• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Iraqi WMD went to Syria source claims:

Did you read both of these articles before you posted them?

Do you think that the Iraq Survey group had access to this information?

Simon W. Moon said:
Did you read both of these articles before you posted them?

Do you think that the Iraq Survey group had access to this information?

First I said source claims, secondly the second artlicle uses quotes by the former head of the Iraq survey group claiming that he has good intel that WMDs went to Syria. Not massive stockpiles but incriminating evidence proving that Saddam did in fact violate the U.N. resolutions. I'm just wondering why don't people in the major media outlets go after these stories with the same feverish drive as they do trying to prove that Bush intentionally lied to lead us into a war for oil? Unbiased my ass bunch of freaking hypocrites if you ask me. This is a story that needs further investigation but will we get it? I doubt it.

http://www.2la.org/syria/wmd.html

Last edited:
Why isn't this in the news? Because the administration has claimed time and time again that the wmds grew legs and ran to Syria and Colin Powell claimed that there are satallite photos showing the weapons going to Syria but the administration refuses to release the satallite photos. In addition, the ISG concluded that the weapons had been destroyed in 1991 and that there was no evidence of an attempt to move anything to Syria.

In those articles, Dr. Kay states..."we know from some of the interrogations of former Iraqi officials." ( that Saddam moved WMD into Syria)

Well..gee...that sounds pretty damn convincing to me! ROTFL!

Let's invade Syria now!

It's been proven that Saddam would often show false reports,plans, secrets...etc...to his officials...just on the chance that if they were captured or defected, and were ultimately interrogated, that they would swear Saddam had WMD...etc.

Saddam wanted to look like a bad dude...someone not to be messed with. It was one of his ways of maintaining power.

Forgive me for being skeptical of any report that is based on "interrogations of former Iraqi officials."

Not many people are aware of Syria or the true issues throughout the Middle East.

The Syrians are treated very much like Iraqis were. There are feared to be mass graves. Reformacist inside Syria do not want American boots in their country, but they are outspoken for the agreeance with Bush foir the need to change. This doesn't sit well with the Baathist leadership that has been arresting up these individuals who want a better life and future for thei people.

The situation in Syria is very much a symptom of the decay inside the Middle East. Saddam and Bin Ladden were also a part of this decay. And people still search in vain for the how America has created all of the Islamic terrorists.:roll:

By the way....we have suspected since before the assault into Iraq that WMD was moved into Syria. Nothing new here.

"Forgive me for being skeptical of any report that is based on "interrogations of former Iraqi officials."

...or reports from your government and military. You seem more content with the reports that are offered up by the enemy and reports from countries that had their hands caught in the cookie jar.

Last edited:
GySgt said:
Not many people are aware of Syria or the true issues throughout the Middle East.

The Syrians are treated very much like Iraqis were. There are feared to be mass graves. Reformacist inside Syria do not want American boots in their country, but they are outspoken for the agreeance with Bush foir the need to change. This doesn't sit well with the Baathist leadership that has been arresting up these individuals who want a better life and future for thei people.

The situation in Syria is very much a symptom of the decay inside the Middle East. Saddam and Bin Ladden were also a part of this decay. And people still search in vain for the how America has created all of the Islamic terrorists.:roll:

By the way....we have suspected since before the assault into Iraq that WMD was moved into Syria. Nothing new here.
The problem is that Middle Eastern government, and thus the people hemselves, are NOT an open society...people here get the news from 700 sources and usually filter through what they want to hear...Over there, you get one choice shoved down your throat...other options are not available...

Some people hear have a hard time trying to visualize that, and they don't understand that the intelligence community has to jump through hoops to obtain information...and they expect them to be infallible...

Don't remember where, but an intelligence person once said, "Intelligence Analyzing is not a science...it's an art."...

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Yes, I knew it. It was my theory from the biginning that the WMDs where moved to Syria. I think the Bush admin. knows it too. So much time is spent in Iraq for an example to Syria.It was also my theory from the biginning that Syria is next.Our military could have came home at least a year ago. Our bases will stay permanent as a staging area for the next war.....Thanks for the link, I posted it on freerepublic.com

alienken said:
Yes, I knew it. It was my theory from the biginning that the WMDs where moved to Syria. I think the Bush admin. knows it too. So much time is spent in Iraq for an example to Syria.It was also my theory from the biginning that Syria is next.Our military could have came home at least a year ago. Our bases will stay permanent as a staging area for the next war.....Thanks for the link, I posted it on freerepublic.com

hay fellow freeper I'm a libertarian and a member of the free republic so atleast give me credit put this sight down as a place to find fact as opposed to bias.

Why isn't this story in the news?

Well... because the story has no merit really, and the "sources" aren't really credible. That's a good start.

But it also doesn't help that the credible sources on the issue have all said it never happened.

So... that'd be why. There are other reasons as well of course, but these two are the ones that scream "duh" to me.

Alastor said:
Well... because the story has no merit really, and the "sources" aren't really credible. That's a good start.

But it also doesn't help that the credible sources on the issue have all said it never happened.

So... that'd be why. There are other reasons as well of course, but these two are the ones that scream "duh" to me.

So the former head of the Iraq survey group isn't a credible source?:

In an exclusive interview with The Telegraph, Dr Kay, who last week resigned as head of the Iraq Survey Group, said that he had uncovered evidence that unspecified materials had been moved to Syria shortly before last year's war to overthrow Saddam.

"We are not talking about a large stockpile of weapons," he said. "But we know from some of the interrogations of former Iraqi officials that a lot of material went to Syria before the war, including some components of Saddam's WMD programme. Precisely what went to Syria, and what has happened to it, is a major issue that needs to be resolved."

try try again

So the former head of the Iraq survey group isn't a credible source?

I actually can't speak to that. I don't know anything about him; though I'll look this weekend.

I meant the site it appeared on - the one you cited.

hay fellow freeper I'm a libertarian and a member of the free republic so atleast give me credit put this sight down as a place to find fact as opposed to bias.
Sorry, I already posted and gave the site and author credit.Last i checked I got over 800 views. Repost it today and see how many hits it gets. It's a great way to get the story out. Since the media won't report it, it's up to people like us.

So the former head of the Iraq survey group isn't a credible source?:
I think this group could be just as credible as the UN inspectors. I remember the top Un inspector sayong that his primary goal is to stop a war before it happens.Doesn't sound like he was very impartial.

Alastor said:
I actually can't speak to that. I don't know anything about him; though I'll look this weekend.

I meant the site it appeared on - the one you cited.

If the head of the Iraqi survey group isn't a credible source then who is? Perhaps some beltway reporter that hasn't left D.C. in the past 20 years, come on now buddy.

If the head of the Iraqi survey group isn't a credible source then who is? Perhaps some beltway reporter that hasn't left D.C. in the past 20 years, come on now buddy.

Heh. Now that's funny. You quoted me and then completely ignored what I wrote, and addressed an issue I didn't raise, ignoring the one I did raise.

Here, I'll say it for you again:

"I actually can't speak to that. I don't know anything about him; though I'll look this weekend.

I meant the site it appeared on - the one you cited."

Alastor said:
Heh. Now that's funny. You quoted me and then completely ignored what I wrote, and addressed an issue I didn't raise, ignoring the one I did raise.

Here, I'll say it for you again:

"I actually can't speak to that. I don't know anything about him; though I'll look this weekend.

I meant the site it appeared on - the one you cited."

Fair enough.

... secondly the second artlicle uses quotes by the former head of the Iraq survey group claiming that he has good intel that WMDs went to Syria.
... said that he had uncovered evidence that unspecified materials had been moved to Syria shortly before last year's war to overthrow Saddam.

"We are not talking about a large stockpile of weapons," he said. "But we know from some of the interrogations of former Iraqi officials that a lot of material went to Syria before the war, including some components of Saddam's WMD programme. Precisely what went to Syria, and what has happened to it, is a major issue that needs to be resolved."
To you, "unspecified materials" and "components" = WMD?

Not massive stockpiles but incriminating evidence proving that Saddam did in fact violate the U.N. resolutions. I'm just wondering why don't people in the major media outlets go after these stories with the same feverish drive as they do trying to prove that Bush intentionally lied to lead us into a war for oil? Unbiased my ass bunch of freaking hypocrites if you ask me. This is a story that needs further investigation but will we get it? I doubt it.
I take you find the ISG investigation unworthy for some reason?

What the best info currently available re the WMD to Syria theory says.

Addendums to the Comprehensive Report of the Special Advisor to the DCI on Iraq’s WMD
(pdf) page1 (page 4 of the pdf)
ISG formed a working group to investigate the possibility of the evacuation of WMD-related material from Iraq prior to the 2003 war. This group spent several months examining documents, interviewing former Iraqi officials , examining previous intelligence reports, and conducting some site investigations. The declining security situation limited and finally halted this investigation. The results remain inconclusive, but further investigation may be undertaken when
circumstances on the ground improve.
The investigation centered on the possibility that WMD materials were moved to Syria. As is obvious from other sections of the Comprehensive Report, Syria was involved in transactions and shipments of military and other material to Iraq in contravention of the UN sanctions. This indicated a flexibility with respect to international law and a strong willingness to work with Iraq—at least when there was considerable profit for those involved. Whether Syria received military items from Iraq for safekeeping or other reasons has yet to be determined. There was evidence of a discussion of possible WMD collaboration initiated by a Syrian security officer, and ISG received information about movement of material out of Iraq, including the possibility that WMD was involved. In the judgment of the working group, these reports were sufficiently credible to merit further investigation.
ISG was unable to complete its investigation and is unable to rule out the possibility that WMD was evacuated to Syria before the war. It should be noted that no information from debriefing of Iraqis in custody supports this possibility. ISG found no senior policy, program, or intelligence officials who admitted any direct knowledge of such movement of WMD. Indeed, they uniformly denied any knowledge of residual WMD that could have been secreted to Syria.
Nevertheless, given the insular and compartmented nature of the Regime, ISG analysts believed there was enough evidence to merit further investigation.
It is worth noting that even if ISG had been able to fully examine all the leads it possessed, it is unlikely that conclusive information would have been found.
At best, barring discovery of original documentary evidence of the transfer, reports or sources may have been substantiated or negated, but firm conclusions on actual WMD movements may not be possible.
Based on the evidence available at present, ISG judged that it was unlikely that an official transfer of WMD material from Iraq to Syria took place. However, ISG was unable to rule out unofficial movement of limited WMD-related materials.
Note that "WMD-related materials" WMDs

But as WMD to Syria devotees and Bigfoot devotees are apt to say, "Absence of evidence does not equal evidence of absence. " And of course, they're both right.
However, in the meantime, folks in the reality-based community have to deal with the facts that are available and make the best decisions in light of what's known.
And, based on the evidence available at present, the WMD to Syria transfer theory seems unlikely. But, so does Bigfoot, so who's to say.

Back
Top Bottom