• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Iraqi version of Fox News

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
If you want to hear an un-biased news report, forget it! They are all biased in some form or another. But there is another way to find out how biased the media is. The reaction of Iraqi viewers to American-style news. In this thread, it is Iraq's version of Fox News, 60 Minutes, 20/20, etc. I find it very interesting what this average Iraqi citizen has to say about American television programming.

A first reaction to American Media
Iraqi viewer...
Two years ago, the major part of the war in Iraq was all about bombarding us with smart bombs and high-tech missiles. Now there’s a different sort of war -- or perhaps it’s just another phase of the same war. Now we’re being assailed with American media. It’s everywhere all at once.

In the words of John Trudell, here begins "the mining" of the viewers' thoughts.
Iraqi viewer...
With satellite access we are constantly listening to American music and watching American sitcoms and movies. To be fair -- it’s not just Iraq that is being targeted; it’s the whole region and it’s all being done very cleverly.

The Factor, with Bill Omar[ley]
Iraqi viewer...
Al-Hurra, the purported channel of freedom, is the American gift to the Arab world. What they do is show us translated documentaries about certain historical events (American documentaries) or about movie stars (American stars) or vacation spots. Throughout this, there are Arab anchors giving us the news (which is like watching Fox in Arabic). It’s news about the Arab world with the American twist.

They seem to be quicker at spotting the lies and dis-information than we are. Remember, they've only been watching a couple of years.
Iraqi viewer...
Our new “national” channels are a joke. One of the most amusing, in a gruesome sort of way, is Al-Iraqiya. It’s said to be American-sponsored but the attitude is decidedly pro-Iran, anti-Sunni. There’s a program where they parade "‘terrorists" on screen for us to see in an attempt to show us that our National Guard are not only good at raiding homes and harassing people in the streets.

The funny thing about the terrorists is that the majority of them have “Sunni” names like Omar and Othman, etc. They admit to doing things such as having sexual intercourse in mosques and raping women and the whole show is disgusting. Iraqis don’t believe it because it’s so obviously produced to support the American definition of the Iraqi, Sunni, Islamic fanatic that it is embarrassing. Couldn’t the PSYOPS people come up with anything more subtle?

The actual point of this thread. American Media bias from a non-American, non-mindless, non-flag-waving, non-neocon.
Iraqi viewer...
I’ve been enchanted with the shows these last few weeks. The thing that strikes me most is the fact that the news is so… clean. It’s like hospital food. It’s all organized and disinfected. Everything is partitioned and you can feel how it has been doled out carefully with extreme attention to the portions -- two minutes on women’s rights in Afghanistan, one minute on training troops in Iraq and twenty minutes on Terri Schiavo! All the reportages are upbeat and somewhat cheerful, and the anchor person manages to look properly concerned and completely uncaring all at once.

About a month ago, we were treated to an interview on 20/20 with Sabrina Harman -- the witch in some of the Abu Ghraib pictures. You know- -- the one smiling over faceless, naked Iraqis piled up to make a human pyramid. Elizabeth Vargus was doing the interview and the whole show was revolting. They were trying to portray Sabrina as an innocent who was caught up in military orders and fear of higher ranking officers. The show went on and on about how American troops never really got seminars on Geneva Conventions (like one needs to be taught humanity) and how poor Sabrina was being made a scapegoat. They showed the restaurant where she worked before the war and how everyone thought she was “such a nice person” who couldn’t hurt a fly!

We sat there watching like we were a part of another world, in another galaxy. I’ve always sensed from the various websites that American mainstream news is far-removed from reality. I just didn’t know how far. Everything is so tame and simplified. Everyone is so sincere.

Our final thought on Fridays show. And its a good one.
Iraqi viewer...
Furthermore, I don’t understand the world's fascination with reality shows. Survivor, The Bachelor, Murder in Small Town X, Faking It, The Contender… it’s endless. Is life so boring that people need to watch the conjured up lives of others?

I have a suggestion of my own for a reality show. Take 15 Bush supporters and throw them in a house in the suburbs of, say, Falloojeh for at least 14 days. We could watch them cope with the water problems, the lack of electricity, the check points, the raids, the Iraqi National Guard, the bombings, and -- oh yeah -- the "insurgents." We could watch their house bombed to the ground and their few belongings crushed under the weight of cement and brick or simply burned or riddled with bullets. We could see them try to rebuild their life with their bare hands (and the equivalent of $150)…

I’d not only watch *that* reality show, I’d tape every episode

The entire article can be found at the site below.

http://www.activistsreader.com/articles folder/riverbend-american-media.html

Anyone care to debate why we should bomb them with American Media.

Its interesting people don't see the significance of this.

All I see is a confused fellow, with a huge hard-on for Fox news, and it's too bad, because I don't think they make a cream for that.:doh

They still do have the option of turning the channel no?:confused:

Originally posted by Deegen:
All I see is a confused fellow, with a huge hard-on for Fox news, and it's too bad, because I don't think they make a cream for that.

They still do have the option of turning the channel no?
Thank you for the "huge" comment. I'll use that next time I'm with my garden tool!

Billo_Really said:
Thank you for the "huge" comment. I'll use that next time I'm with my garden tool!

How ever do you find the time for gardening, I mean.....with the entire Fox corporation to expose, and bring to it's knees?;)

Originally posted by Deegan:
How ever do you find the time for gardening, I mean.....with the entire Fox corporation to expose, and bring to it's knees
I wasn't talking about horticulture.

Billo_Really I nominate you as a site labeller. Because all you want to do is to see how many times you can say "neo-con" in a post. So I'm going to keep track of every time you say in a counter. Like how many times on South Park they said "S***". Or you can continue to post, your one sided arguments, and not except someone elses point of view, like you do on just about everyones debate. Have fun posting. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Originally posted by stsburns:
Billo_Really I nominate you as a site labeller. Because all you want to do is to see how many times you can say "neo-con" in a post. So I'm going to keep track of every time you say in a counter. Like how many times on South Park they said "S***". Or you can continue to post, your one sided arguments, and not except someone elses point of view, like you do on just about everyones debate. Have fun posting
I see your point and accept that it is yours.

Deegan that is SKY NEWS m8, Billo has got a point there, anyway i have a drink on me to nite,plus u fellas r the best

again and again

near a 11 o clock in the UK

good night my good friends

u guys r the salt of the earth.

mikeey

Nobody wants to debate why we should bomb Iraq with our bad programming and plethora of channels that do nothing but try to seed the minds of the weak.

Billo_Really said:
Nobody wants to debate why we should bomb Iraq with our bad programming and plethora of channels that do nothing but try to seed the minds of the weak.

Hey, they bought the dish dude, no one has twisted their arms. I think you are just upset that they all want to watch Fox news!:rofl

Hey, they bought the dish dude, no one has twisted their arms. I think you are just upset that they all want to watch Fox news
I take it you didn't read the article?

Billo_Really said:
I take it you didn't read the article?

We have been over this, it's a blog, with one person making assumptions, and berating our choice of entertainment here, so what? As I said, they don't have to watch, but I think it's a brilliant way for them to get to know us. I think they will find that we are simple people, with simple pleasures, I certainly get that from our choice of programming, lol. It's an arrogant lot that thinks that they can judge a nation by the television we watch, sure, we have some simple folks, but our nation is strong, resilient, and free, hence the crap you see on most nights.

We have been over this, it's a blog, with one person making assumptions, and berating our choice of entertainment here, so what? As I said, they don't have to watch, but I think it's a brilliant way for them to get to know us. I think they will find that we are simple people, with simple pleasures, I certainly get that from our choice of programming, lol. It's an arrogant lot that thinks that they can judge a nation by the television we watch, sure, we have some simple folks, but our nation is strong, resilient, and free, hence the crap you see on most nights.
I don't think you are getting the point of the article or why I posted it. As for "...the crap you see on most nights." It is because we are a stupid, lazy country of TV-grown idiots.

Billo_Really said:
I don't think you are getting the point of the article or why I posted it. As for "...the crap you see on most nights." It is because we are a stupid, lazy country of TV-grown idiots.

I know all about your point, we are all idiots, America sucks, and God forbid someone watch our news, our, t.v programs, anything that we do, because it's all evil trash in your eyes. We get it dude, we get it.:roll:

I know all about your point, we are all idiots, America sucks, and God forbid someone watch our news, our, t.v programs, anything that we do, because it's all evil trash in your eyes. We get it dude, we get it
Apparently, you don't get it. Stop talking to yourself! Because then, you might start to see my point.

There's a reason this thread keeps dropping to the bottom as if a huge rock was tied to it, I'll just continue to let it sink, as the only one talking to himself, is you.:doh

There's a reason this thread keeps dropping to the bottom as if a huge rock was tied to it, I'll just continue to let it sink, as the only one talking to himself, is you.
You would rather run away, as if a killer-rabbit was in the area, than try to see someone else's point of view? Is it really that painful?

Deegan said:
Hey, they bought the dish dude, no one has twisted their arms. I think you are just upset that they all want to watch Fox news!:rofl

Plenty of countries have Government Sponsored TV - Rupert Murdoch's News Corp is one of the leaders in this field: China,UK,Australia and Faux Newz.

The problem is: we're trying to "spread democracy" in Iraq while bombarding them with fake news and fake journalism.

Deegan - can't you see the irony in that?

Billo_Really said:
If you want to hear an un-biased news report, forget it! They are all biased in some form or another. But there is another way to find out how biased the media is. The reaction of Iraqi viewers to American-style news. In this thread, it is Iraq's version of Fox News, 60 Minutes, 20/20, etc. I find it very interesting what this average Iraqi citizen has to say about American television programming.

A first reaction to American Media

In the words of John Trudell, here begins "the mining" of the viewers' thoughts.

The Factor, with Bill Omar[ley]

They seem to be quicker at spotting the lies and dis-information than we are. Remember, they've only been watching a couple of years.

The actual point of this thread. American Media bias from a non-American, non-mindless, non-flag-waving, non-neocon.

Our final thought on Fridays show. And its a good one.

The entire article can be found at the site below.

http://www.activistsreader.com/articles folder/riverbend-american-media.html

Anyone care to debate why we should bomb them with American Media.

heh reminds me of 1984

Originally posted by Red_Dave:
heh reminds me of 1984
You got it! I'm surprized that average Iraqis caught on so quick about how stuff coming out of the box is pre-packaged and meant for you to hear.

hipsterdufus said:
Plenty of countries have Government Sponsored TV - Rupert Murdoch's News Corp is one of the leaders in this field: China,UK,Australia and Faux Newz.

The problem is: we're trying to "spread democracy" in Iraq while bombarding them with fake news and fake journalism.

Deegan - can't you see the irony in that?

If it were indeed "fake" I would never have entered this discussion. I don't believe our news is fake, it is right leaning, and left leaning, but millions upon millions demand another look, they are getting what they want. I would prefer to have our news just be straight fact telling, but folks don't want to see that, they want to be told how to think, some are not as intelligent as others.

If it were indeed "fake" I would never have entered this discussion. I don't believe our news is fake, it is right leaning, and left leaning, but millions upon millions demand another look, they are getting what they want. I would prefer to have our news just be straight fact telling, but folks don't want to see that, they want to be told how to think, some are not as intelligent as others.
I'm not sure "fake" is the right word for it. Let me put it this way, everything you see on television, you are meant to see. Think about it. Or go read either of Gerry Manders' books.

Billo_Really said:
You got it! I'm surprized that average Iraqis caught on so quick about how stuff coming out of the box is pre-packaged and meant for you to hear.

Shame that most of america is not as quick on the uptake

Originally Posted by Red_Dave:
Shame that most of america is not as quick on the uptake
Ain't that the truth.

Back
Top Bottom