• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ironic Catch-22

Patrickt

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
My bank was bought out by a bigger bank so I'm dealing with new guys. I asked if they had an email address for customer service for people with physical problems that prevent using a phone. The politely responded with the 1-800 phone number. So, I was doing a little research on the law and went to the NAD, National Association for the Deaf, and tried to send an email asking if the law required handicapped access to customer service for the deaf.

I had to fill out a form for the internal email, asking for my name, address, email address, phone number. Phone number? I'm deaf. That's why I'm writing. I put n/a and the email was rejected. A phone number is required. So, I copied their phone number to the query form.

Irritating but funny.

My bank was bought out by a bigger bank so I'm dealing with new guys. I asked if they had an email address for customer service for people with physical problems that prevent using a phone. The politely responded with the 1-800 phone number. So, I was doing a little research on the law and went to the NAD, National Association for the Deaf, and tried to send an email asking if the law required handicapped access to customer service for the deaf.

I had to fill out a form for the internal email, asking for my name, address, email address, phone number. Phone number? I'm deaf. That's why I'm writing. I put n/a and the email was rejected. A phone number is required. So, I copied their phone number to the query form.

Irritating but funny.

Wonder how many times they'll call themselves before they realize they're calling themselves

Irritating but funny.

I was at a fast food drive through a little bit ago that offered a menu in braille.

Irritating but funny.

That's got to be very frustrating for you.

I always laugh when I drive up to the bank ATM and on the ATM it has a place to switch for braille. My blondness says - hey, if they are blind and need braille should you be driving? :)

That's got to be very frustrating for you.

I always laugh when I drive up to the bank ATM and on the ATM it has a place to switch for braille. My blondness says - hey, if they are blind and need braille should you be driving? :)

my mother in law is an octogenarian and legally blind (macular degeneration)
however, she received her renewal drivers license - twice
beware when driving through north carolina

I was at a fast food drive through a little bit ago that offered a menu in braille.

I had a meeting with some police officers and handicapped folks from our city to discuss how we could better serve the handicapped citizens. We had some good discussions and then a blinde guy asked Lt. Burr a question and he nodded. A woman in a wheelchair said, "I'll translate for you. The police officer is nodding his head up and down. Now the police officer is slapping himself on the forehead." Everyone laughed.

I had a meeting with some police officers and handicapped folks from our city to discuss how we could better serve the handicapped citizens. We had some good discussions and then a blinde guy asked Lt. Burr a question and he nodded. A woman in a wheelchair said, "I'll translate for you. The police officer is nodding his head up and down. Now the police officer is slapping himself on the forehead." Everyone laughed.

Your sense of humor is very cool.

Good for you.

Irritating but funny.

If your new bank does not get with the program think about using a credit union.
My experience is you get better service and it will cost you less with a credit union.

Best of luck

I've found that when dealing with blind people, if you just talk louder, they can hear you better.

There is a large DIY chaing around the UK (Wickes) which has a selection of how to leaflets which can be obtained in large print and braille. How to paint in Braille, how to wire a plug, how to put up a level shelf......

I've found that when dealing with blind people, if you just talk louder, they can hear you better.

Same with those that do not speak English.

If you yell louder, it is supposed to help them understand English better.

Irritating but funny.

How frustrating but smart thinking on your part to put their own phone number in the space.

Good luck

My roommate in college was deaf and he used a TTY to make and receive phone calls. I figured most deaf people did that. Was I wrong?

My roommate in college was deaf and he used a TTY to make and receive phone calls. I figured most deaf people did that. Was I wrong?
I worked as a 911 dispatcher one summer in college, and we had a TTY line. I only had to use it once. I guess deaf/mute people don't have much to say.

I worked as a 911 dispatcher one summer in college, and we had a TTY line. I only had to use it once. I guess deaf/mute people don't have much to say.

Can you be more rude and nasty?

What a jerk post.

Irritating but funny.

Some deaf people are not comfortable with written language and prefer to use sign. I would imagine that the phone number is for people who use relay or FaceTime or similar modes. However, you do bring up a good point. Some deaf people do not use the telephone for any reason. It should be that NAD would make the phone number optional. (I have a severe to profound bi-lateral loss.)

Irritating but funny.

They don't have a service like this in your state?

FTRI - Florida Relay

That happens when you drive the wrong way through a fast food window. You were coming from your local bar?

You may not know it but the term "deaf/mute" is often considered offensive. I can get all technical on terms and their meanings (deaf, Deaf, hard of hearing, hearing impaired, deaf/mute, deaf and dumb, deafblind) but I doubt most people want to know all that. But the fact is that most deaf people are not mute. That's a fact. If they don't use their voice it is highly likely that they choose not to. It doesn't mean they can't. Deaf people never refer to themselves as deaf/mute. It has a negative connotation.

There are many good reasons why deaf or hard of hearing people don't use 911. Hang ups are a primary reason. If you use a TTY there is a lag time before the conversation begins. Often the 911 operation will hear the dead air and hang up before the deaf person begins to use the TTY. It is a well know issue in the deaf community and it is or has been pretty much a national issue.

In an emergencies many deaf people run to get a hearing person to call 911. They don't trust the 911. I personally know of 2 deaf people who have died when a deaf caller experienced repeated hang ups to a 911 center. 911 administrators have worked hard to correct the problem but the problem still exists.

Another big issue is cell phones. Many relay centers do not have the technical ability to locate a 911 cell call within an identifiable range. The ability exists but it involves upgrades that cost. Also 911 calls don't yet work with texts from cell phones.

Finally, if personal experience and the experiences of your deaf friends and acquaintances tells you that since the beginning of time most telecommunications is not accessible to deaf people that's a lot of history telecommunications industry and services to overcome. Change hasn't happened overnight.

Finally Part II, almost every time, damn near every time, there is an upgrade in telecommunications technology it screws up connecting deaf communication technology. As an example word is they are having that problem now with the iPhone 7.

Last edited:
There are many good reasons why deaf or hard of hearing people don't use 911. Hang ups are a primary reason. If you use a TTY there is a lag time before the conversation begins. Often the 911 operation will hear the dead air and hang up before the deaf person begins to use the TTY. It is a well know issue in the deaf community and it is or has been pretty much a national issue.

In an emergencies many deaf people run to get a hearing person to call 911. They don't trust the 911. I personally know of 2 deaf people who have died when a deaf caller experienced repeated hang ups to a 911 center. 911 administrators have worked hard to correct the problem but the problem still exists.
Well, that's unfortunate. I can't remember us ever hanging up on anyone. If it was just a silent line, we'd still send police or deputies to see why they called 911. It can always be a case of someone hiding in a closet from an intruder or ex-husband and is too scared to make any noise.

And it's been a long time, so I don't remember the specifics, but we knew it was TTY when it came in. The system told us it was TTY and we had a special phone to use.

Here is some cool technology that hearing people can use and it's free. People who are hard of hearing use it. It's dead simple to use. Want to listen to a game in a loud crowded sports bar? Or when working out at the gym? Or when your spouse, significant other, is trying to sleep? The sound does not need to be on on the television you want to hear.

Tunity.com

If you try it let me know what you think.

Bad boy, BD. Just kidding. I'm actually hearing impaired. Have been for near 40 years. My loss is diagnosed as severe to profound (and now closer to profound). And actually my type of hearing loss causes me significant problem understanding language, no matter how loud. So louder doesn't mean better for me in a lot of situations. Example: You know how loud movie theaters can be. Crank it to the max and I still won't understand what people are saying.

But based on your theory, if I poke my eyes out, I might be able to hear better. ;)

Back
Top Bottom