• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is a stay at Home mother a job?

Is a stay at home mother working, as in a job?

• Total voters
I would not read this post of yours on your next first date with a woman were I you....unless the woman has few brain cells and/or no self esteem.

This is second date stuff after I hook her with some questions

Does she love my humour?
How often does she want to get nailed?

She has to be sexy and if she is there after I ignore her for a while I know I got a hot one.

Are you seriously comparing children to pets?

Nope. I was comparing your suggestion that since we pay child care workers for looking after kids then that means that stay at home mothers are working too... the paying part is what is relevant/.

And you don't think it's hard work?

You're lying to me, now, if you're saying that parenting isn't exhausting - worth it, yes. Exhausting - yes.

:)

Anyway - I'm glad you're seeing the brighter side of things and hopefully things continue to go well.

Exhausting? Seriously... not even close. I have to admit that I have two seriously well mannered and responsibly mature daughters for their age. My eldest will sit and read all day long if you let her and my younger will play make believe with some flowers and sticks all day long...

Nope. I was comparing your suggestion that since we pay child care workers for looking after kids then that means that stay at home mothers are working too... the paying part is what is relevant/.

I was making the point that the work "stay at home mothers" do in fact has a considerable financial value.

Unlike the work taking care for a pet, it's a kind of work that necessarily has to be done in a society, if said society has any interest in self-preservation. And stay at home moms even do it for free.

Is a stay at home mother really working?

Of course not. The entire notion is Politically Correct nonsense. She has the kids a couple of extra hours than a working father and then when the kids go to school she gets a big break in the day and gets to walk on the beach, do yoga, lunch with friends, etc.

What are your thoughts?

I would consider it working, but it's not a job perse. My mother is a stay at home mom, and she is definitely a hard worker. She usually tended to work the majority of the day as well.

Being a parent and having talked about this subject many times over the years, my thought is that the only reason we talk about it in this way is because of the changing economic landscape of what it means to be a parent. Decades ago it was feasible for one person to go to work and the person staying at home didn't really take much credit for it. Today there's credit for it because unless one partner is really raking it in, it's a real juggling act. Not to mention, if you're low income you might not be able to afford that pressure valve of child care to free up both the parents.

There's also high needs kids who really do need a parent there full time, at least in the beginning, forcing one of the parents to sacrifice their employment to be there. That was the case with one of my children. And hell yes it was a full time job... I love my son and I have no regrets but there were times I would have PREFERRED to go to a 9-5 because at least you know when you walk out the door your task is complete!

I was making the point that the work "stay at home mothers" do in fact has a considerable financial value.

Unlike the work taking care for a pet, it's a kind of work that necessarily has to be done in a society, if said society has any interest in self-preservation. And stay at home moms even do it for free.

Taking care of animals has a financial value for a society as well. Without pet owners animals would be running wild attacking people, ruining gardens and pooping all over the side walks. So pet owners work is also very valued... never really thought about it before.

Obviously... I lack empathy. That is me.

No doubt.

Isn't learning **** a way of saying learned nothing?

Yeah, it probably is. But I did learn that housewifing is not something I would ever want to do. I'd be horrible at it. Housework sucks like a bucket of ticks. I'd like to think I was a good father to my young children, but when the **** got thick I often passed the ball to my (ex) wife (who hated mixed metaphors). ;)

Yeah, it probably is. But I did learn that housewifing is not something I would ever want to do. I'd be horrible at it. Housework sucks like a bucket of ticks. I'd like to think I was a good father to my young children, but when the **** got thick I often passed the ball to my (ex) wife (who hated mixed metaphors). ;)

A very colourful post... bucket of ticks, **** getting thick and passing the ball. :lol:

I housewife and I am good at it... but no matter how hard some find it it is not a job... that's all I sayin'.

Think about it this way....

You're the father who goes off to work from 8 to 5. Your wife stays at home -- she gets the kids ready for school, takes them to school, washes and puts away a few loads of laundry, keeps up with the finances, walks the dog, picks up the kids from school, feeds them, helps them with their homework.... and then you come home from work.

If your wife, for some reason, was no longer there -- how much money would you have to pay for someone to do all the work she did while you were away?

It's a job.

If you remember I am a single father so I take them to the hospital, the doctor, I pick up all their medications, and I argue on behalf of all of them when things go wrong, I cook dinner and do the grocery shopping, I do the laundry and the cleaning and lawn care, when they have issues (like needing to be placed in a mental care instituion) I'm the one to take care of all of that. I renovate and build shelving too. I am up late wit hthem when they are sick and take them to school and take them to buy clothes or art supplies AND I have a full time job. ;)

So you really have TWO full-time jobs.

No. All that is being a housewife. Like you said, the kids are at school.
While the kids are at school the mother is most likely cleaning house, doing laundry, preparing meals and other things.

Of course not. The entire notion is Politically Correct nonsense. She has the kids a couple of extra hours than a working father and then when the kids go to school she gets a big break in the day and gets to walk on the beach, do yoga, lunch with friends, etc.

What are your thoughts?

If she doesn't get a W2 with her money every week she's probably just an independent contractor.

:lol:

:lamo

Yep.

If there's anything ex-wives hate about their ex-husbands, it's mixed metaphors!

I hear it all the time!

What are your thoughts?

This can't end well

Think about it this way....

You're the father who goes off to work from 8 to 5. Your wife stays at home -- she gets the kids ready for school, takes them to school, washes and puts away a few loads of laundry, keeps up with the finances, walks the dog, picks up the kids from school, feeds them, helps them with their homework.... and then you come home from work.

If your wife, for some reason, was no longer there -- how much money would you have to pay for someone to do all the work she did while you were away?

It's a job.
Pay?

What makes you think we'd pay?

We'd hook-up quick with another women, or teach the little buggers to do without & grow-up fast!

On their way out the door in the morning, I'd fortify them with: "Back in the old country, your grandfather walked 4 miles to school everyday in the winter snow with holes in his shoes - now hop on those bikes kiddies, and pedal hard"!

And there you go!

:mrgreen:

I was a stay at home dad for 10 years during which time we had three kids...I dont say it is a job, I say it is taking care of the family. Even with all of the labor savings from technology it is a busy time. Hopefully the family usually gets a home cooked meal, and that takes some serious time still.

I am getting a sniff of sourness that the spouse minding the kids and the home does not work hard enough, which is BS. It is not the work put in that matters, it is the quality of the product produced that does, and we have a much better chance of growing great adults when the parents are not stressed darting around being busy all day.

Try to keep your eye on the ball man.

That said these housewives who dont have particularly busy days even if they do all of the work in the home leaving some and demanding that the husband "pitch in" because they read somewhere that men need to do more housework need a serious tune up. (in the head of course, they need it explained to them that the cleaning and laundry are their jobs, as well as the cooking unless he wants to cook). And guys who work all day then do some housework after when they should be relaxin because the stay home wife cant manage....these fools I dont even want to know. I have known more of these chumps than I want to.

Being a parent and having talked about this subject many times over the years, my thought is that the only reason we talk about it in this way is because of the changing economic landscape of what it means to be a parent. Decades ago it was feasible for one person to go to work and the person staying at home didn't really take much credit for it. Today there's credit for it because unless one partner is really raking it in, it's a real juggling act. Not to mention, if you're low income you might not be able to afford that pressure valve of child care to free up both the parents.

There's also high needs kids who really do need a parent there full time, at least in the beginning, forcing one of the parents to sacrifice their employment to be there. That was the case with one of my children. And hell yes it was a full time job... I love my son and I have no regrets but there were times I would have PREFERRED to go to a 9-5 because at least you know when you walk out the door your task is complete!

This is true. I knew someone who had to quit her job to stay with her autistic kid, then tried to reenter the workforce in her 40s. She wasn't in any way trying to mooch off a wealthy husband or the government. Have to give her respect for making the effort on both ends

Not that i ever wish to tell others what to do with their lives. Just don't pretend that if you stay at home all day or socialize while the spouse and kids are gone that it's a job. That's just insulting to people who slave away at jobs they can barely tolerate

It is not the work put in that matters, it is the quality of the product produced that does,

lol try using this excuse at an actual job, especially a production oriented one. These days companies will gladly take a higher error rate to save $. This is why we get everything from china now

i'm not saying there's not actual work to keep a family and a house functioning, but guess what, some people do all that AND make a living. In fact, the vast majority of the world has to do this. You should know that 2 hours a day making dinner and vacuuming doesn't remotely compare to slaving away for $10/hr at some temp job, or working for NASA, or anything in between

lol try using this excuse at an actual job, especially a production oriented one. These days companies will gladly take a higher error rate to save $. This is why we get everything from china now

i'm not saying there's not actual work to keep a family and a house functioning, but guess what, some people do all that AND make a living. In fact, the vast majority of the world has to do this. You should know that 2 hours a day making dinner and vacuuming doesn't remotely compare to slaving away for $10/hr at some temp job, or working for NASA, or anything in between

I have no clue why I would want taking care of the home and family to be comparable to slaving away. So long as the housewife is not bored and thus neurotic I dont care how many hours of works she logs so long as she is happy, the kids are doing well, and the work gets done.How many hours she "slaves away" is the wrong yardstick for the job being measured.

What are your thoughts?

The vote is still out on that. But as jobs go, it would probably be an illegal one, considering it is 24/7 for years.But, if it were a job, who should pay and how much?

Not really the same thing as a job under the most prevalent definition.

Is she working? Hell yes.
Is it a job? Not unless she was hired and/or is being paid for it.

Back
Top Bottom