• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is a fetus a human being?

Donkey1499 said:
This is true. There is no right/wrong in science. (Except that there is right way to use a bunsen burner and a wrong way to use it [this is just and example]. But that is merely just a safety precaution. But I don't believe that there are ANY morals in science. If there were, then science couldn't be... credible... perhaps?
Nope. If m,orality had to be imposed on scientific facts, then they wouldn't be proven facts any longer.
But what the Hell would I know? I've only got HS biology, chemistry, and marine biology under my belt.)
Yes, you obviously don't really get science, per your above remark.

shatteredxdreams8 said:
Getting an abortion and murdering someone is basically the same, either way you are taking away the rights of another person to live. I mean why should it be ok for a mother to kill their child before the child is born, but after the child is born for them to kill it and then it is a murder? tell me what is the difference, a child is a child regardless if they are born or not.
String up the guy who does the dirty work for the money. Have a little mercy and compassion for a tormented woman or girl who is often the victim of bad advice and family scorn. She will have to suffer with her choice for the rest of her life.

Are you willing to cast the first stone?

Fantasea said:
Science takes no part in the argument, simply establishing the fact that all human life is the same.
It doesn't, so you are again LYING
It commences at conception and, if uninterrupted, continues for many decades until natural death.
Another lie, among others per the sperm and egg living before conception.
In order to justify aborting unborn children in the womb,
"Unborn children" is as much nonsense as "pre-dead corpses." That aside, the justification for abortions is the woman's right to control her own body. As such, all your claims are just more lies, not unexpectedly, as you seem to lie most of the time.

shatteredxdreams8 said:
Getting an abortion and murdering someone is basically the same, either way you are taking away the rights of another person to live.
Your claim is false.
I mean why should it be ok for a mother to kill their child before the child is born,
That wouldn't be a child. That would be an embryo or fetus.
a child is a child regardless if they are born or not.
Nope, your claim is a lie.

Those whom you cannot refute, you mock. That's typical of the pro-death crowd and their apologists.

No. I mock morons who claim Dogs and Cats are primates. Do you think they are primates? The "doctor" in your artical did. I don't have to refute such nonsense.

No. I mock morons who claim young adults aren't self aware. Your "doctor" said they aren't. She isn't even a real doctor.

All you keep saying is that those on your side of the question have the right and the authority to declare, on the basis of non factual, philosophical assessments, that some humans are persons and some humans are non-persons. This is pure, unadulterated, nonsense.

APparently, you didn't even read the article, or you would have seen she was full of it. Dogs...Cats...Pigs...Primates? How are they primates!
Your article admits personhood is Philosophical, not science. Science itself IS a philosophy.

Science takes no part in the argument, simply establishing the fact that all human life is the same. It commences at conception and, if uninterrupted, continues for many decades until natural death.

You are right in that science takes no part in the argument, philosophy does. All life is not the same. YOu have life with a brain and life w/out a brain. It's highly disrespectful to people to claim they are equal to someone without a brain. Nice.

In order to justify aborting unborn children in the womb, the pro-death crowd struggles to make a convincing argument that the product of conception, while alive and human for the first two trimesters of its existence, is nevertheless, a non-person during that period.

Emotional rhetoric used to poison the well. "pro-death" is a clever ploy, but not logically valid. It is a non-person, depending on the critera, which is totally the realm of PHILOSOPHY, not science. Science cannot determine personhood--it's not it's job.

Who believes that? Probably no one; themselves included. However, that is the stance they have chosen to uphold the righteousness of abortion and they are stuck with it. Simply put, they have a tiger by the tail and they can't let go.

Actually, quite a lot of professionals believe it in philosophy and science. Of course, few in reality believe that Dogs and Cats are primates, as does the person who wrote your article, haha.

Long ago, the pro-death crowd turned the argument into a political tug of war. If the past half dozen federal elections prove anything, it's that the electorate continues to lose its taste for Pro-Choice politicians. Every two years, their number shrinks as fewer are returned to office.

Nonsense. Keep doding the incredibly false statements made in your article.

steen said:
Your claim is false.
That wouldn't be a child. That would be an embryo or fetus.
Nope, your claim is a lie.
:rofl
:roll:​
:doh​

Technocratic_Utilitarian said:
No. I mock morons who claim Dogs and Cats are primates. Do you think they are primates? The "doctor" in your artical did. I don't have to refute such nonsense.

No. I mock morons who claim young adults aren't self aware. Your "doctor" said they aren't. She isn't even a real doctor.

APparently, you didn't even read the article, or you would have seen she was full of it. Dogs...Cats...Pigs...Primates? How are they primates!
Your article admits personhood is Philosophical, not science. Science itself IS a philosophy.

You are right in that science takes no part in the argument, philosophy does. All life is not the same. YOu have life with a brain and life w/out a brain. It's highly disrespectful to people to claim they are equal to someone without a brain. Nice.

Emotional rhetoric used to poison the well. "pro-death" is a clever ploy, but not logically valid. It is a non-person, depending on the critera, which is totally the realm of PHILOSOPHY, not science. Science cannot determine personhood--it's not it's job.

Actually, quite a lot of professionals believe it in philosophy and science. Of course, few in reality believe that Dogs and Cats are primates, as does the person who wrote your article, haha.

Nonsense. Keep doding the incredibly false statements made in your article.
Your attempts at bending, twisting, and torturing the truth fail at every turn.

Struggle as you may, you cannot justify the snuffing of unborn children in the womb.

Your source is not credible, and you keep ignoring it in favour of ad hominems against me. I am not twisting anything, and I pointed out why. Stop lying troll. Your source is a diatribe from some retarded Catholic who is too stupid to take seriously. Why?

For everyone in this thread, I will demonstrate the quality of source material Fantasy Girl uses to "refute us."

Statements in Article:

1. Science is what should govern decisions in ethics--she prides herself on being "scientific" and everyone else isn't. THen, however, she states these gems:

1. Pigs and Dogs are "higher primates," and thus have personhood. Not only is this scientifically inaccurate, it's a complete strawman of ethical theories. No theory of ethics claims this. This is the exact quote, both inaccurate scientifically and a logical strawman of the positiosn she's attacking:

therefore they should be substituted for the higher primates, e.g., dogs, pigs, gorillas, etc. - who are persons

Since when are dogs and pigs primates? Oh wait! They aren't. Your source is lying deliberately in order to convince the audience.

2. If sentience is a governing factor for personhood (ability to experience and feel pain), then teens cannot be considered persons, as well as newborns. feel pain. Wtf? DId you scrape the bottom of the barrel searching for these sources, or are you just a dishonest twat?

If either "sentience" (the ability to feel pain and pleasure) or "rational attributes" (willing, choosing, loving, self-consciousness, the ability to relate to the world around us, etc.) are the rationale for human "personhood", then newborns, young children, Alzheimers and Parkinson patients, alcoholics, drug addicts, street people, runaways, the mentally ill and retarded, the depressed, the frail elderly, comatose patients, paraplegics and other patients with paralysis, patients in a persistent vegetative state - perhaps even teen-agers or politicians - (to name but a few) are not "persons" either, and thus, by the same logic, could be "disposed of" or experimented on at will. In

A. Foremost, the idiot who wrote this ratcrap article is actually arguing that people in a vegetative or perma-comatose state with liquid brains deserve human rights like someone who is normal. That's absurd. You can be living off of your brainstem, and still qualify as a person according to this asshat.

B. She then claims that anyone who is mentaly ill or retarded can be disposed of at will. This is false, and a complete distortion of many ethical positions. Mental retardation does not = dispose of. It depends on the severity.

B. Runaways? What the hell? Total nonsequitor. Runaways have nothing to do with personhood. SHe's an imbecile.

C. Young children? Teens? They are persons too, according to the REAL critera, not the bogus, strawmen put up by this argument.

D. Street people? Has nothing to do with autonomy and self-awareness. It's obvious they are aware, since they are asking you for money. Shut up dumbass.

E. Teens and politicians? Please, this article is laughable.

Essentially, the article is lying about:

1. Personhood
2. Criteria for personhood (Love is not a factor, unlike what she says.)
3. Consequences of personhood

-----------------------------------------------

3. However, when a human embryo or human being begins is strictly a scientific question, and should be determined by scientists. When a human person begins is a philosophical question.

This clearly refutes Fantasy-girls bullcrap statement denigrading Personhood concepts and her call for science. Personhood is not science, but philosophy. Ethics is not science, but philosophy. Fantasy-girl consistantly IGNORES her mistake, yet continues to repeat the same crap like a retarded parrot. SCIENCE CANNOT DETERMINE MORALITY! GET IT! so stop saying "prove" ethics scientifically.

It's easy to justify; you just don't agree. Creationists don't agree with evolution either. I don't give a shi.t, really.

Last edited:
Your source is not credible, and you keep ignoring it in favour of ad hominems against me. I am not twisting anything, and I pointed out why. Stop lying troll. Your source is a diatribe from some retarded Catholic who is too stupid to take seriously. Why?

For everyone in this thread, I will demonstrate the quality of source material Fantasy Girl uses to "refute us."

Statements in Article:

1. Science is what should govern decisions in ethics--she prides herself on being "scientific" and everyone else isn't. THen, however, she states these gems:

1. Pigs and Dogs are "higher primates," and thus have personhood. Not only is this scientifically inaccurate, it's a complete strawman of ethical theories. No theory of ethics claims this. This is the exact quote, both inaccurate scientifically and a logical strawman of the positiosn she's attacking:

therefore they should be substituted for the higher primates, e.g., dogs, pigs, gorillas, etc. - who are persons

Since when are dogs and pigs primates? Oh wait! They aren't. Your source is lying deliberately in order to convince the audience.

2. If sentience is a governing factor for personhood (ability to experience and feel pain), then teens cannot be considered persons, as well as newborns. feel pain. Wtf? DId you scrape the bottom of the barrel searching for these sources, or are you just a dishonest twat?

If either "sentience" (the ability to feel pain and pleasure) or "rational attributes" (willing, choosing, loving, self-consciousness, the ability to relate to the world around us, etc.) are the rationale for human "personhood", then newborns, young children, Alzheimers and Parkinson patients, alcoholics, drug addicts, street people, runaways, the mentally ill and retarded, the depressed, the frail elderly, comatose patients, paraplegics and other patients with paralysis, patients in a persistent vegetative state - perhaps even teen-agers or politicians - (to name but a few) are not "persons" either, and thus, by the same logic, could be "disposed of" or experimented on at will. In

A. Foremost, the idiot who wrote this ratcrap article is actually arguing that people in a vegetative or perma-comatose state with liquid brains deserve human rights like someone who is normal. That's absurd. You can be living off of your brainstem, and still qualify as a person according to this asshat.

B. She then claims that anyone who is mentaly ill or retarded can be disposed of at will. This is false, and a complete distortion of many ethical positions. Mental retardation does not = dispose of. It depends on the severity.

B. Runaways? What the hell? Total nonsequitor. Runaways have nothing to do with personhood. SHe's an imbecile.

C. Young children? Teens? They are persons too, according to the REAL critera, not the bogus, strawmen put up by this argument.

D. Street people? Has nothing to do with autonomy and self-awareness. It's obvious they are aware, since they are asking you for money. Shut up dumbass.

E. Teens and politicians? Please, this article is laughable.

Essentially, the article is lying about:

1. Personhood
2. Criteria for personhood (Love is not a factor, unlike what she says.)
3. Consequences of personhood

-----------------------------------------------

3. However, when a human embryo or human being begins is strictly a scientific question, and should be determined by scientists. When a human person begins is a philosophical question.

This clearly refutes Fantasy-girls bullcrap statement denigrading Personhood concepts and her call for science. Personhood is not science, but philosophy. Ethics is not science, but philosophy. Fantasy-girl consistantly IGNORES her mistake, yet continues to repeat the same crap like a retarded parrot. SCIENCE CANNOT DETERMINE MORALITY! GET IT! so stop saying "prove" ethics scientifically.

It's easy to justify; you just don't agree. Creationists don't agree with evolution either. I don't give a shi.t, really.
If you keep going on like this you may have a siezure. Wouldn't that be terrible?

Here. Refute this.

is it a 'life' or a 'choice'?

© copyright James N. Watkins. All rights reserved.

Excerpt:

"Pro-choice" arguments

"'Fetal tissue' is no more a human being, than a bolt is a Buick."​

Those who argue that abortion does not kill human life must have skipped high school biology, never picked up a medical book, or else are deliberately lying. Virtually every secular medical book and even a senate hearing declare human life begins the instant of conception.

A report from Senate Judiciary Committee S-158, 1981 reads: "Physicians, biologists and other scientists agree that conception marks the beginning of the life of a human being--a being is alive and is a member of the human species. There is overwhelming agreement on this point in countless medical, biological, and scientific writings."

A split second after conception, this one-celled forty-six-chromosomed human being possesses everything it needs to grow into an adult human except time.

It's not a blueprint of a human being. It's not a part of a human being. It is a human being. Never has a bolt grown into a Buick!

The person who wrote the source is a Dr. meaning that he has a medical degree. Correct? Then you can't dismiss his credibility based on the absurd notion that he's Catholic. It wouldn't matter if he was Christian/Buddhist/Atheist/Muslim etc. His personal religious background is irrelevant to what he said. I believe you have once again committed one of your fallacies.

Just like I don't take into consideration the fact that you openly admit you like to be sodomized (hence your sig) into your arguments, I don't care if this guy is Catholic.

So, do you or do you not recognize that your source is completely inaccurate, yet claims to be accurate "science?" Do you think a pig is a primate? Your source does.

The person who wrote the source is a Dr. meaning that he has a medical degree. Correct? Then you can't dismiss his credibility based on the absurd notion that he's Catholic. It wouldn't matter if he was Christian/Buddhist/Atheist/Muslim etc. His personal religious background is irrelevant to what he said. I believe you have once again committed one of your fallacies.

Just like I don't take into consideration the fact that you openly admit you like to be sodomized (hence your sig) into your arguments, I don't care if this guy is Catholic.
Today 02:31 PM

No. That's not correct. The source is a doctor, but doctor can refer to psychologist, anthropologist, philosophy major, or historian. YOu can be a doctor of philosophy, doctor of history, doctor of biology etc. In the article, it specifically mentions the author has no real science credentials; she's a philosophy major that heads the catholic bioethics league.

The fact she's catholic belies the ignornance of science in the artical and the dishonesty of her position.

My banner changes all the time, depending on my mood. I haven't been sodomized in my life, so if you were to say something about it, I wouldn't care. It's just a banner.

Fantasea said:
If you keep going on like this you may have a siezure. Wouldn't that be terrible?

Here. Refute this.

is it a 'life' or a 'choice'?

© copyright James N. Watkins. All rights reserved.

Excerpt:

"Pro-choice" arguments

"'Fetal tissue' is no more a human being, than a bolt is a Buick."​

Those who argue that abortion does not kill human life must have skipped high school biology, never picked up a medical book, or else are deliberately lying. Virtually every secular medical book and even a senate hearing declare human life begins the instant of conception.

A report from Senate Judiciary Committee S-158, 1981 reads: "Physicians, biologists and other scientists agree that conception marks the beginning of the life of a human being--a being is alive and is a member of the human species. There is overwhelming agreement on this point in countless medical, biological, and scientific writings."

A split second after conception, this one-celled forty-six-chromosomed human being possesses everything it needs to grow into an adult human except time.

It's not a blueprint of a human being. It's not a part of a human being. It is a human being. Never has a bolt grown into a Buick!

This is a stawman. No one is arguing human life doesn't begin at conception--if someone is, he's wrong. Dog life begins at conception too. That doesn't mean we ought to treat the blob of brainless tissue as equal to a born dog. The blob has no characteristics worthy of treatment as the end product.

You are harping on something upon which we agree. I don't need to refute something I agree with. I disagree in that I don't feel all human life is equal--biologically...it's not. A man born with only a brainstem, whose a drolling, permanently unsconscious bag of flesh is not worth human rights attributed to him.

You still have failed to recognize that your source is A. Inaccurate or B. Lying. It is doing one of them. You merely gloss over it and say "refute this!" For once I would like you to recognize it.

Last edited:
Well, I'd certainly say that the, "blob brainless tissue" is much more valuable than a full grown dog because that blob will become a human brain in just a matter of time. I don't know why you never want to take time into consideration.

George_Washington said:
The person who wrote the source is a Dr. meaning that he has a medical degree. Correct?
No. The person is NOT an MD.

Hey steen...did you see the funny article she put up? Hahah...apparently, the document is nobel prize worthy, since pigs and dogs are now considered higher primates by it :lol:

Quick! Call the NSA!

Hey steen...did you see the funny article she put up? Hahah...apparently, the document is nobel prize worthy, since pigs and dogs are now considered higher primates by it :lol:

Quick! Call the NSA!
The ignorant creationist morons site and dream up so much stupid **** that it isn'ty even worth it dealing with their lies. As they care nothing for actual evidence, even trying to prove anything is pointless. They have decided to lie about it, and that is that. So they lie. Continuously and pervasively do they lie. That is what they do. Fish swim, ants crawl, and creationists, IDers and many fundies, they lie. That is in their nature, that is what they do.

Life begins at conception. That's an opinion, therefore it's impossible for you to prove me wrong.

The fact that it is an opinion does not lead to the conclusion that it cannot be proven wrong. That's absurd. One can believe anything--that doesn't mean it's sacrosanct. Opinions aren't sacred cows.

The fact that it is an opinion does not lead to the conclusion that it cannot be proven wrong. That's absurd. One can believe anything--that doesn't mean it's sacrosanct. Opinions aren't sacred cows.

There are, in fact, some things that just can't be proven and are simply a matter of opinion and interpretation. This is why we'll always need philosophy no matter how far we progress in science.

True, but not every opinion is true by default or unfalsifable by definition of being an opinion--that's all I am saying.

True, but not every opinion is true by default or unfalsifable by definition of being an opinion--that's all I am saying.

You're right. Some opinions can be proven wrong. If I say "The Sox will win tonight." That's an opinion that might be proven wrong after the game, but some opinions can't be proven wrong, such as "Life begins at conception.".

mpg said:
Life begins at conception. That's an opinion, therefore it's impossible for you to prove me wrong.
It's quite a bit more than an opinion. There's not a biology text that does not confirm it.

mpg said:
You're right. Some opinions can be proven wrong. If I say "The Sox will win tonight." That's an opinion that might be proven wrong after the game, but some opinions can't be proven wrong, such as "Life begins at conception.".
Ah, but as the sperm and egg are both alive, and therefore life is present BEFORE conception, the claim, be it an opinion or not, is outright false. IT is as false as claiming that "The sun revolves around the Earth." And as false as claiming that Pi = 3.0 Or as false as claiming that the Earth is flat.

You can have the OPINION that the Earth is flat and that the sun revolves around the Earth or that Pi is 3.0 but that still leaves it an outright falsehood.

So yes, opinions can be proven false, can be proven outright lies.

Therefore, the claim that life begins at conception is disproven by the FACT that the sperm and egg cells are alive.

So yes, your OPINION can be proven wrong.

Fantasea said:
It's quite a bit more than an opinion. There's not a biology text that does not confirm it.
Nope, you are lying. Biology textbooks show that life began around 4 bill years ago or a bit less.

Back
Top Bottom