• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is america becoming a nation governed by aristocrats

presluc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The 99% Owe “A Debt of Gratitude” to the 1%: Harry Binswanger

By Morgan Korn | Daily Ticker – Tue, Sep 24, 2013 11:33 AM EDT

The 99% will not be happy with Harry Binswanger.
The former college professor and board member of the Ayn Rand Institute wrote an incendiarycolumn this month in Forbes, arguing that “the community should give back to the wealth-creators” and the world should be indebted to the rich and powerful for “their enormous contributions to our standard of living.”
Related: Top 1% Getting 95% of Income Gains: Is Washington Responsible?
Binswanger sat down with The Daily Ticker’s Aaron Task and Henry Blodget to defend his controversial views. He also reiterated his call that anyone who earns more than $1 million a year deserves an exemption from paying taxes, a “symbolic gesture” he notes, because the “great achievers” (individuals like Henry Ford, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Steve Jobs) “lifted us out of the cave and gave us our standard of living.” He also proposes that the highest earner of the year – maybe an investment banker, hedge fund manager or CEO – be given a Congressional Medal of Honor in return for his or her contribution to human life.
If millionaires do not pay taxes, do they still get the benefits of public assets, such as the military, firefighters, police officers, court of law and public schools? Watch the video above to see how Binswanger responds and check out who he ranks as the most influential person of all time: Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein or Mother Tere
sa.

At least it would seem so according to some people.
However, this is not Roman times and tribute is not demanded.
This ain't New York of the 20's where if you didn't pay tribute to the local Mafia boys your business was in trouble
This is America it seems like I heard this saying somewhere. America a democracy, land of equality, freedom and opportunity, not give to the rich because they've done so much for Americans .

Is this the same rich millionaires that went crying like a bitch to the taxpayers in 2008 about losing profits?
Is this the same millionaires that get frre research money from tax payerts just in case they might find something if they are looking , then if they do they charge the very taxpayers that paid for the research.

Is there a difference between private and public corporations cause the taxpayers seem to be paying for both.

Is America a true Democracy or should Americans start kissing the rings of millionaires /billionaires ,after they take tribute for paying taxes.
:peace

America has been a semi-aristocracy since its founding.

Paris Hilton is preluc's queen.

America has been a semi-aristocracy since its founding.

That is your opinion I respect that.

However I disagree perhaps in the beginning this was true but war changed America , many famous people and very financially set, fought and died in World War 2.

Many sacrifices were made in The Industrial Revolution on poor average and companies.:peace

That is your opinion I respect that.

However I disagree perhaps in the beginning this was true but war changed America , many famous people and very financially set, fought and died in World War 2.

Many sacrifices were made in The Industrial Revolution on poor average and companies.:peace

Who still controlled everything? Even afterwards under Eisenhower it was still an aristocracy.

Who still controlled everything? Even afterwards under Eisenhower it was still an aristocracy.

Well first of all EISENHOWER was a good president , in my opinion the last true conservative.

On the other hand the Kennedy's were leaders they were not part of the aristocratic crowd, Kennedy went toe to toe with American steel over priced gouging American steel lost.
Bobby Kenedy took on Hoffa and won the most influential man in the teamsters Union.
So I think you are looking at the government for aristocrats , when the true aristocracy is the CEOS and corporation and big business..
Who else could walk up to ther White House ask for 740 million cash from taxpayers and get it? :peace

That's plutocracy. Whether plutocrats are also aristocrats, I cannot tell. :)

That's plutocracy. Whether plutocrats are also aristocrats, I cannot tell. :)

Sounds more like theft to me, which aristocrats have been known to practice an old quote used by a rather famous aristocrat to the peasents starving she said "LET THEM EAT CAKE". This led to her losing her head literally:peace.

Sounds more like theft to me, which aristocrats have been known to practice an old quote used by a rather famous aristocrat to the peasents starving she said "LET THEM EAT CAKE". This led to her losing her head literally:peace.

Actually "aristocracy" means "rule of the best". Note, not rich, not privileged, not tricky, but best. Well, at least according to the ancient Greeks that is. :)

Actually "aristocracy" means "rule of the best". Note, not rich, not privileged, not tricky, but best. Well, at least according to the ancient Greeks that is. :)

AKA the word anient a lot as changed since then a lot has changed in the last 10 decades.
:peace

Back
Top Bottom