• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IRL, I wonder if people know how stupid they sound...

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Yesterday we went to Tom's nephew's 5th birthday part at Chuck E. Cheese. It was very nice. Some 20 kids and half parents. Pizza and an arcade.

A woman sat next to us (one of the moms) and, as we visited, she said she home schooled her 7th grader. She was obviously very proud and talked about the things she'd had to learn as she went along . . . and a bit about the process.

I asked her how she made the decision to home school (since 4th grade), and she said she was always getting calls from the teacher that her son was disruptive. And that he just didn't like to follow rules.

"Like, for instance," she said, "he'd never write his name and class at the top of his papers. And he'd always get in trouble for that." THAT'S an important enough reason you use that as an example of why you decided to home school one of your kids? (She has two others in public school.) I said, "Well, at some point, he's going to have to learn to follow instructions and write his name at the top, yes?" She said, "Well, he doesn't have to do it in MY class, does he?"

I just smiled.

She shortly got up and moved.

Some people are screwballs.

Oh you have no idea, hon.

Try working in IT and the number of people who will try to impress you with their knowledge that end up obviously not knowing what they are talking about (here is a hint, computers are not nearly as elaborate as most people think they are, they are machines that follow very simple rules). Then they start digging that hole deeper and deeper...

They are the reason I learned the art of the fake smile and listen.

And it will do him no good when he has to go out in the world, and suddenly has to follow some rules.

It's ideas like this that make me wonder where this country will be in 25 years.... (1+1=3)

Try working in IT and the number of people who will try to impress you with their knowledge that end up obviously not knowing what they are talking about (here is a hint, computers are not nearly as elaborate as most people think they are, they are machines that follow very simple rules). Then they start digging that hole deeper and deeper...

My brother-in-law told me a long time ago, "Maggie, you're too damned smart. Start acting dumber. Or at least shut up. You'll get a whole lot more information from people that way."

He was right.

My brother-in-law told me a long time ago, "Maggie, you're too damned smart. Start acting dumber. Or at least shut up. You'll get a whole lot more information from people that way."

He was right.

I prefer it when someone admits that they don't know. Than I can give them a simple nontechnical explanation and they appreciate it or I can show them how to do something. Nobody cares how it works, I learned that a long time ago, but thats ok, its what gets me a paycheck, but they REALLY appreciate it when someone can make it simple.

Start acting dumber. Or at least shut up.

Yeah, I wish someone had told me that when I was younger. It would have saved me a lot of frustration, like getting the toughest assignments at work. And no boss wants the idiots to work overtime and do more damage

You think you've got it bad?

A couple of weeks ago I had three different people bring in leaves from their trees with various "problems" wondering what they should spray to make it go away.

It was only with deep regret that I had to inform them that their trees were starting to turn color for fall.

Yesterday we went to Tom's nephew's 5th birthday part at Chuck E. Cheese. It was very nice. Some 20 kids and half parents. Pizza and an arcade.

A woman sat next to us (one of the moms) and, as we visited, she said she home schooled her 7th grader. She was obviously very proud and talked about the things she'd had to learn as she went along . . . and a bit about the process.

I asked her how she made the decision to home school (since 4th grade), and she said she was always getting calls from the teacher that her son was disruptive. And that he just didn't like to follow rules.

"Like, for instance," she said, "he'd never write his name and class at the top of his papers. And he'd always get in trouble for that." THAT'S an important enough reason you use that as an example of why you decided to home school one of your kids? (She has two others in public school.) I said, "Well, at some point, he's going to have to learn to follow instructions and write his name at the top, yes?" She said, "Well, he doesn't have to do it in MY class, does he?"

I just smiled.

Yea there are some homeschooling disasters out there, but what do you make of this report?
Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College? - CBS News

Yea there are some homeschooling disasters out there, but what do you make of this report?
Can Homeschoolers Do Well in College? - CBS News

Please say you didn't cite an article that cited a "journal" published by a non-academic entity. You were just joking, and you really realize that this "study" had as its subject a single university from a single community, and that such a study does not help you to know anything at all about homeschooled students in general. Right?

I think that's awesome. Sangha's right. I wasn't commenting or implying anything at all about home schooling (that'd be a different thread). I was merely commenting on her poor reasoning skills. Hope she doesn't pass 'em on.

Me either, LOL. Or her lack of common sense. If her other kids do attend public school, my suspicion is that there's a lot more to the homeschooled kid's not liking to follow rules. ;)

I just smiled.

It seems an odd way to bring up a kid. The probability it can get through life without put its name on paper seems low and the earlier it learns that the smaller will be the damage, I would have thought.

It should be illegal to home-school your children unless you have legitimate credentials. Otherwise you'll have 18 year olds out there who are social misfits...or think God created <insert random thing/circumstance/theory here>.

I just smiled.

On ballance, however, I'm sure that boy will never be arested for holding a half eaten pop-tart like a gun, or wearing an NRA shirt.

A libertarian for more restrictions? Wierd. I favor some credentials for people that want to some school, but I can't argue that many are doing well in college. I think as percentages of society they do better then most, less crime, more productive so I think it's fine as is and wouldn't mess with it. Every kid that is home schooled has parents paying taxes for public schools....imagine if they all showed up for school? It'd be a financial crisis.

It should be illegal to home-school your children unless you have legitimate credentials. Otherwise you'll have 18 year olds out there who are social misfits...or think God created <insert random thing/circumstance/theory here>.

A libertarian for more restrictions? Wierd. I favor some credentials for people that want to some school, but I can't argue that many are doing well in college. I think as percentages of society they do better then most, less crime, more productive so I think it's fine as is and wouldn't mess with it. Every kid that is home schooled has parents paying taxes for public schools....imagine if they all showed up for school? It'd be a financial crisis.

Oh yeah, that's right...I'm an anarchist.

Most homeschoolers are not like that, and most homeschooled kids outperform public school kids in academics.

Just sayin'.

Please say you didn't cite an article that cited a "journal" published by a non-academic entity. You were just joking, and you really realize that this "study" had as its subject a single university from a single community, and that such a study does not help you to know anything at all about homeschooled students in general. Right?

You pass for the headline of this thread. I didn't call it a study, I didn't say it was from an academic journal, I didn't even defend homeschooling. I asked what she thought about an article. You know it's amazing how people sound sometimes, isn't it?

That sounds defensive.

I don't think Maggie was commenting about all home schoolers; Just one individual she encountered.

Oh no, not defensive at all. I read her post and out of curiosity googled "home schooling success", just to see if any general consensus was out there on the effectiveness of home schooling or if this lady was representative of the larger group. There seems to be a good amount articles that support homeschooling, so I asked the question. That's it.

I think that's awesome. Sangha's right. I wasn't commenting or implying anything at all about home schooling (that'd be a different thread). I was merely commenting on her poor reasoning skills. Hope she doesn't pass 'em on.

OK. I was just was clarifying if you were making a specific point or a general one.

BTW, I may be inclined to support parents right to educate their children in the school and environment of their choice, but I am also aware that it isn't for everyone to home school, it takes a special kind of parent to do well at that.

You pass for the headline of this thread. I didn't call it a study, I didn't say it was from an academic journal, I didn't even defend homeschooling. I asked what she thought about an article. You know it's amazing how people sound sometimes, isn't it?

Nice save.

Actually, I fear that that's exactly why she chose to home school... she knows better and wants to teach her kid accordingly.

OK. I was just was clarifying if you were making a specific point or a general one.

She was making a specific point but it had nothing to do with home schooling; It had to do with the mother being unconcerned about her child's difficulty in following directions.

A friend of mine is homeschooling both of her children, simply because the little boy has behavior issues. Nothing diagnosed - just misbehaves on a regular basis. Instead of actually making them behave, she pulled them both and is now home schooling them. SMH.

Back
Top Bottom