• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IRS targets American Legion posts

Oozlefinch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
In it's latest display of arrogance and attacking any group seen as "Conservative", the IRS now has it's crosshairs set on the American Legion.

The American Legion claims it has been unfairly targeted by the Internal Revenue Service after the IRS accused some Legion posts of using non-regulation record-keeping methods for validating veteran status.The IRS requires veterans service organizations operating as 501(c)(19) charities to retain a copy of a member's DD-214 separation document to prove veteran’s status.
But Legion Legislative Director Louis Celli said the official handbook for veterans' groups published by the IRS makes no mention of 214s, and that the agency has never required them in the past.
"We don't understand why there is now this intense need to validate [status with DD-214s]," he told Military.com on Wednesday. "Even if we had them on file, we wouldn't turn them over to the IRS … they include Social Security numbers, dates of birth, place of birth. Sometimes they include medical information -- you don't want to give that to the IRS."
The IRS, in a statement released on Tuesday, said it could not comment on specific organizations or individuals, but denied veteran service organizations are being targeted.

American Legion Says IRS Unfairly Targeting Posts | Military.com

Now what kind of bull**** is this? I joined both the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars without a DD-214 at all, but a letter from my Commanding Officer saying I had been involved in operations overseas in support of OIF/OEF. And this is because you only get a DD-214 when you separate from the military and I was still on active duty. I had no DD-214 to show, and they said that was acceptable (especially since my CO was a member of the post and they knew she was a member in good standing).

This makes me wonder, is the IRS going to target the NAACP, to ensure that all members are "colored"? Or the JDL, to ensure all members are Jewish? And what about my wide, who is an associate member in her own right (with her own annual membership dues) who is of course not a veteran but the wife of a veteran?

And no surprise, the IRS is denying that they are targeting "Veterans Groups". Just like they denied targeting "Conservative Groups".

If this hadn't surfaced, I'm sure the VFW was next on the Obama hit list.

The American Legion has a little more political influence considering they have a larger membership than the VFW.

I think next Sunday morning I might head down to my old stomping grounds and hit my old VFW post. They have a Sunday breakfast and they whip up some good old #### on the shingles (SOS) just like we were served back in the Old Corps.

Back
Top Bottom