• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is America morally obligated to spread Democracy?

Is America morally obligated to spread Democracy?

• Total voters

cpgrad08

American
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
So Eco got me thinking from another thread. Is America morally obligated to spread Democracy? I would have to say no it is not our job to do so.

I accidentally voted yes on my own poll :lol:

So Eco got me thinking from another thread. Is America morally obligated to spread Democracy? I would have to say no it is not our job to do so.

I accidentally voted yes on my own poll :lol:

No, you are not in any position to forcibly spread democracy. Although, when circumstances arise wherein a movement to establish a democracy in an autocratic country, the US has every right to aid those democrats.

tl;dr The US has no right to incite it, but has every right to support it.

And you should.

No, but when it more clearly serves the interests of the United States to do so (and many can make decent arguments for this to be the case), it ought to.

Nope. What system of government other nations choose to implement is of no concern to us. The only moral obligation those who create and carry out foreign policy have is to promote and advance the interests of the American people.

I'll vote no to balance out your yes.

Democracy is a stupid system of government. Sure, we're stuck with it but you can see that it isn't always the way to go. Why encourage it in others? We should - if we bother at all - push them toward and support a Meritocracy.

America doesn't have the power to spread democracy. At best, we can influences circumstances so that the locals can create a republic for themselves.

"Job" is the wrong word as is "democracy." Reword it to "freedom for the ordinary person" and you might get a yes from me, but not as our "job."

I'll vote no to balance out your yes. ... Democracy is a stupid system of government.

27228604.jpg

No, but yes; yes because it serves our interests to maintain peace, trade and hegemony.

America doesn't have the power to spread democracy. At best, we can influences circumstances so that the locals can create a republic for themselves.

Along with soft-power pressure.

No, but when it more clearly serves the interests of the United States to do so (and many can make decent arguments for this to be the case), it ought to.

This was my answer, but Fiddy said it first and better.

Back
Top Bottom