• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IRS on the chopping block on first day of legislative work under Speaker McCarthy

We are talking about two different things, I am talking about Republican intention to weaponize the debt limit.

"as Republicans inch their way closer to defaulting." Thats what Im talking about, one thing, defaulting.

You are actually talking about three different things, the IRS funding, defaulting, and now weaponizing the debt limit.

You 'people' still keep talking about the increased IRS force as if you believe they will be targeting the wealthy. The wealthy have accountants that follow the tax codes and utilize all the loopholes the fed has given them...that the fed isnt changing.

No...the IRS is increasing its staff to spy on YOU. They are tracking your yard sales, your online sales, any transaction over 600$. they are spreading their nets to anyone that owns a small business with transactions of as little as 10,000$ in a single year. The stated goal is to eliminate paper currency and track every dollar spent.

Normal conspiracy theory from you.

"as Republicans inch their way closer to defaulting." Thats what Im talking about, one thing, defaulting.

You are actually talking about three different things, the IRS funding, defaulting, and now weaponizing the debt limit.

Do not tell me, for me, what I am talking about. I am clearly talking about Republican intentions, and that is all I am talking about.

Once we get into a conversation about impacts and/or reasoning then you may find we agree if you bothered to ask.

You 'people' still keep talking about the increased IRS force as if you believe they will be targeting the wealthy. The wealthy have accountants that follow the tax codes and utilize all the loopholes the fed has given them...that the fed isnt changing.

No...the IRS is increasing its staff to spy on YOU. They are tracking your yard sales, your online sales, any transaction over 600$. they are spreading their nets to anyone that owns a small business with transactions of as little as 10,000$ in a single year. The stated goal is to eliminate paper currency and track every dollar spent.

Just pay your taxes Vance...and we wont have a problem. Comprende?

Republicans get control of the House and the first thing they do is cut the size of goverment. If they keep that up who knows, one day they could control the Senate and the White House too.
So, there really aren’t cuts being made per se.

Over the next five years the IRS will lose 50000 oit of 80000 due to retirement. The 87000 is meant to address that loss as well as normal job attrition.

According to an independent study and the not the government or the Biden administration. Just a study on what the IRS could spend the money on.

Also, audits continue to go down to .25% of the whole of the nation. The number of those making under 400k or mom and pop stores will remain the same for audits; the increase would come towards corporations and those making over 400k in terms of audits….if the manpower to do so is there.

While only .25% of the population is being audited…only 11% of that number is actually being contacted to be audited currently.

The point I’m making is that there isn’t really anything to cut as it doesn’t exist except for a monetary number.

Which, let us be honest; that number will simply shift to a budget line item that the right approves of.

So, there will be no actual cuts.

Do not tell me, for me, what I am talking about.

"We are talking about two different things"

But its ok for you for you to tell me what im talking about? You made some rhetorical post, which I responded to. That was my fault. Clearly you dont want to have a civil debate.

"We are talking about two different things"

But its ok for you for you to tell me what im talking about? You made some rhetorical post, which I responded to. That was my fault. Clearly you dont want to have a civil debate.

Would you agree that Republicans are simply protecting the wealthy with cuts to the IRS and will likely hold the nation hostage via the debt limit for their own gains, or otherwise?

Simple question about the motivations of Republicans.

Would you agree that Republicans are simply protecting the wealthy with cuts to the IRS and will likely hold the nation hostage via the debt limit for their own gains, or otherwise?

Simple question about the motivations of Republicans.

No, I dont agree that its that simple.

IRS on the chopping block on first day of legislative work under Speaker McCarthy

What does that really mean? Do they want to do away with the IRS and quit collecting taxes? Well, hardly:

That is 70 billion out of the 80 billion in new funding awarded last year. What was that extra funding for?

So, they want to cut back the money earmarked for preventing tax evasion. They must be in favor of more tax evasion, then.
this is nothing but a political "photo op."

nothing more.

Democrats - based on their long-standing record, going back decades - obviously want to ignore corporations and rich people and go after the little guy.

Just repeal the 16th amendment, and require each State to tax their citizens to provide their States share of what is required to fund the Federal government spending passed by the House and Senate members of Congress elected by the people.
Can’t figure whether “food fight” or “shit show” would be the better phrase to describe what would happen under that scenario.

No question that investigating yard sales is an IRS agent’s wet dream, what they most hoped for in public service.

Can’t figure whether “food fight” or “shit show” would be the better phrase to describe what would happen under that scenario.
What happens in the 42 States that already tax their citizens income?

Republicans in Congress are careerists who depend, both for campaign contributions and for post-Congress career prospects, on the same billionaires who have supported right-wing economic ideology for decades. They won’t stand up to the crazies and conspiracy theorists, but their own agenda is still tax cuts for the rich and benefit cuts for the poor and middle class.

What happens in the 42 States that already tax their citizens income?
They spend it as necessary. But assuming I understood your post and suggested course of action, having each state calculate what they owe the feds would bring chaos and intra-state recriminations. Reminds me of an old Bob and Ray comedy routine, where the bank announces to its depositors that they have lost all their records, but the problem can be resolved and money restored to their accounts if each customer tells the bank *honestly* how much they had deposited.

Your first paragraph shows remarkable naivete. You are implying that just because wealthy people can afford accountants, they don't cheat the system. They do. Donald Trump being a great example of such. The accountants do NOT audit the numbers they are given; they merely prepare returns from the information they are given.

Because the Republicans have chosen to starve the IRS, enforcement is way down, which translates to compliance being way down, which translates to money being left on the table.

The hires are not all new hires, nor are they all auditors.

The IRS is trying to improve overall customer service. Have you tried to call the IRS lately. It is not atypical to have hold times of several hours.

That is just bad customer service, which this bill should somewhat address.

Your second paragraph shows remarkable paranoia. Yes, compliance audits will be up overall, but the focus, like any good businessman, will be on those that are most likely to produce revenue... higher income taxpayers that hide behind complex returns, knowing they can be aggressive especially given the low risk of audit. There is no money in auditing grandma.

Last edited:
Democrats - based on their long-standing record, going back decades - obviously want to ignore corporations and rich people and go after the little guy.
There is no indication at all that the above is more than partisan nonsense made up out of nothing.

There is no indication at all that the above is more than partisan nonsense made up out of nothing.
Right. Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, minimum wage, the ACA, unemployment insurance, the right to organize, civil rights and equal pay laws. Nothing to see here.

Right. Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, minimum wage, the ACA, unemployment insurance, the right to organize, civil rights and equal pay laws. Nothing to see here.
That's how they "go after" the little guy?

That's how they "go after" the little guy?
I was being sarcastic in my first comment. In general, Democrats tend to pass laws and support policies that will benefit the class of people they represent - which have tended to be poorer - at times with the support of the GOP. And in general Republicans tend to pass laws and support policies - which have tended to be richer - at times with the support of Democrats.

They spend it as necessary. But assuming I understood your post and suggested course of action, having each state calculate what they owe the feds would bring chaos and intra-state recriminations. Reminds me of an old Bob and Ray comedy routine, where the bank announces to its depositors that they have lost all their records, but the problem can be resolved and money restored to their accounts if each customer tells the bank *honestly* how much they had deposited.
States would simply be told the amount they owed the Federal government. How each State acquired the money would be left to each individual State. I see no similarity at all to your Bob and Ray comedy routine.

Back
Top Bottom