• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Anyone Shocked by High Teenage Unemployment?

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Indeed, teenage unemployment today is around 26 percent, and the Usual Suspects are concerned. The situation is so bad that some young people are even taking unpaid internships, something that state governments (and the unions that back them, of course) have declared illegal. Others, like this blogger, bemoan the fact that young people are not getting valuable work experience.

Yet for all of the angst from people who really want to believe that government fiat can trump economic laws (or create new ones), we are dealing with a situation that surprises no one who actually respects economics. The combination of both a recession and a substantial increase in the minimum wage is hitting low-skilled workers (and teenagers pretty much fit into that category) who are an economic burden to employers if they cannot produce enough to justify their pay.

I would like to also add that alot of teenagers are lazy as ****. The only reason alot of them look for jobs is that parents turn off the money spigot. I started working at 15 because I wanted to work and earn my own money. Its rare that you see that kind of drive anymore.

Is Anyone Shocked by High Teenage Unemployment? | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty

i laugh every time someone says "teenagers are lazy, except for when i was a teenager" as though they're somehow an exception, but no-one else is, contrary to popular opinion, teenagers are not lazy, and they want a job as much as everyone else, but the fact that they have very little experience, and the mistaken belief that they're lazy works against them, and perpetuates the situation.

I would like to also add that alot of teenagers are lazy as ****. The only reason alot of them look for jobs is that parents turn off the money spigot. I started working at 15 because I wanted to work and earn my own money. Its rare that you see that kind of drive anymore.

Is Anyone Shocked by High Teenage Unemployment? | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty

While I'm sure different areas' opportunities impact a teen's ability to get a job, I'm convinced that teens can get jobs -- if they want them. I don't know a great many teens, but those I do know either are working or don't want to work. (Sometimes much to their parents' chagrin.)

I live in suburban Chicago, so opportunities abound. That wouldn't be the case in smaller towns, more rural areas. In those areas, with a much more finite number of jobs, I'm sure people who ordinarily wouldn't work for minimum-wage jobs are settling for them...crowding out teens.

I'd also like to know where these 'stats' come from -- not your link -- but the stats in general that say the unemployment rate among teens is so high. I have to believe it's more anecdotal than anything else.

It's never good to generalize...."I would like to also add that alot of teenagers are lazy as ****." But it would be very boring on DP if we didn't. ;-)

Silly people, why should we care about Teenagers?

Teenagers obviously aren't Americans, so who gives a crap aobut them.

I come to this conclusion of course because we're always told illegal immigrants are doing jobs "American's Won't". Yet so often those are jobs I strongly remember myself or friends as teenagers regularly working because making minimum wage was perfectly adequette when I had no bills to manage or debt to deal with as a kid.

So, naturally, if illegals are doing jobs "American's won't", and many of those are jobs that Teenagers would previously fill and likely still would seeing the unemployment numbres, one can only conclude that teenagers aren't Americans.

Teen unemployment is higher because adults need the jobs more.

I worked as a teen, bought my own school clothes, what made me angry were the "child" labor laws that limit how many hours a teen can work.

As far as teens being lazy. I don't buy it. Some are and some aren't. Same can be said for adults.

Let's get real for a minute shall we? Teenagers are looking primarily for a few things... a party, a lay, the next cool thing (to get them into a party or laid). Granted not in that order necessarily ... and there are always exceptions to the rule. Second, if a teenager can get money from mom & dad, there's absolutely no reason to get a job unless they absolutely have to. Teenagers are inherently lazy - some fight it and get jobs, others do not and end up 38 years old living with mom & dad while still trying to "make it big" in a band. Teenagers have ALWAYS been lazy - it's never changed. The levels of lazy may fluctuate from decade to decade but teenagers are primarily the same.

Adults are lazy too - but they are forced to not be lazy because their responsibilities to others and themselves will force them to have jobs. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule as well.

Teen unemployment is higher because adults need the jobs more.
I worked as a teen, bought my own school clothes, what made me angry were the "child" labor laws that limit how many hours a teen can work.

As far as teens being lazy. I don't buy it. Some are and some aren't. Same can be said for adults.

This. My son had a job and was laid off because the adults and college students complained about not having enough hours. It was a pizza chain who hired about 15 high schoolers whom were all let go with the exception of two. During the summer college kids were given priority. If you don't hit places at just he right time it is hard to get on if you are a high schooler especially freshmen and sophmores.

Back
Top Bottom