• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IRS on the chopping block on first day of legislative work under Speaker McCarthy

States would simply be told the amount they owed the Federal government. How each State acquired the money would be left to each individual State. I see no similarity at all to your Bob and Ray comedy routine.
Until the states push back and there are lawsuits from each state every year.

Contest the amount the Feds say they owe.
Actually that would become a significant issue between the voters and their elected representatives.
State governments would simply be left to tax their citizens based upon the spending their voters representatives allowed to be passed by both Houses of Congress and their elected President.
That's how a Democracy works. And voters might become more involved in electing representatives who actually represent the majority view on issues.

What does that really mean? Do they want to do away with the IRS and quit collecting taxes? Well, hardly:
Do away with the IRS? Absolutely. Quit collecting taxes? No! We just need a fair and transparent tax system.

Do away with the IRS? Absolutely. Quit collecting taxes? No! We just need a fair and transparent tax system.
and a way to enforce payment. Tax cheats aren't going to say, "Hey, we have a fair and transparent system, so I'll quit cheating."

but yes, a more fair and transparent system would be a great idea.

There is nothing like bitching about deficits and then trying to hurt the IRS, that brings in the money.

I heard on the news that there are 25,000 taxpayers with incomes of $25 million or more and the total number of audit reviews was 66. We see exactly who the GOP is protecting.

Without the IRS who is going to check that your tax payments are correct or are you suggesting that we go on the honor system?

Without the IRS who is going to check that your tax payments are correct or are you suggesting that we go on the honor system?
That's actually a very goofy question. There would still be government offices to collect those taxes, It would just be a much simpler and more transparent tax system. Most tax payers could send in a form about the size of a post card.

and a way to enforce payment. Tax cheats aren't going to say, "Hey, we have a fair and transparent system, so I'll quit cheating."

but yes, a more fair and transparent system would be a great idea.
It's the ultra complicated IRS system that we are on now that is wide open to cheating. Simplifying the system would remove all of that.

That's actually a very goofy question. There would still be government offices to collect those taxes, It would just be a much simpler and more transparent tax system. Most tax payers could send in a form about the size of a post card.
That simplistic system is what's really goofy.

I've been hearing that for decades. A key marketing element of House Republicans’ repeated tax reform push was the notion that they would write a tax code so simple you could fill out your taxes on a postcard. We heard that from Paul Ryan and we heard it from conservatives in the Reagan Era. Ryan said, “We will consolidate the existing seven brackets into three, double the standard deduction, and simplify things to the point that you can do your taxes on a form the size of a postcard. This, instead of the 1040 form. Wouldn’t that be nice?” Here is Ryan's postcard tax form:

WM_graphic_website_handout_postcard.png

Note that on line 3’s it reference to “specified savings plans” is completely punting on the question of what the specified savings plans are.

The other is that in lines 9, 10, and 11, the form achieves simplicity by saying nothing at all about what the relevant credits are or who is eligible to claim them and in what quantity.

To make either of these provisions work, you would, in practice, need to work with some additional forms. The postcard would just be a starting point. The existing IRS tax compliance process essentially arrives at the same conclusion in reverse. For people with simple tax situations that don’t involve claiming these credits or making contributions to special tax-preferred accounts, you already don’t need to fill out Form 1040. Instead you use Form 1040 EZ

States would simply be told the amount they owed the Federal government. How each State acquired the money would be left to each individual State. I see no similarity at all to your Bob and Ray comedy routine.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I traced back to your message, and I believe you didn’t specify - as you do above - that the Feds would tell the states what they owe.

That simplistic system is what's really goofy.

I've been hearing that for decades. A key marketing element of House Republicans’ repeated tax reform push was the notion that they would write a tax code so simple you could fill out your taxes on a postcard. We heard that from Paul Ryan and we heard it from conservatives in the Reagan Era. Ryan said, “We will consolidate the existing seven brackets into three, double the standard deduction, and simplify things to the point that you can do your taxes on a form the size of a postcard. This, instead of the 1040 form. Wouldn’t that be nice?” Here is Ryan's postcard tax form:

WM_graphic_website_handout_postcard.png

Note that on line 3’s it reference to “specified savings plans” is completely punting on the question of what the specified savings plans are.

The other is that in lines 9, 10, and 11, the form achieves simplicity by saying nothing at all about what the relevant credits are or who is eligible to claim them and in what quantity.

To make either of these provisions work, you would, in practice, need to work with some additional forms. The postcard would just be a starting point. The existing IRS tax compliance process essentially arrives at the same conclusion in reverse. For people with simple tax situations that don’t involve claiming these credits or making contributions to special tax-preferred accounts, you already don’t need to fill out Form 1040. Instead you use Form 1040 EZ
What you just posted is far simply then most tax forms I have filled out. However it is just one proposal. I would simply it further......something along the lines of just paying a flat percentage of your income. Forget about deductions and tax credits. That could be done on a post card sized form.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I traced back to your message, and I believe you didn’t specify - as you do above - that the Feds would tell the states what they owe.
Per the Constitution, each State would owe a percentage of the Federal budget passed each year.

Back
Top Bottom