• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is a stay at Home mother a job?

Is a stay at home mother working, as in a job?

• Total voters

Bodi

Just waiting for my set...
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Is a stay at home mother really working?

Of course not. The entire notion is Politically Correct nonsense. She has the kids a couple of extra hours than a working father and then when the kids go to school she gets a big break in the day and gets to walk on the beach, do yoga, lunch with friends, etc.

What are your thoughts?

Wow... If there was a better :popcorn2: ready thread, please point it out.

There are threads that I read on here from time to time that make me wonder if they're making me dumber from having read them. And then there are threads like this that remove all doubt.

Of course not. The entire notion is Politically Correct nonsense. She has the kids a couple of extra hours than a working father and then when the kids go to school she gets a big break in the day and gets to walk on the beach, do yoga, lunch with friends, etc.

What are your thoughts?

Most Stay at Home Moms are SAHM's while their children are YOUNG - infants, toddlers, before-school years. Otherwise, they'd have to work and bring in enough to put the child in part time or full time childcare - or pay for a nanny. For me, that was a financial non-option because two of my kids were special needs. Further, when I was a working mom, I had so many issues with the daycare being run by horrid people who did things like put a blanket over my daughter's face so she'd sleep - I had quite enough.

Being a mother is a job - stay at home or not. It demands you be up at night, no sleep, etc. I think our country doesn't value the sacrifice enough.

How many times have I had to stop what I'm doing take a child to the hospital for stitches or near fatal conditions? Days in the PICU. Medicines and caring for sick children at home. One year we contracted Swine Flu and we were sick for TWO MONTHS - it was relentless. Employment and childcare wouldn't have been possible all those many many times. Me being there ALWAYS was a blessing, especially when my husband was deployed numerous times.

But when I was officially just a Stay at Home Mom, I renovated our house. I didn't just care for the kids and scrub floors. It wouldn't have been possible if I worked.

My husband worked - I did EVERYTHING else.

And now I've pursued a career that lets me work from home and brings in more than I ever earned before - and not a penny of it has to go to after school care for the younger kids or into the gas tank so I can drive to work. Thank god.

There are threads that I read on here from time to time that make me wonder if they're making me dumber from having read them. And then there are threads like this that remove all doubt.

No actual rebuttal... got it.

My husband worked - I did EVERYTHING else.

So a husband that works but does lots of work for the children before work and after work is really working two jobs then... right?

What are your thoughts?

Does your wife know about your secret life online?

I sure hope not! ;)

So a husband that works but does lots of work for the children before work and after work is really working two jobs then... right?

Family is a lot of effort. Both working moms and dads pull double duty - married or single. That's WHY dad and mom work - or whatever. **** in life must get done and parents must work or otherwise break up the required activities to make it happen. Raising a family and everything else takes time and effort. You're a working dad - don't you have a lot to deal with when you come home?

My sister lived in California for a long time and when her daughter was an infant they spent $2,000 a WEEK on childcare for a baby. Are you ****ing kidding me?

Does your wife know about your secret life online?

I sure hope not! ;)

Ex-wife... thank god. And it was her BPD and cheating that broke us up... not me talking to the likes of you. :lol: ;)

Rebut what exactly? You think stay at home moms don't actually do any work. I think you're wrong.

Straw Man. I never once made that claim. Next?

Straw Man. I never once made that claim. Next?
Really? Someone hack your account?

What are your thoughts?

What are your thoughts?

Is it a job? Jesus, God! It's probably the worst job in the world. It never ends and you are on constant stand-by. Work your ass off all day long and at night when you you finally sit down on the couch to relax someone shoves a dick in your face and asks if you wanna.

I wouldn't want to be a housewife for any amount of money.

You're a working dad - don't you have a lot to deal with when you come home?

Yes... but it isn't a job. It is fun. It is silly. It is easy. Always has been and always will be, I suspect.

Jobs are where you work hard and make money. You can get fired. Kids can't fire you... you can lock them in the closet, put them in front of the TV... heck, how many "working moms" have I seen at the park sitting on their phones not engaging with their children? LOTS.

My sister lived in California for a long time and when her daughter was an infant they spent $2,000 a WEEK on childcare for a baby. Are you ****ing kidding me?

$100,000 a year on child care? How rich are they? I can think of worse problems...

I wouldn't want to be a housewife for any amount of money.

Jeez... with this:

Is it a job? Jesus, God! It's probably the worst job in the world. It never ends and you are on constant stand-by. Work your ass off all day long and at night when you you finally sit down on the couch to relax someone shoves a dick in your face and asks if you wanna.

I thought you were.

What are your thoughts?
Isn't a stay at home mother cleaning, doing laundry, cooking and other tasks while the kids are at school? I have to wonder if you are being sarcastic or never taken care of any children,did house work or cooked anything.

Look at it this way: When you want someone else to do the same work taking care for your kids, you'd have to pay him/her quite a lot on the job market, right?

What are your thoughts?
I think of stay at home moms as those who take care of kids, get them ready for school, drive them to activities, clean the house, cook the meals, do the grocery shopping, do the laundry, etc. It's basically a combined nanny, housekeeper, cook, personal assistant. Since you'd pay somebody to do all of that if you had the money and didn't have a wife, I'd say sure, it's a job.

Now if you're the type of "stay at home mom" who has a nanny and a housekeeper, and so goes to yoga and has brunches . . . no, you don't have a job.

How many people with "real jobs" spend much of their day browsing the internet, chatting with colleagues, reading magazines, etc.? I think except for BigLaw lawyers, doctors, entry-level finance types, and some types of manual laborers, there is not much difference in the amount of labor or "work" performed by stay at home moms and other workers, IMO.

Last edited:

What are your thoughts?
If it were really a job, stay at home moms would be able to pay taxes on their income.

:lamo

Yes... but it isn't a job. It is fun. It is silly. It is easy. Always has been and always will be, I suspect.

sometimes it's fun and silly - but I have 4 children. Between homework, social issues, psychological and physical issues for my special needs kids, routine care and medications, sicknesses . . . a lot of parenting is stressful and exhausting. On top of that is food every day, all the routine chores that come with life.

Right now our oldest who is unable to drive will be graduating and turning 18 - what will he do for a living if he can't even cope with driving? Parenting sometimes doesn't end when kids grow up.

Most of what goes into living just isn't fun.

Jobs are where you work hard and make money. You can get fired.

This is an interesting point - my husband's job required him to be on call 24/7 so he could travel the world and take care of war and peace time threats. Trust me - sometimes being fired isn't the worst that can happen.

Kids can't fire you... you can lock them in the closet, put them in front of the TV... heck, how many "working moms" have I seen at the park sitting on their phones not engaging with their children? LOTS.

$100,000 a year on child care? How rich are they? I can think of worse problems...

The potential to be unemployed is NOT the only thing that makes work hard and you know that.

If you neglect your children the entire family suffers for it. I've known parents who couldn't handle it and had their children taken away from neglect. Just because you can't get 'fired' doesn't mean it's not hard work - that's like saying me renovating the home or nursing a husband through mental illness and endless surgeries wasn't hard work because I couldn't get fired.

Some kids are great. we have 4 kids and our daughter (3rd child) is just a breeze. She was easy to potty train, follows the rules. She enjoys being a good, smart kid. And if a family had one or five kids that are just like her I'm sure life feels awesome.

Count your blessings! And recall them when life turns sour. Years ago I didn't have an injured and ailing husband, my kids weren't on medications with extreme psychological issues, and we were all happier then. Life changes. (funny enough - life changed for the worst after I stopped being a SAHM. No correlation, I don't think.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom