true, it would make sense that all physical laws remain the same every single time. Otherwise how could the process from bang to collapse occur the same every time? This is another example of assuming based on probable scenarios.

Anyway, by stating that an assumption of probability is evidence of God is silly.

You are wrong. The distinction between proof and evidence is that proofs are meant to show a statement as true beyond doubt whereas evidence is used to imply that a statement is true. Therefore there is nothing wrong with using an 'assumption of probabilities' as evidence to imply something. Of course this isn't a perfect theory but I have yet to hear a better one from either theist or atheist.

You would probably also be a little less bold in your assertion that different physical laws arising out of different big bangs are nonsense if you knew that the theory was originally put forth by Steven Hawking.

The theory that the universe could collapse into another big bang has also fallen out of favor ever since the discovery that the rate of universal expansion is accelerating. Although your point that there could have been a trillion big bangs is still valid if there exist universes other than our own.

alex said:
Maybe there were billions of chances and not billions of possibilities. After a billion chances, something is going to happen. The "big bang" did not line the planets up in perfect order and give them the perfect rotation. The planets adapted to their environment and those conditions (planet order and rotation) occurred randomly. The planets were not directly consequences of the big bang; they were consequences of everything after. Just like the atmosphere and life on this planet. There were countless species that attempted life (stemming from other life) but were not able to adapt to certain conditions therefore they went extinct. After countless tries, a new species is created that will be able to meet the demands of its environment and be able to pass that ability on to the next generation. Humans were probably not the first species to come from the mutation of apes. We were eventually, however, one that survived. It is very logical.

Excellent reasoning. The anthropic principle is that we would not be here to observe natural phenomena were they not compatible with our existence. Therefore to use the improbability of those natural phenomena to prove a supernatural alternative is absolutely fallacious.

But still... How did such a system come to be? Why would there any big bangs at all(har har). Doesn't there have to be a cause? If we define God as 'omnipotent force responsible for the creation of the universe' would atheists still object to the claim that God created us and that Christianity is the imperfect personification of that force? If you didn't object then would you still fit then definition of atheist?

Back
Top Bottom